Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:46 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

New VE is a a representation of VE correction thru both short term (CLI) and long term (AFF) multipliers. VE X CLI X AFF = New VE

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-24-2015, 10:01 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

LA Dog,

I am looking to buy one of those, just not sure if I am gonna keep the 48 or not. Big part of it for me is looks, BO looks great to my eyes, I am not much into twisties and long trips. Backroads or CA coastline on the weekends only.

I am glad I asked you the question, those are type of issues that many owners may not know how to deal with. I was reading the pros and cons thread about BO and dont remember tire and fork issues mentioned.

I am surprised by the HP on that bike tho, it's very close to my sporty.

What are you expecting to get from a cam upgrade and how difficult do you rate the swap to be?

Hey that bikes looks great!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
LOL!! yeh she'd have my *** if I was postin' pics of her on forums. ;p
I'm guess she is even prettier than the bike.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
New VE is a a representation of VE correction thru both short term (CLI) and long term (AFF) multipliers. VE X CLI X AFF = New VE

Great info!

RE: New Website.

Wow! A whole new look!! I like it!

Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
I'm guess she is even prettier than the bike.
Let's just say she's my 'asian bond girl' and I sure as **** am one lucky SOB. Going on 16yrs now.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

roger that- and again for clarity, changes recorded to New VE only apply to VE referencing CL AFR values VE's referencing OL AFR values are left unchanged, since the NB o2 can't really report anything outside CL range other than 'rich' or 'lean'.

Correct or no?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OddJack
LA Dog,

I am looking to buy one of those, just not sure if I am gonna keep the 48 or not. Big part of it for me is looks, BO looks great to my eyes, I am not much into twisties and long trips. Backroads or CA coastline on the weekends only.

I am glad I asked you the question, those are type of issues that many owners may not know how to deal with. I was reading the pros and cons thread about BO and dont remember tire and fork issues mentioned.

I am surprised by the HP on that bike tho, it's very close to my sporty.

What are you expecting to get from a cam upgrade and how difficult do you rate the swap to be?

Hey that bikes looks great!
Thanks brother, looks of the bike are gettin' there. I really like the overall lines of it. I'm still not sure about the fork boot rubber thingy's I put on but they look kinda retro.

I ride this bike exactly like you intend. coastline PCH, town runs, weekend fun with the missus, etc. I have a freakish bastard of a Big Dog FXR-style bike for the twisties, it does as good as you could hope to expect from a 600-lb Evo FXR style of bike. lots of fun. Breakout was bought more for regular riding, less hassle with upkeep, and taking the missus out on weekends. (I was always tuning the Big Dog, she's running at the ragged edge of CCP for pump gas, ol lady got tired of me fussing with it on rides all the time).

The Breakout upgrades i mentioned will benefit every aspect of daily riding and personally I'm more about the safety factor of it with these shitty cage drivers here in socal. With the stock tires and under-damped, weak stock fork springs, you'll know exactly what I mean the first time you have to jam brakes on, or hit some uneven bumpy pavement in a turn going 50. My Breakout is non-ABS, which I prefer. The ABS bikes do a bit better with regards to avoiding rear wheel lock up - that wide, flat factory dunlop 240 tire just loves to ice skate. but the abs will just be kicking on that much sooner with the OE dunlops vs the sticker and less flat-faced Pirelli's. The pirelli's also turn in much easier with less effort. no more flop. The front dunlop 130/60 had to go, it is too wide and short profile for the factory 21x3.5" rim. The pirelli 120/70 works way better and that's what I always run on that size rim.

Cam change and stuff- I don't know yet. I'd like to be somewhere in the 110tq range where TQ comes on hard from 2k rpm up, rolls off toward upper rpms, and at 100hp which mainly peaks in the upper rpm range. Having the TQ come on hard at low rpm's makes for a fun town bike. The B motor will always be a bit pokey due to the counter balancer, but still has plenty of potential for enough grunt to keep you smiling. A cam like the Andrews57h would be on my list of considerations given it's profile, along with bumping static comp to about 10.6:1 and a .030 final quench, and dynamic comp around 9.4. this is just off top of my head though.

I don't see upgrading cams / heads in a TC being any more difficult than an Evo. just different parts, two cams vs one, but same stuff in regards to reading the service manual, understanding install / removal sequences, cam endplay and runout values, tq values, etc.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 04-24-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Jamie - Congrats on the new site looks great- I'm sure that was no easy task. BTW, what software version are you using in your provided PV tune files for softail/dyna- 357 or 358? For CVO and Touring, 617 or 614?

Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

roger that- and again for clarity, changes recorded to New VE only apply to VE referencing CL AFR values VE's referencing OL AFR values are left unchanged, since the NB o2 can't really report anything outside CL range other than 'rich' or 'lean'.

Correct or no?
Long term (AFF) is block learn which builds a correction for a specific region so it affects an entire cluster of VE cells. Anything that is learned in closed loop is applied to open loop, in some/many cases AFF applies to open loop areas of the tune as well. A good example would be a calibration that is closed loop out to 85 Kpa, this would apply block learn to the 90/95 or even 100Kpa open loop areas. You can validate this by viewing AFF in your datalogs, you can note this multiplier is active outside of closed loop.

Jamie - Congrats on the new site looks great- I'm sure that was no easy task. BTW, what software version are you using in your provided PV tune files for softail/dyna- 357 or 358? For CVO and Touring, 617 or 614?
The calibration build level of our tunes varies as the strategies change. For example some of our 14 FLH cals are 614, some of them are 617, however all of our 2015 FLH cals are 617.

Thank you for the feedback on our new website

Old 04-24-2015, 01:32 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Long term (AFF) is block learn which builds a correction for a specific region so it affects an entire cluster of VE cells. Anything that is learned in closed loop is applied to open loop, in some/many cases AFF applies to open loop areas of the tune as well. A good example would be a calibration that is closed loop out to 85 Kpa, this would apply block learn to the 90/95 or even 100Kpa open loop areas. You can validate this by viewing AFF in your datalogs, you can note this multiplier is active outside of closed loop.

-----------------------------

The calibration build level of our tunes varies as the strategies change. For example some of our 14 FLH cals are 614, some of them are 617, however all of our 2015 FLH cals are 617.

Thank you for the feedback on our new website
Thank you Jamie- info filed in my knowledge bank.

I ran into some weirdness in my tune files as I could not seem to get closed throttle spark to work. I eventually discovered that the 357 tune files are missing a whole boatload of settings. the ECM had been running with last known settings contained in it's previous 358-based tune put on by dealer. flashing subsequent 357 tunes would not change anything in areas I needed changed (such as the TP position enable value for closed throttle spark), because the settings were just plain not there in the older version files.

One of our kind and knowledgeable members here got this straightened out for me and informed me of the software version differences. migrated my tunes to a 358-based file, enabled settings needed that were now present, all good.

From looking in the current DJ PV tune database, every available tune file is an outdated version (e.g. pre-2012 bikes). I asked DJ tech support about this and they said it does not matter, no need to use the newer version files regardless of year of bike. I'd have to strongly disagree without sound logic behind it.

This may be important to know for anyone else with a newer HD that pulls a DJ tune file from the PV DB and goes forward with tuning it. There will be a lot of missing settings versus what's in the HD ECM.

That said, I don't know if there is much diff in the CVO or Touring versions, but there is definitely a lot of difference in the softail/dyna revisions.

As a side note, if you have a 357 tune file and use WinPV to do an "update tune from PV", it will insert all of the new missing settings from the ECM to your tune file- However, it will not correctly update the tune file software version ID and will be left as a 357 file.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 04-24-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread