Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by henrybennett
Thanks Delta. It baffles me tho that the autotune doesn't appear to make any changes to the map. I've imported the original & autotune maps into WinPV and the compare facility shows no change. Surely a map can't be perfect, even if it was set up on a dyno?
Did you read the link I had in a previous message?

Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Teche
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I can't get front o2 off without taking the header off, I took it up to get gas, same thing, front one its in open loop, so no cells get populated. I checked for codes, and the check engine lite is off. Guess I'll take it off when it cools.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 AM
bohica48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teche
Ok, I can't get front o2 off without taking the header off, I took it up to get gas, same thing, front one its in open loop, so no cells get populated. I checked for codes, and the check engine lite is off. Guess I'll take it off when it cools.
Can't you just swap them at the electrical connection without removing the 02 sensor themselves?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Delta
Road Master

Originally Posted by bohica48
Can't you just swap them at the electrical connection without removing the 02 sensor themselves?
I was just thinking that as well. You're not going to use the results, just check to see if you now get a change in readings. Just don't forget what color connector goes to which side.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Delta
Road Master
Post Getting ready to autotune

1. Update Tune: To update your tune, ensure your Power Vision is plugged into your computer via USB and then launch WinPV. In WinPV open the tune that you want to use. Goto PowerVision on the menu bar, select “Update tune using PV... When the tune has finished updating note the name of tune at the top left corner of the screen. SAVE AS whatever name you want to give it. Do not name it the same as the file you just modified or it will be overwritten. Goto PowerVision select Send Tune to PV and select the slot you want to send it to. The only time you should do an Update tune is if the Firmware has changed and there may be new items added to the program. This will enable your older tunes to be compliant with the autotune process. If this is the first time you will have used the new autotune PV update the tune you are going to use now.
  2. Connect the PV to your bike, ignition on, run switch in the run position. Goto the Program Vehicle menu in the PV, select Autotune, select the tune you want to autotune (from Step 1.) On the next screen if all you have are the stock narrow band sensors, select Basic. At this time the tune will be modified for the autotuning process. Select Continue. Follow all the screen prompts and when it says to Turn the Key Off, turn the key off. Wait at least 10 seconds and turn the key back on.
  3. Goto Program Vehicle, select Autotune, at this point the screen you are now looking at should have the Enable AT already selected for you. Start the bike up and select Datalog. The Green Screen should now be present and will wait for the engine to get to temp before recording data. As you ride around collecting data you should see the different cells starting to be populated. DO NOT STARE AT THE SCREEN WHILE DRIVING!
  4. When you have finished with this datarun, select Exit.
  5. From the next screen select Export Learned then following the prompts choose the slot where you want the new learned values saved to. Remember the slot and the name of the file. Be careful not to overwite a file you don't want to. (You did save all your stuff on your hard drive – right!)
  6. From the Autotune screen select Disable AT and then follow the prompts.
  7. Goto Program Vehicle, Load Tune, Custom Tunes, and select the tune you just saved. Load this into the ECM. I have gotten into the habit of always getting out of the autotune process and will either load the original tune or the one I just created. Will anything happen if you don't, I don't know.
  8. Remove the PV from the bike and connect to your computer, open WinPV
  9. Select PowerVision from the menu, select Get Tune from PV...and it will be displayed.
  10. Select Load Compare, select the file you used to make the new autotune file. Hopefully at this point you should have a yellow triangle on those tune items that have changed.

