Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

couple of SERT questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 01:51 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default couple of SERT questions

I've reached a point where I really need to buy a SERT my bike backfires so much with the DFO I almost can't stand to ride it.Do you have to have a laptop to use a SERT or can you upload from your desktop and walk it out to the bike and install maps etc?Also is there any place you can buy one online cheaper than the Harley dealer? Google search is not helping me here.How hard are these things to install? I understand that the sert isn't really installed as much as pluged in but how much damage can I do removing the DFO and installing the SERT?

Old 09-02-2006, 03:28 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: couple of SERT questions

You don't need a laptop, it only makes it a little more convenient. You do need to have a serial port and most of the newer laptops don't have one so you have to buy PCMCIA Serial Port Card. Your desktop will work just fine. You can buy a SERT from Zanotti's at a 20% discount but remember it doesn't include the cables this year and you have to buy them seperately or make your own. Just another way for HD to make more money. You are right about the SERT not being installed, it is only used as the interface between your computer and your bike to program your ECM on your bike and once used it can't be used on any other bike but your own. Sorry, but I can't answer your question about the DFO

Old 09-03-2006, 04:26 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: couple of SERT questions

ORIGINAL: SPECIAL ED

I've reached a point where I really need to buy a SERT my bike backfires so much with the DFO I almost can't stand to ride it.Do you have to have a laptop to use a SERT or can you upload from your desktop and walk it out to the bike and install maps etc?Also is there any place you can buy one online cheaper than the Harley dealer? Google search is not helping me here.How hard are these things to install? I understand that the sert isn't really installed as much as pluged in but how much damage can I do removing the DFO and installing the SERT?

Any computer will work but has to be in cable reach of the MC. You could get a long serial cable and run it out the window.

I got mine on ebay. Do a search for screamin eagle race tuner

There are currently 14 running.

It must never have been used. They hard code themselfs to the ecm of the motorcycle.