Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 11:05 AM
Knut976
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nhrider1 - thanks for the info. I suspect you're right in suspecting the fans as the source of the RFI. I could probably just turn them off when I want to try autotune, but that doesn't solve the problem. Someone here mentioned a new shielded cable from DynoJet. Maybe I can trade them the extra standard cable I bought for this new one. You also mentioned cable "chokes". Are these the same as the "ferrites" mentioned by GMRO? If thery're not to expensive I'd try them. Where do I get these things, and what specifically do I look for? Thanks again.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:04 AM
Ultra 2008
Intermediate

nhrider1 - thanks for the info. I suspect you're right in suspecting the fans as the source of the RFI. I could probably just turn them off when I want to try autotune, but that doesn't solve the problem. Someone here mentioned a new shielded cable from DynoJet. Maybe I can trade them the extra standard cable I bought for this new one. You also mentioned cable "chokes". Are these the same as the "ferrites" mentioned by GMRO? If thery're not to expensive I'd try them. Where do I get these things, and what specifically do I look for? Thanks again.

nhrider1, you are beating your head against the wall, just cut the plug/play plug off and wire the fans directly to the battery and your problem is solved!! I spent 3 days trying to solve this issue, and purchased a new cable from Power Vision and it did not work!! Trust me, anywhere you place the unit/cable/etc., if you plug into the accessories plug you will experience the same results.

Roger

Old 11-25-2017, 07:15 AM
Knut976
Stage IV

GMRO - I've been experiencing the same issue with the gauge display values blanking out randomly. Mine is easy to restore by touching "exit" and re-selecting gauges, but its still annoying and disruptive to autotune. I've rerouted the data cable 3 times, changed out the spark plug wires, and bought a new cable all with no luck. Then I discovered thru this forum that my Love Jugs Mighty Mite fans might be the culprit. Is seems that now I can avoid the problem by simply turning off the fans. I need to do more riding to be sure, but its the most progress I've made so far. I would like to try your idea with the "ferrites". What exactly are they and where did you get them? Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
DizzyDen (07-13-2021)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:12 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Knut976
GMRO - I've been experiencing the same issue with the gauge display values blanking out randomly. Mine is easy to restore by touching "exit" and re-selecting gauges, but its still annoying and disruptive to autotune. I've rerouted the data cable 3 times, changed out the spark plug wires, and bought a new cable all with no luck. Then I discovered thru this forum that my Love Jugs Mighty Mite fans might be the culprit. Is seems that now I can avoid the problem by simply turning off the fans. I need to do more riding to be sure, but its the most progress I've made so far. I would like to try your idea with the "ferrites". What exactly are they and where did you get them? Thanks.
I installed one at each end of the PV cable about 4" from where they plug into the PV and the data port on the bike. It worked for me. I do run the cord out the battery cover, then between the seat and tank, then taped onto the top of the fuel tank. I use electrical black tape as it holds well and don't leave any residue on the tank when you remove the tape. My PV sits on the left side of my bars in a grip-tec mount.

Some have reported that it works...some have reported that they still have the issues. I don't leave my PV installed all the time - only used when autotuning and flashing maps to play around. I've run the gauges as well and before I added these chokes I had issues as most report with freezing and gauge loss of data. I also have the stock OEM non shielded cable on my PV.

Good Luck!

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...nap-choke-core - is the link.

Catalog #: 2730067 - is the P/N I had found in stock at my local RS.

Last edited by GMRO; 11-28-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:47 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

I just purchased some Ferrite Core Cord Ring RFI EMI Noise Filters from Amazon.
5mm 10 for $7.99.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some days I have no problems logging data for 2 hours or more.
Other days it stops several times an hour.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:27 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Knut976
Those chokes should help (looks like they are designed to knock down EFI/RFI).

Try turning the fans off to verify they are actually the source of the noise.

Another major source of interference is the spark plugs. You have to make sure you route the PV cable away from the spark plugs, plug wires and coil. On my bikes I run the PV cable over the tank (and under the dash). This effectively shields them from the spark pulses. Those pulses are substantial (kilovolt range) and many have had issues with PV cables routed nearby.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

My PV is still off the bike due to gauges blanking out. Dynojet denies there is a problem and blames it on RF. I have 2 other friends on 2013 Ultra Limiteds having the same issue. We think it is a firmware issue but Dynojet says no then tells us the gauge function was something added on the design of the tuner and it's not something they are concerned about.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:07 AM
GMRO
Road Captain

Originally Posted by prostar
My PV is still off the bike due to gauges blanking out. Dynojet denies there is a problem and blames it on RF. I have 2 other friends on 2013 Ultra Limiteds having the same issue. We think it is a firmware issue but Dynojet says no then tells us the gauge function was something added on the design of the tuner and it's not something they are concerned about.
In my experience it's not firmware related. In the past when I've had issues before installing the ferrite chokes on the cord I would put the PV in my left rear saddle bag wrapped in a towel. So the cord is mostly in the bag left laying and totally away from the RF from spark plugs or coil or else. My PV never glitched when placed in the saddle bag when I ran either gauges or autotunes. If I didn't put it there during an autotune my PV would freeze up and stop registering hits on the green screen chart. The saddle bag placement was my work around. Each time I would pull over and check the PV all was still working. This was thru at least the last 2 firmware updates. I then installed the chokes and and then positioned the cord above the tank and all seemed fine. Before the chokes on the cord the I still ran it over the tank and at different times it would still lock up to where I had to reboot it. Not as much but still did it. After the chokes were put on the cord I get very reliable use with no lock ups on gauges or during autotuning.

I have updated to the most recent FW a month ago but have not had a chance to try it since our riding season is pretty much over in PA. AND the fact that my bikes are running pretty darn good and I don't have a need use the PV.

Again some have reported they still have issues with the chokes on the cord and some like me say it fixed it.

Just my input...

Good Luck!

Last edited by GMRO; 11-30-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

I have seen references here to spark plugs having different resistance values when the HD spark knock was discussed.
I seem to recall NGK were lower resistance than the stock Harley plugs.

I wonder if spark plug brand plays a role in the interference?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:14 PM
GMRO
Road Captain

Originally Posted by shanneba
I have seen references here to spark plugs having different resistance values when the HD spark knock was discussed.
I seem to recall NGK were lower resistance than the stock Harley plugs.

I wonder if spark plug brand plays a role in the interference?
My 2013' 1200C, which I have most of my PV experience with, has stock plugs and coil and all OEM stuff.

My 2006' UC has Screaming Eagle plugs. I've run the gauges on the PV with this bike and not seen any lock ups. Though the bike can't run autotune since its not equipped with O2 sensors.

75% of my usage with the PV is on my Sportie. Yes I do have a custom MAP that FM/Jamie did for my 06' - and I'm very happy with it.

Good points about plugs contributing to some issues...

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread