Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:33 PM
stailjim61
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lrcormier
I've run several auto tunes with PV and AT-110 and I'm happy with the way my bike is running so would like to periodically run some DATA LOGS on my current tune so I can monitor how things are going and make changes if I need to. I do have the latest software versions of WinPV and PV log tuner however it does not appera that the users guide for log Tuner have been updated, is there a newer one available, couldn't find one on Fuel MOto website. Also I have the Fuel Moto Jackpot Header installed so I will be using both the OEM narrow band sensors and the AT-110 wide band sensors at the same time, by doing this my understanding is that I can do Log Runs using my native MAP. My questions are;
1. Are you still required to enter the unlock pin 319245?
2. What should the hit count be I think default is 5 or 10?
3. I've got two guides for Log Tune (both old, does a newer one exist) and one says to change the PE Enable RPM to a value greater than rev limiter effectively disabling power enrichment. This one really through me for a loop because when i checked this value in the tunes that fuel moto supplied it was set to 5000 rpm, is this only used above 5000 rpm?
Louis

2012 FLHTK
SE COLD AIR INTAKE
JACKPOT HEADER
RINEHART 4 inch slip-ons
319245 doesn't do anything now. It just shortcuts to the At screen. I wish it still worked though so the screen could be used when datlogging tune runs and using LogTuner.

The default at 5 is fine. You will get alot more than 5 in the easy to hit areas anyway so it doesn't matter. Just sit at idle and watch how fast that cell gets to 99. Where it helps being at 5 is the hard to hit areas. The more hits the more accurate the correction will be but I'd rather have a little correction in the hard to hit areas than none at all. It just means you'll have to get the hard to hit areas maybe a couple more tune runs to bring them in line.

Different cals and bikes will have PE set up different. If FM set it up at 5k just leave it. And yes, PE is active at high throttle and RPM's.

One more thing. If you are doing datalog runs try to only log the areas specific to what you're looking for. Supposedly the less data you log the more accurate the information is.

Last edited by stailjim61; 04-20-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Raccerx67
Cruiser

Jim I will try to give a more detailed approach to my madness on tuning with the PV LOL!

Start with a close base map if possible. Helps cut down on some time involved.

Initial autotuning:
First I ride my neighbor hood or around town and limit the runs to 15 minutes to get the in town cruising area on the VE tables to less than 5% changes.
Second I expand to a little more aggressive rpm and decels and faster speeds on back roads just out of town to broaden the area already tuned in. I repeat the runs until all this section is also under 5% changes.
( I do this to give the maps a safe area to go back into after I start working the higher loads and higher rpm cells)
I then start doing much longer tuning runs and I work on the upper right 1/4 of the VE tables then lower left 1/4 then move on the the mid section expanding it to the lower right section of the VE table hitting every cell I possibly can using all different roads etc. This takes me several runs to accomplish and after working a few cells I go back to riding in the already completed cells to cool down
After each run I save the map then flash it for more autotuning.

I started with 113 displacement, when PV asked to cap or scale I capped then bumped displacement to 115. I then started the whole process over and repopulated all cells using the same process but it goes much faster at this point so don't stress it.That kept the few peak cells around 125 - 126 max.
At this point I look over the 3D graph of the VE tables and I was getting some 49 - 52 numbers in the 0 tps column that rose to mid 70's to mid 80's by the 5-7% tps columns. rpm range on this dip was 1000 to 2750 area on front cyl and slightly dif on rear cyl.

CDE/EGR: Very little info on using this tool out there on the net but using info from Jamie's posts on a dif forum and the developer of TTS posts on the same other forum I got this to go from...
the CDE/EGR adjustments affect the VE tables belowe 60kpa map readings and the lower the KPA the greater the affect. It will have small affects above the 60 reading but minimal. I have a TP/RPM based VE table so I can not directly relate changes to the VE tables so here was my method...
Looking at the VE table #D graph I note the dip/blue area in the 0% TP range and I increase the CDE table numbers in that RPM range for both front and rear. I started with increasing those numbers by 40% and then smoothing the numbers to make the CDE graph look "smooth/gradual".
Now back to my autotuning runs until all cells have been repopulated and less than 5% change. I actually went till everything was under 2% change.
At this point its back to the VE 3D graph and I saw good improvement in dip in the 0-2% tps columns!!! YAY!!! I had to increase the CDE by 60% in a few spots and more autotuning to get the 3D graph to smooth out the way I wanted it.
At this point the CDE changes had increased my VE peaks to the point I had to cap them again so I raised displacement to 117" and another autotuning session. This really gave me a nice set of VE tables that don't have DRASTIC peaks or dips. I still have peaks and low areas but they blend very nicely so the slopes are not steep.

I now Make a new map copy/paste the VE CDE spark etc into and I disable PE and a few other things as described in justdennis tuning guide I pasted a link to on page 385.
Now I start working spark advance using datalogs NOT auto tune! Auto tune will fool ya cause it takes out 4 degrees advance when it loads a map. After I have timing all done I do another autotunning session and make sure everything is well under 5% changes.

After that I work on IAC count table and tune out any decel pops, etc.
I then take this map and save it and apply my preferred closed loop bias tables and stoich tables and turn back on all the PE type stuff I disabled.
Test ride and enjoy a very smooth running on or off throttle bike with no surging, smooth transitions of throttle position and great fuel milage as a bonus.
Disclaimer: LOL I am not saying this is the best way or the only way to get this done, just this is what after much trial and error and tons of reading came up with and it worked really really good for my build.
Yes it does take several autotunes this way but this all doesn't have to be done overnight or before you go for that long awaited day ride. But if you follow this or a similar plan and take a few weeks to get through it all your bike will run amazing and you did it yourself!!!!!!

Key to CDE/EGR on the tps maps is trial and error. There is no way to specifically match to the 60kpa and under... Just match the rpm range and the 3D graph in the VE tables in the 0-2 % tps range. My increasing the numbers in the cells of the CDE table by 40-60% in the needed rpm range brought the VE numbers up from 49 ish to 59ish in the 0 tps and it tapered off going up the tps percentage.

Hope this can help someone
Doug

Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I liked the 319245 to wish it was in this firmware version I used it wwith log tuner and prefered it. However I did save the firmware version with the 319245.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:27 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Not understanding Power Vision autotune basic.

OK heres the dish:

2012 Dyna Fatbob 103ci
Vance and Hines vo2 intake
Vance and Hines big shots running none insulated quiet baffles
all else stock

Ive had a copy of tune number 12D103002408 recommended to me by Dynojet as a base tune to work with auto tune. Its officially listed as a tune for dyna switchback with big radius exhaust.

Problem: Initial load of 12D103002408 showed that the tune was RICH. REALLY RICH. Open loop ridability sucked, would honestly run so rich that the bike would almost die and run like poo because of soooo much fuel until bike warmed up. Exhaust smelled like fuel as well. Autotune basic doesnt seem to do much at all.

ALSO: tune is on session 15 with autotune basic.

I got the PV because i knew there was a smidge more power waiting to be unlocked by being able to control spark, something my fuelpak didnt do. What fuel pak did was make the ease of riding my bike easy! Ive edited AFR tables trying to get it from being sooo rich, but never did anything that I noticed.

Is there a way to edit open loop tables? How many auto tune sessions does it take to get close to being dialed in? SHould I ditch the precanned map and start auto tune with stock map?

Should i remove my q baffles and go back to stock baffles with a complete tuner like the PV controlling everything? I lost torque with the open baffles and fuel pak. qbaffles installed got back some torque... dont know if the q baffles and pv tune are gelling well at all.

Lots of questions and I know autotune basic isnt supposed to be his challenging.. but my bike hasnt seemed "right" since I installed the tuner.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,040 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Moved above question to this thread.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Double check o2 sensors are in the right order plugged in and working. I had trouble with V&H big shot duals on my street glide. Sensor readings off those pipes was not good I had to manualy tweek areas of the VEs. I soon after ditched the pipes.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 150 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Brainiacs

Does anyone know how to program autotune pro to set a different afr ratio other 13.0 ?
Lets say 14.0

Thanks,

Gozzie

Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Raccerx67
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gozzie
Does anyone know how to program autotune pro to set a different afr ratio other 13.0 ?
Lets say 14.0

Thanks,

Gozzie
Log Tuner Pro using DynoJet’s Autotune module requires you to take the AFR table out of closed loop. You should change the AFR table to some value other than 14.6 (Lambda 1). You can set it to something like 13.0 (.886) or 13.8 (.940). Also set Adaptive control to 0 to turn it off. After tuning with the Wideband sensors and setting the VEs, you can go back to running in closed loop. It is generally recommended to develop your tune with the AT module and WB sensors, and when you have it within a couple % you can reinstall your factory sensors and configure closed loop. It is also acceptable to setup a good open loop map and run that with adaptive control remaining disabled.

You do this change in the air-fuel-ratio (stoich) table in the winpv software.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I did some autotuning this evening and I stand by my original assessment that the PV AT does not tune cells in the upper left corner of the VE tables. Essentially from 35KPa diagonally across to about 2500 rpm. If you have your PV attached to your handlebar (as I do), you'll see that when you are datalogging with the autotuner running, there will never be any data entered in the first column (10KPa) or the first row (750rpms) or in the upper left corner between 35KPa and 2500rpms.

I changed the AT Settings to lower the minimum rpms from 900 to 750. Lowered the minimum KPa to 10. Raised the max rpm to 6250.

These setting changes had no impact on the upper left corner of the VE tables which remained unchanged when autotuning.
Not sure this has been addressed, but it is also very possible the placement and/or depth of your O2 sensors is not allowing you to get an accurate sample at low MAP/RPM. This is a known issue on many pipes.

Some guys (myself included) have either ground down the sensor bungs to get more depth of the sensor, or have even relocated the sensor by welding.

Not sure if PV allows you to monitor O2 sensors, but monitoring them with a data logger will show if they are switching in those areas. I know this can be done with TTS Datamaster; I assume PV allows access to that data.

O2 sampling is possible at 20 KPA down to 750 RPM. Seen it many times. But if you do a data log on O2 sensor voltage, you find some interesting things:

Non-heated narrow bands take a significant amount of time to come "online". This is because it takes exhaust heat to get them warmed up. You can forget about the first 60 seconds after startup. You can watch the sensor voltage start high and come down over time, and only then it starts to "switch" to provide the ECM with something it can use.

Sometimes looking at the data, one sensor may come online before the other. One may be "lazier" than the other. If you hold the throttle open after engine is warm, the both switch very well. Often times when idle, one may be a little unresponsive, due to low exhaust pressure and combine with poor placement or shallow depth, may not pickup as well as with more pressure.

If the O2 bungs have not been looked at, I suspect a lot of tunes are not as smooth as they could be, especially low MAP...

Also keep in mind 20KPA for most people is a decel column.

Last edited by VDeuce; 04-21-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Question I just did first auto tune run got 6 percent ve if I was to do another auto tune run
I use this current 6 percent ve tune again to auto tune correct?

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread