Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

VCI Update Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default VCI Update Issues.

I recently upgraded my SEPST software to the latest version and this included a flash update to the VCI. I’ve been tweaking the timing advance tables of my calibration so I put the VCI on the bike and activated it for data recording.
I pulled out onto the street and immediately noticed that both the tach and speedometer were at zero regardless of engine or vehicle speed. I went ahead and rode a bit, but I had wanted to get data at specific speeds and rpms and throttle positions, so this ability was compromised.

I reflashed my calibration, and tried a number of other things, but the speedometer and tach worked fine in every case until I attached the VCI and activated it for data recording. Once the VCI was activated, it would record data fine but the tach and speedometer would no longer function.

Now, my bike is an 08 Fat Bob. I use a tach when I ride but the bike didn’t come with a tach so back when I got the bike I purchased the Combination Speedometer/Tachometer - Spun Aluminum Face, Part No. 74718-08, which has always worked fine. So I figure since the updated VCI just doesn’t like the Speedo/Tach.

I contacted my dealer and spoke to the tech that runs the dyno and is most familiar with the SEPST. He hadn’t heard of this problem and hadn’t seen any tech bulletins about it. I contacted HD corporate and they just referred me back to my dealer. So I Googled SPX and found a number to call. The problem was that the automated attendant just told me to enter the extension of the person I wished to speak with. I had no idea, but it gave me to option to search by last name so I entered the keys for smith on my phone and I got four hits. All went to voicemail except for the last one. I explained the problem and Mr. Smith transferred me to the right guy. I again explained the problem and this guy was extremely concerned and helpful. The next day I received a email saying that they had been able to recreate the problem with the Tach/Speedo. The next week I received a fix which I installed and it did indeed fix the problem. I was also informed that there would be an update in February.

The willingness to help, and the level of support and knowledge at SPX was very good. HD?? Not so much.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

There are two forms of update. The software update and the VCI update.

The software update comes first.

With the VCI attached you then update the VCI.

Did you update the VCI this way?

also... are you running stock plug wires?

There is a reason I asked.... some that use the SEPro don't know about the VCI update and it is a separate procedure.

Next, I had the same issue with the tach/speedo. Had to go back to the stock plug wires. Seems the aftermarket interfered with both the tach/speedo and the radio operation of all things. Once replaced, everything worked fine.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 01-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
There are two forms of update. The software update and the VCI update.

The software update comes first.

With the VCI attached you then update the VCI.

Did you update the VCI this way?
Yes. I ran the upgrade from a disc. After upgrading the software there was a message saying there was also a VCI update. I attached the Computer and VCI to the bike, powered the bike and did the VCI update.

also... are you running stock plug wires?
Yes, I had heard some time ago that aftermarket plug wires can compromise the ION sensing for knock detect.

There is a reason I asked.... some that use the SEPro don't know about the VCI update and it is a separate procedure.
In my case it notified me after the software update that there was also a firmware update for the VCI.

Next, I had the same issue with the tach/speedo. Had to go back to the stock plug wires. Seems the aftermarket interfered with both the tach/speedo and the radio operation of all things. Once replaced, everything worked fine.
I have heard of these types of problems with newer engines (cars and bikes) using low resistance wires.

In my case it was definately due to the accessory Tach/Speedo being clobbered by the firmware update. Without the VCI everything worked perfectly. Attach the VCI and activate it and the Tach/Speedo die. SPX recreated this issue using my configuration and developed a fix. They were kind enough to send me a pre release. The official release of the fix will be included in an update released in February.

Last edited by jluvs2ride; 01-07-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Jackie999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
The next week I received a fix which I installed and it did indeed fix the problem. I was also informed that there would be an update in February.
Great info, but what type of fix was it. A software patch for the tuner or a some type of patch for the bike? I did not realize SPX was "support" for the super tuner or even would talk to a non-dealership person. What number did you call.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jackie999
Great info, but what type of fix was it. A software patch for the tuner or a some type of patch for the bike? I did not realize SPX was "support" for the super tuner or even would talk to a non-dealership person. What number did you call.
The fix was a file that flashed a firmware update to my VCI.

SPX does not do end user support, HD requires all support go through the dealer network. I just kinda did an end run and got lucky.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was with the 2011 software ? Works fine with just a speedo. What is the version you are running now ? Mine is 4.003.0002.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RA51
That was with the 2011 software ? Works fine with just a speedo. What is the version you are running now ? Mine is 4.003.0002.
Yep, that's what I have. Evidently the problem only manifests with the accessory Speedo/Tach combo.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed SEPST, ran the updated to my PC when I loaded the software, then when I connected the VCI to my bike, it told me to wait for a VCI update. Here are the versions I have:

Description
Version
Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner Software Version
Vehicle Communication Interface Software Version

Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Just a suggestion but...

If you guys with the SEPro would start a thread about the SEPro and it's functions, abilities and inabilities... Maybe toss in "how to smarttune". I could easily make it a sticky much like the TTS has at the top of this forum.

I don't know why this hasn't been discussed before but we could make it happen. Anyone want to volunteer and start a SEPro discussion thread?

Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Just a suggestion but...

If you guys with the SEPro would start a thread about the SEPro and it's functions, abilities and inabilities... Maybe toss in "how to smarttune". I could easily make it a sticky much like the TTS has at the top of this forum.

I don't know why this hasn't been discussed before but we could make it happen. Anyone want to volunteer and start a SEPro discussion thread?
I think this is a great idea. I'll see if I can work on something to start it.

Quick Reply: VCI Update Issues.