Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Key Fob Security System - Problem Trend Watch

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
RickO
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aborigin2. No problem. We both call 'em the way we see them. I'll gladly sit down to test beer at any road house with you.

I've read your response twice and I'm going back a third time. Very well stated and lots to think about. I would agree that it is location specific but having failures in the middle of no where perplexes the entire thought process. (True, there's no way to know what RFI/EMI energy may be directed down and across your path - but jeepers, I was 15 miles outside of Speculator, NY. Even the birds are bored there.)

Again. The frequency of the failure on my particular ride is diminishing. This also has me scratching my head. Why fail then and not now? FCC, EMI/RFI and Linpack Benchmarking/Tuning are dark arts that are probably taught at Hogwarts School of Magic.

Hats off to those who do it. (Ab - in this case, you buy the first round.)

Cheers.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
RickO
Intermediate

Guitar. LMAO - Good one. I'll buy the first round.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickO
Guitar. LMAO - Good one. I'll buy the first round.
)

Oh, if it was just the guitar... I have the same problem with my cell phone- each time I try to text it always displays not the character I wanted but any of the neighboring character on the keypad! Trust me, the phone is defective, my finger is just perfect (many evil-knievel drivers in the neighborhood have seen it) ) I’m a firm believer that any man-made equipment has a mind of its own and is made for the sole purpose of aggravating me.
Once we had a possessed car – anytime my ex-wife was driving it it would accelerate on its own will and hit the car in front. Needless to mention this never happened with me in the car, the evil spirit was acting up when the only witness of all devilish stuff was my ex....

About your security – I’m really puzzled if you experience all kind of problems throughout a whole trip and then everything was OK?
What has changed? Did the position of the LF antenna changed? Did you change the seat of the scooter (some seats have metal pans)?
Did you change the place you hold your FOB in? Did you replace FOB batteries? Did you do some harness work (moving wires around)?
Did you have a CB radio operating during the trip?

Anyways, I don’t believe in miracles (unless it has been designated as such by “higher power” ), there got to be a logical explanation for such behavior of your system.
One of my fellow riders was in a habit of throwing his FOB in the tour pack while riding. Then he started getting intermittent failures, after several months of riding.
When I opened his FOB up the battery contacts showed signs of wear, there was a bit of dust inside the FOB. Turned out it was the vibration that caused the battery contacts to wear – the tour pack is a pretty good shaker, you know. So, a slight play in the FOB battery was enough in the course of time to wear of the contacts. Nothing dramatic – cleaned and preloaded the contacts, everything worked fine. Since then he is carrying the FOB in his jacket.

I’ll be glad to buy you beer anytime, Rick. May be we’ll meet next summer at some of the rallies?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this isnt a guitar

Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Had the same problem with my ride at a Shell Gas station in the Midway/Sports Arena area of San Diego, CA. Luckily I was able to use my PIN to get it started! After leaving the area I have had no problems since, even at the same gas station, which is where I usually buy my gas.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 AM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Typically, interference at gas pumps comes from the display boards on the pumps. They are dirty and generally unfiltered RF generators, from DC to daylight across the entire RF spectrum. The electronic door sensors that automatically open doors in Grocery and department stores and many of the newer " botique" H-D dealerships are also notorious RF trash generators.
The interfering signal swamps the front end (input) of your reciever on your bike and either mixes with your fob tx signal to generate strong harmonics on the wrong freq, or sometimes just overpowers the receivers selectivity entirely so that it cannot discriminate your low power fob tx freq from all the others.....
I'm just sayin....

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Motor City Street Glide
Cruiser

I have a 2012 street Glide with the Hd Alarm system.

Im my opinion the issue has nothing to do with RF interference, I have had my motorcycle fail to start a total of 3 times, In this my first month of ownership.

Each time motorcycle has been parked In a different location, I have the fob in my pocket.
No cell phone interference(cell in jacket chest pocket), 2 brand new Fobs, and I also carry spare batterys.

1st instance...
1 week old motorcycle every thing functioning perfectly(Fob in front pant pocket), I park on very slight incline in front of Verizon wireless store.

Get off motorcycle, alarm arms as usual.
come out of the store hop on motorcycle and stand it upright, flashers begin to strobe bike wont start.

AT this time since I didn't know/reset my pin im effectively stranded on a brand new $21,000 motorcycle.

I try moving the fob to every reasonable area on the motorcycle, hoping that the alarm system will since the transmitter.... 15 mins later still no dice.

SO I decided to walk the few blocks to Walgreens, and bought a new battery.

While I was walking back to my bike I removed the battery in the fob.
I did not replace it with a new battery, I simply removed it for a few moments, then re installed it.
When I got back to the bike, the system recognized the fob right away, and disarmed.

2nd occasion

Motorcycle parked in my driveway for a wash.

I rolled the bike out of the garage in neutral, without the fob on my person which of course triggered the alarm.

While washing the bike, the alarm continued its cycle of being triggered, then turning off.

When I went into the house and got my Fob (in pocket) the system would not disarm( no I still don't know my pin)

got pissed, went inside left bike for about 1/2 hour. When I came back outside Fob in pocket was sensed, and motorcycle started normally.

3rd and hopefully last time, that it happens to me.

Yesterday, I ride to friends house. I park the motorcycle on very slightly uneven pavement (jiffy stand on surface approx 1/4" lower than tarmac on road).

come out to the motorcycle with fob in front pant pocket, stand motorcycle upright to start it, and alarm triggers.
I was only able to clear the triggered alarm, by removing the battery from, and then re installing it into Fob.

I first took the time too come look on this forum for answers, and then Im going to use my service manual to figure out how to reset my pin, geez!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,204 Likes on 7,996 Posts

I installed a Security Smart Siren II yesterday on my 2010 Ultra. Everything worked perfect. I go outside today and get on the motorcycle with fob in front left pocket and the alarm yelps one time (LOUD). I'm thinking thats not suppose to happen. I turn on the ignition and hit the starter and nothing happens. I turn the ignition off. I sit there for 5 seconds and turn on ignition hit the starter and it cranks up. I have had this motorcycle for 6 months AND THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!

So just wondering if the siren has anything to do with this problem? Could the signal from the siren intenna interfer with the signal from the security system to the FOB? By the way I haven't purchased the pager.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Ken G H-D Ultra Limited
1st Gear
Default Manufacturer of the battery makes a difference

I had my battery going low as it would set off the alarm with the fob in the tour-pak. I had been doing this for 2 years with no problems. Taking the fob out of the tour-pak and moving it closer to the seat it would work fine. I changed the fob battery (CR2032) with a new and good (3.11V) Newsun battery. The fob would not work. Thinking that the fob needed to be reprogrammed, I headed off to the stealership. Reprogramming the fob had no effect. The mechanic checked the voltage of the Newsun battery, it was good. For grins he put in a new and good (3.08V) Sony CR2032 and it worked. He put the Newsun battery in the other working fob and it did not work. That fob had a Panasonic CR2032. We were both amazed that the manufacturer of the battery would make such a difference. But it does. Go figure.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM
sval
6th Gear

I have an 07 street bob that does the same thing with the FOB. Sometimes it senses it right away. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, and sometimes it takes a few minutes.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Security System - Problem Trend Watch