Disclaimer: I am in no way a tuning expert, just a novice. This is what has worked for me and is only shared with you to accept or reject. Nor am I an eloquent manual writer. I hope that those with more experience in these matters will add to this list; or, modify it as necessary. You can try this but you do so at your own risk,

Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 PM
henrybennett
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Delta
Did you read the link I had in a previous message?
I think I've read just about everything but will go through your latest post especially to ensure I'm doing it right.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM
henrybennett
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Delta
  1. Update Tune: To update your tune, ensure your Power Vision is plugged into your computer via USB and then launch WinPV. In WinPV open the tune that you want to use. Goto PowerVision on the menu bar, select “Update tune using PV... When the tune has finished updating note the name of tune at the top left corner of the screen. SAVE AS whatever name you want to give it. Do not name it the same as the file you just modified or it will be overwritten. Goto PowerVision select Send Tune to PV and select the slot you want to send it to. The only time you should do an Update tune is if the Firmware has changed and there may be new items added to the program. This will enable your older tunes to be compliant with the autotune process. If this is the first time you will have used the new autotune PV update the tune you are going to use now.
  2. Connect the PV to your bike, ignition on, run switch in the run position. Goto the Program Vehicle menu in the PV, select Autotune, select the tune you want to autotune (from Step 1.) On the next screen if all you have are the stock narrow band sensors, select Basic. At this time the tune will be modified for the autotuning process. Select Continue. Follow all the screen prompts and when it says to Turn the Key Off, turn the key off. Wait at least 10 seconds and turn the key back on.
  3. Goto Program Vehicle, select Autotune, at this point the screen you are now looking at should have the Enable AT already selected for you. Start the bike up and select Datalog. The Green Screen should now be present and will wait for the engine to get to temp before recording data. As you ride around collecting data you should see the different cells starting to be populated. DO NOT STARE AT THE SCREEN WHILE DRIVING!
  4. When you have finished with this datarun, select Exit.
  5. From the next screen select Export Learned then following the prompts choose the slot where you want the new learned values saved to. Remember the slot and the name of the file. Be careful not to overwite a file you don't want to. (You did save all your stuff on your hard drive – right!)
  6. From the Autotune screen select Disable AT and then follow the prompts.
  7. Goto Program Vehicle, Load Tune, Custom Tunes, and select the tune you just saved. Load this into the ECM. I have gotten into the habit of always getting out of the autotune process and will either load the original tune or the one I just created. Will anything happen if you don't, I don't know.
  8. Remove the PV from the bike and connect to your computer, open WinPV
  9. Select PowerVision from the menu, select Get Tune from PV...and it will be displayed.
  10. Select Load Compare, select the file you used to make the new autotune file. Hopefully at this point you should have a yellow triangle on those tune items that have changed.

Disclaimer: I am in no way a tuning expert, just a novice. This is what has worked for me and is only shared with you to accept or reject. Nor am I an eloquent manual writer. I hope that those with more experience in these matters will add to this list; or, modify it as necessary. You can try this but you do so at your own risk,

Delta, your step 3 is where I seem to fail. As I'm riding along the cells flash but nothing is entered and the screen just reads NBF 0 & NBR 0!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Delta, your step 3 is where I seem to fail. As I'm riding along the cells flash but nothing is entered and the screen just reads NBF 0 & NBR 0!
I'm relatively new to the whole Power Vision deal but I'll try to help if I can. I'm not sure what your setup was BEFORE the Power Vision, but you may want to look and make sure your stock narrow band O2 sensors are hooked up. If you were using say a Power Commander III or V you may of had O2 sensor eliminators installed. NBF 0 and NBR 0 means the ECU is not getting any signal from the narrow band O2 sensors and since there is no signal Power Vision can't make any changes or log any info from them. Now, if you're using the Dynojet Autotune module you need to be selecting "Pro" in the Autotune menu.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Delta
Road Master

From the Autotune screen, select Settings and tell me what the values are.
I don't have my PV at home. I think my values are:

Min Hit Count (5 ticks)
Min VE Learn 0.1%
Max VE Learn 15%
Max Spark Learn 0%
Min Engine Temp 165

Or you could try changing the settings to Reset all to Defaults.

Rerun the PV Update Client and select all files that are different to update.

As a last ditch effort you could remove the WinPV completely from your computer and reload the program from scratch.

I don't know what else to tell you as I seem to have come to the end of what I think I know. It might be tech support time for you. Sorry.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Delta
Road Master

Hey Q great catch.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread