Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
So I got a note from Jamie at FM a week or so back and he said we needed to address my map after the Dynojet rep made some changes via remote PC link. I don't know what needed to be address and I have not heard back from him yet either.

I did some data logs and I still have some knock events, but I don't hear any pinging. Most of the knock events are 2* or less on the front cylinder only in the 60 kpa column from 1750 to 2750 rpm. I had one 7* pull, but it was getting pretty warm in stop and go when that happened so I think that was just an anomaly.

Question is, what is considered a minor knock event and what is considered a major knock event? What should I ignore and what should I worry about trying to fix? I have done auto tunes and I have done Log Tuner tunes. Both say my VE's are no more that 2-3 off so the VE's are dialed in and when using Log Tuner it doesn't ever want to pull more that point 2 or point 3 degrees of timing in a few places.

I have created several new tunes using the Lot Tuner allowing it to pull those small amounts of timing, but I still keep getting the knock events in the same places. I even allowed it to readjust the VE tables in the last two Log Tuner maps, but no real change in knock events and again the VE table changes were less than the 5%.
I've had similar challenges in the past - same range. I believe I've read that others have as well. At some point, if you're not hearing anything and the amount is small, you just need to ignore it. If I understand it right, at some point your temps will start going back up if you remove too much advance; possibly leading to more pinging. One thing I do with spark tuning is not leave the tune at the ".*" value that Log Tuner selects. It is conservative in removing spark advance and does so in small increments. Where it wants to remove spark advance, I tend to take it down a full degree or 2 to speed up the process.

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 04-04-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried to add fuel to that cell to see what happens. A few have suggested that and seems to make sense.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
ssmith579
Tourer

Originally Posted by Delta
If you still can't see it after selecting Pro Mode, leave the tune open in WinPV, Go to the upper menu bar, PowerVision/Update Tune using PV. You will have to have the PV connected to your PC. This adds all the new tables to the tune you are using. Keep track of what you are updating.
Thanks Delta! That was it. Now I have all the new tables and speedo calibration.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks everyone. I got a new map from Jamie at FM yesterday. He said to run this one and do some logs to see how it was running and what the timing was doing. He also said we would address the timing till we got it right and then work on mpg later if it wasn't doing better by then.

Jim, the knock events are mostly during cruise. No load running near a constant speed with rpm 2000 - 2500 and the KPA in the 60's. It is kind of hard to tell, but I am thinking it is happening when I start down a slight hill where I drop TP a couple. I don't really see much when I am doing hard roll ons.

The weather is supposed to be better Friday and Saturday so I hope to get some riding in to see how the new map works. Like I said before, the bike seems to run great and I don't hear any pinging so the ECM is catching it before it starts or it is a false knock event. They only last about 5-8 milliseconds' and usually no more than 2* pulled when they show up although I have had the occasional 4*, but those are rare.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
marknett
Advanced

My 2012 dyna switchback hates 2000 rpm's . lugs very badly there . Stay in 5th gear and keep rpms around 2500 to 3000 for cruising . I only run 6th gear if i am able to be at or above 2300 rpm's .usually on interstate. 2000 rpms in 6th gear feels like it is beating the bearings out of the lower end This is jmo.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

Originally Posted by marknett
My 2012 dyna switchback hates 2000 rpm's . lugs very badly there . Stay in 5th gear and keep rpms around 2500 to 3000 for cruising . I only run 6th gear if i am able to be at or above 2300 rpm's .usually on interstate. 2000 rpms in 6th gear feels like it is beating the bearings out of the lower end This is jmo.
While tuning, one can hit areas that you would not normally spend much time riding in.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
Thanks everyone. I got a new map from Jamie at FM yesterday. He said to run this one and do some logs to see how it was running and what the timing was doing. He also said we would address the timing till we got it right and then work on mpg later if it wasn't doing better by then.

Jim, the knock events are mostly during cruise. No load running near a constant speed with rpm 2000 - 2500 and the KPA in the 60's. It is kind of hard to tell, but I am thinking it is happening when I start down a slight hill where I drop TP a couple. I don't really see much when I am doing hard roll ons.

The weather is supposed to be better Friday and Saturday so I hope to get some riding in to see how the new map works. Like I said before, the bike seems to run great and I don't hear any pinging so the ECM is catching it before it starts or it is a false knock event. They only last about 5-8 milliseconds' and usually no more than 2* pulled when they show up although I have had the occasional 4*, but those are rare.
Glad to hear you have another map to try out. Sometimes that cruise ping is a bear to nail down. Rollons seem to be an easy fix. Once you try the new map, if it cures it, do a delta compare and see what's the difference between maps. I'm curious to hear what was going on when you get it squared away. Will be good info for everyone else too if they run into the same situation.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 AM
goats
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stailjim61
You shouldn't be seeing any timing being added. The system is designed, as far as I know, to pull timing when a knock is detected. I'm not aware of any way the system can add timing. Are you sure you're looking at the timing and not the VE's?

thanks for the help.

i am looking at knock and timing but was confused by the mix of positive and negative numbers, i think looking at pvv logs was part of the problem as i find the csv logs a little more informative and better laid out (i'm learning)

what is the difference between a pvv log and a csv log, and why do we have both?

now that i am looking at a csv log i see no knock event till near the end of the file.
the first event starts off at about 4 then goes to 4.5 moves down to .5 for the rest of the file but never returns to 0 all in the front cylinder.
the first 3/4 of the log has no events

Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 AM
brownfoxx1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save all these articles to notepad for future reference.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by goats

what is the difference between a pvv log and a csv log, and why do we have both?
csv files are comma seperated variable text files that can be easily viewed in a text reader, or more importantly imported into excel spreadsheets, or other programs for analysis.

Not sure what the difference is with the pvv logs.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread