Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

iclick, sorry if I missed the answer earlier in the thread, but a couple questions. Now that you had some time to experiment with the PV, is there a feature that enables you to data log and determine exact VE numbers for your bike - Similar to TTS Data Master and vtune?

Also are you able to record data, monitor for front and rear cylinder knock retard and develop spark timing tables based on your specific setup? I'm trying to understand to what extent basemaps can be revised or developed from scratch, without a dyno.

Just for full disclosure, iclick already knows this, I am a new user to TTS, but following the PV with high interest. As I mentined at some point earlier, I think PV is going to mature into a stellar product very quickly.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by atrain68
iclick, sorry if I missed the answer earlier in the thread, but a couple questions. Now that you had some time to experiment with the PV, is there a feature that enables you to data log and determine exact VE numbers for your bike - Similar to TTS Data Master and vtune?
You can datalog now but there is no such app like V-Tune available at this time. Two AT apps (Basic and Pro) will offer diagnostic features and at least one person is beta-testing the Pro version for WB sensors now, so maybe he'll drop us some tidbits. In the meantime I'll try to find out more on my own. The Basic version for NB sensors will be developed after the Pro is introduced.

Also are you able to record data, monitor for front and rear cylinder knock retard and develop spark timing tables based on your specific setup? I'm trying to understand to what extent basemaps can be revised or developed from scratch, without a dyno.
Yes, I'm doing that now by datalogging the Front and Rear Spark Retard signals. I can put these and other data--like TP, MAP, RPM, etc.--into a spreadsheet and analyze it.

Just for full disclosure, iclick already knows this, I am a new user to TTS, but following the PV with high interest. As I mentined at some point earlier, I think PV is going to mature into a stellar product very quickly.
Based on what I'm seeing in the first month that I've owned the PV, DJ is very responsive to the suggestions of owners, and I don't think it will be long before it has state-of-the-art diagnostics for us to use.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:46 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoppaEvil
Pretty square guide up front on the first page, (thanks). I bought my PV a couple weeks ago when I knew the ECM was going to need flashed. It was either pay the dealer $189.00 for a one time flash and not know what the settings are or were, or buy the PV and keep my factory settings and know what the new settings were flashed to.
When the PV was announced it was suggest it could not only save the stock
ECU setting but could actually see them. I was thinking this way you could compare a bike with a $$ dealer download and the default from the factory flash.
Did this feature come to pass ?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I have Both TTS and PV and dont know how to use either well but have played more with the TTS. I am ready to do cams this weekend. I got the PV because of its awesome support system I just want my bike to run......
I am thinking there is no reason I could not make a exact map from PV manually in TTS and get the VEs tuned in closer in the PV. I expect Fuel motos map they gave me to be good.
The lap top runs are a big turn off for me I am betting on PV and getting better in the future.
I am not sure what all is in line for the TTS they are talking about getting some exact number based on your bike idling and then getting another number on a dyno run. Like PV waiting for updates for TTS.
With both tuners on hand I feel I have it covered. Ha ha ha.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
What makes this more confusing is that historically I've always thought about pressure in PSI, and more currently throttle input as TP rather than KPA. The agony and confusion is extended when they construct the VE tables as RPM-TP and Spark Advance as RPM-KPA.

That makes sense, as I'm at 25' above sea level as I type this. I assume that if I want to determine atmospheric pressure at a given moment I can just turn the ignition on without starting the bike and look at the MAP gauge. So, with my small air-temp gauge all I need is a humidistat and wind-velocity gauge and I'll have a mini weather station on-board. A weather radar would be a nice addition to the next PV firmware, too, BTW. I'll need to ask DJ about that, as they've been responsive to such requests in the past.
I always thought weather radar on a bike would be useful, but is it even possible?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iclick-

I read through the PV manual tonight and I have a question. As I understand the manual, Saving a copy of the stock tune does not marry the ECM to the PV, but Loading a copy of the stock tune to the tune manager on the PV does marry the two. If you save the stock tune and then flash the ECM with a custom tune or DJ canned tune it seems to me that these units could be used on more than one bike (as long as you do not load a copy of stock tune to the tune manager on the PV). Does the PV require you to load a copy of the stock tune to the tune manager prior to flashing the ECM with a custom or DJ tune? I do not plan on editing my stock tune, so why bother loading it to the tune manager if it is not required?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Dustball
Road Master

Originally Posted by hornhonker
When the PV was announced it was suggest it could not only save the stock
ECU setting but could actually see them. I was thinking this way you could compare a bike with a $$ dealer download and the default from the factory flash.
Did this feature come to pass ?
Yes, there is a "Save Stock" function for backing up your stock ECU tune. Then with your Power Vision plugged into your computer and using the WinPV application you can then use the Backup STK function to pull it into your computer.

For viewing/editing your stock tune, you must first Load copy of stock, select a slot to store it (slots 1-6). Then you connect your PV to your computer, and running WinPV perform a Get Tune function which downloads the stock tune to the Active tune. From here you can save/modify/save the tune as a standard PV .pvt file.

-Dusty

Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 AM
Dustball
Road Master

Originally Posted by 883_dave
.... Maybe eventually we can get a general Power Vision section here on the forums like they have for some of the other tuners.
It was mentioned a few times in the Electrical/Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection section.

-Dusty

Old 03-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Dustball
Road Master

Originally Posted by 883_dave
iclick-

I read through the PV manual tonight and I have a question. As I understand the manual, Saving a copy of the stock tune does not marry the ECM to the PV, but Loading a copy of the stock tune to the tune manager on the PV does marry the two. If you save the stock tune and then flash the ECM with a custom tune or DJ canned tune it seems to me that these units could be used on more than one bike (as long as you do not load a copy of stock tune to the tune manager on the PV). Does the PV require you to load a copy of the stock tune to the tune manager prior to flashing the ECM with a custom or DJ tune? I do not plan on editing my stock tune, so why bother loading it to the tune manager if it is not required?
I know how the documentation reads, but rest assured that you can't flash any type of tune without the PV being married to that ECM. All of the other PV features will still work on other bikes / ECM's, but it will only flash the ECM it's married to.

-Dusty

Last edited by Dustball; 03-26-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:36 AM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustball
I know how the documentation reads, but rest assured that you can't flash any type of tune without the PV being married to that ECM. All of the other PV features will still work on other bikes / ECM's, but it will only flash the ECM it's married to.

-Dusty
Thanks Dusty, that's what I figured. I just thought I would ask before I actually married the PV to my bike.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread