Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:38 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nhrider1
I'm guessing, but HD knock detection relies on ion sensing via the spark plug. Old or non HD spark plugs could contribute to the lack of spark knock detection. Its the ECM that reads and retards spark based on spark knock detection...I believe the PV is only reading the info from the ECM.

I've never seen a satisfactory answer as to the suitability/function of non HD spark plugs in the ion sense system, although some claim to use other plugs with no problems...but I've gone back to using HD plugs in my late model HDs just because I know the system was designed to work with them.

I do know that both you and Chris started seeing knock events with new HD plugs that were previously undetectable.
Good point, makes sense.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fullautomike
That was my first thought. The pings started right after I filled up with 93 octane Mobil, from a very high volume station. My next fill up was Shell 93 octane from a station I've used many times. The pinging continued.
Could I have gotten two bad tanks? Is there a lasting effect from one bad tank of gas? Also FYI all gas in CT is 10% ethanol
Thanks
I wonder if you reflashed your tune if the ping would go away. If it does then maybe your AFF have changed the VEs enough to cause it.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 PM
fullautomike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Heatwave
There are 4 "grades" of gas that are blended during the course of the year to accommodate different ambient temps (in the 4 season regions of the country). Summer time has less butane in the blend (avoid evaporation issues). Winter has more butane in the blend (evaporation not as big a concern in cold temps). Spring and Fall are halfway blends. The winter blend has less btu's per lb than the Summer blend due to the % of butane in the blend. The octane remains the same but the power and fuel economy varies from better in the summer to worse in the winter with Spring and Fall blends in-between.

I wonder if what you are experiencing is a summer tuned map that was close to the edge in terms of "knock" that is now displaying knock with the "Fall blend" of gas???
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Guys, there is a small issue with one of the servers for the update client, it should be fixed today yet or no later than tomorrow morning. This has absolutely nothing to do with the 2014 stuff, any info stating otherwise is simply incorrect, the messages & emails we have received over the weekend point straight to a competitor taking the low road, so simply consider the source. If for some reason you are not able to access the updates they can be emailed upon request. If anyone needs assistance they can contact Fuel Moto or Dynojet and we are happy to help

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 PM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Can i please have the update emailed to me?

Old 10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
fullautomike
Road Master

Originally Posted by Delta
I wonder if you reflashed your tune if the ping would go away. If it does then maybe your AFF have changed the VEs enough to cause it.
I don't think so, I also tried an old tune with a different ARF map that had zero spark knock/pings that now has pings and spark knock.
I'm thinking Heatwave got it right that maybe the winter blend gas is now out. Maybe like he said my tune was on the edge.
I'm working on a new tune and I think I'm making progress, I should know soon.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
Guys, there is a small issue with one of the servers for the update client, it should be fixed today yet or no later than tomorrow morning. This has absolutely nothing to do with the 2014 stuff, any info stating otherwise is simply incorrect, the messages & emails we have received over the weekend point straight to a competitor taking the low road, so simply consider the source. If for some reason you are not able to access the updates they can be emailed upon request. If anyone needs assistance they can contact Fuel Moto or Dynojet and we are happy to help

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder who the competitor might be?????

Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marknett
Got A map?

I have a 2012 dyna switchback 103 with power vision tuner . I have a Stage one air filter (K&N HD-0808 High Performance Replacement Air Filter) . I am running a D&D fat cat 2 into 1 with louvered baffle . Fuel moto gave me a great tune to start with and after several autotunes and different map configurations , I still like theirs the best . Anyone have a finished map close to this setup, I would like to give it a try in my bike .. Thanks , mark
The map you got from Fuel Moto was created by them doing Dyno runs on bikes like yours. It is a "finished" map. If you use that map and run autotune with it, you are tweaking it to make it match the characteristics of your bike. That "finishes" the map and makes it work best on your individual bike. You really have nothing to gain by getting a map from someone else unless there is some other strategy or particular changes you want to try.

Is there something you don't like about the FM map?

Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JetD
46u: I've been using both for over a year. The visor only works in certain sunlight angles; it does tend to move at high speeds (dependent on fairing, unit placing, etc.). I've lost the holding bolt/nut and had to replace with a suitable substitute from the local hardware; now secured with Loctite and nylon locking nut... no more issues with that.

The quick release works great. I've removed it daily, sometimes frequently when tuning, and on some trips not for days. The lower raised point that fits into the lower PV unit slot for holding it is beginning to show some signs of wear and I'm planning to order another one this week just to have on hand when if finally fails to hold securely.

That's my experience.... good luck.
Same here. I have been using the clip and visor for almost 2 years. Works well. It holds the PV very securely and I take the PV on and off the bike frequently

Old 10-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Boston Chris
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fullautomike
I don't think so, I also tried an old tune with a different ARF map that had zero spark knock/pings that now has pings and spark knock.
I'm thinking Heatwave got it right that maybe the winter blend gas is now out. Maybe like he said my tune was on the edge.
I'm working on a new tune and I think I'm making progress, I should know soon.
Mike....now i think your over thinking this...here why i say this...if i understand correctly....your tune was fine. Then you started hearing ping. your logs showed nothing. You put a new set of plugs in and now you see knock events. i would say you always realy had thoes events. You spark system was obviously not up to snuff for one reason or another. Same thing i had. As soon as i put new plugs in the knock went away. i have not run another log to check if retard events are still happening but the knocking i could hear went away. If it were me i would tune the spark to how you want it. Continue on that way. The spark problems we had are not going to tune correctly. so we are kind of back to the drawing board.

Im in mass. i am pretty sure we have the same gas you have in CT. I dont think its the gas.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread