Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
csv files are comma seperated variable text files that can be easily viewed in a text reader, or more importantly imported into excel spreadsheets, or other programs for analysis.

Not sure what the difference is with the pvv logs.

thanks for the clarification

i just went for a little log run without autotune, the result was a pvv file. would it be correct to assume i only get csv logs from logging autotune runs?

is it possible to make csv logs without autotuning ?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM
ssmith579
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pvv files are created during an autotune run. To create the csv file, go to datalogging and set up the values you want to log. Then go into gauges and hit Start Log.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM
kranky
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. What did I do wrong this time?
2. Tried justdennis's decel pop changes, and they did nothing for me and the bike did not want to idle....at all. So took those tweeks out and went back to the ve tables and added 5% (fuel) to all cells in the zero throttle position. Much better results. However, these changes got me in trouble with my files..... So back now to 1.
So I had an autotune file which I retrieved in winpv and made the above changes to. Sent it back to the device, but it would not flash to the ecm.
I'm guessing the file came out of winpv as a pvv file. You have to be able to tweek an autotuned file and put it back in the ecm. Thanks, Kranky in ky.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

So what parameters do others use in the 6 field gauges screen on the PV??? I currently have

Engine Temp / Fuel Eco Instant

Baro / Fuel Eco Trip A

Fr Adapt fuel / Rr Adapt fuel

I'm not sure the last 2 are the best. Anyone have better suggestions for gauges? My map is open loop so no point in the closed loop integrator fields.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I like to run engine temp, fron and rear knock, MAP, intake air temp, and rpm. I'm fine tuning some knock issues in the 3-4.5K 90+ map areas right now and those are the most helpful to me right now. That's what I love about this thing, when my needs change my gauges can change with them.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
I like to run engine temp, fron and rear knock, MAP, intake air temp, and rpm. I'm fine tuning some knock issues in the 3-4.5K 90+ map areas right now and those are the most helpful to me right now. That's what I love about this thing, when my needs change my gauges can change with them.
My tune is as close to 0 knock as its going to get. Once the weather gets warmer I think it would be useful to display the front & rear knock fields for making adjustments to the new "spark advance by temp tables". But if you had no knock issues whatsoever, what fields would you use in place of the front & rear knock gauges?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by marknett
My 2012 dyna switchback hates 2000 rpm's . lugs very badly there . Stay in 5th gear and keep rpms around 2500 to 3000 for cruising . I only run 6th gear if i am able to be at or above 2300 rpm's .usually on interstate. 2000 rpms in 6th gear feels like it is beating the bearings out of the lower end This is jmo.
Good advice. You'll also get better gas mileage by keeping the rpm's up there a little. Running below 23/2400 rpms in 6th will keep you jumping up into the 60 and 70 kPa cells at the slightest twist of the throttle. 2500 rpms will help you stay in the 40 50 kPa cells during cruising.

Also running it in the low 2000's in 6th it will be prone to more knock events if not dialed in spot on. These bikes really need to stay above 2500 rpms, they just seem to like it there and higher.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Heatwave
My tune is as close to 0 knock as its going to get. Once the weather gets warmer I think it would be useful to display the front & rear knock fields for making adjustments to the new "spark advance by temp tables". But if you had no knock issues whatsoever, what fields would you use in place of the front & rear knock gauges?
02 voltages might be a good one to watch ocassionally. Over time they degrade or become sluggish.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 AM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
I've had similar challenges in the past - same range. I believe I've read that others have as well. At some point, if you're not hearing anything and the amount is small, you just need to ignore it. If I understand it right, at some point your temps will start going back up if you remove too much advance; possibly leading to more pinging. One thing I do with spark tuning is not leave the tune at the ".*" value that Log Tuner selects. It is conservative in removing spark advance and does so in small increments. Where it wants to remove spark advance, I tend to take it down a full degree or 2 to speed up the process.
Persoanlly I like the conservative approach. Sometimes as little as a 1/2 a degree will cause a 2* retard. There's no need to pull 2 right away if all you needed was say .5. I look at the data log. If the spreadsheet shows it pulled 4 degrees, I pull out 2. If it pulled 2, I pull out 1. Once the table is at the verge of pinging in most areas then I back the table down 3 degrees.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

If I wasn't chasing a specific event I would probably keep the gauges the same accept for the knock, maybe just play with a couple of other options or move to a four gauge setup.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread