Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

aftermarket front turn signals(3wire to 2wire)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM
ironmike666
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default aftermarket front turn signals(3wire to 2wire)

what is the extra wire for? And is this the reason my signals will blink normally for a few seconds then blink fast?

Help

and how do I fix this?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:40 PM
ironmike666
Cruiser

So this takes me to my next question about the rear signals and the 4 wires that are located on them. both sets of lights that the harley shop ordered for me are only 2 wire hmmmmmm????

Old 11-26-2011, 05:43 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

something makes no sense, front should match front and so on, some after market ones require a load stabilizer to work properly. think badlands makes them

Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM
ironmike666
Cruiser

i took my stock signals apart. when i hook the black and blue up to battery, the light is bright. when i hook up the purple and black or purple and blue...the light comes on but not as bright. does this make any sense??

Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3 wires are probably ground/running/turn.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ironmike666
what is the extra wire for? And is this the reason my signals will blink normally for a few seconds then blink fast?
Front turn signals have two functions.....running light and turn signal. To do this they have a dual filament bulb. So you have a blue wire running to the dim filament for the running light, a violet wire running to the bright filament for the turn signal and the 3rd wire is black which is ground.

Your lights are blinking fast because the turn signals you have on do not match the resistance (too low) and thus the amp draw from the turn signal module that your stock bike had. So it blinks fast which is an aid to tell the rider a bulb is burned out.

So this takes me to my next question about the rear signals and the 4 wires that are located on them. both sets of lights that the harley shop ordered for me are only 2 wire hmmmmmm????
Stock harley rear turn signals are turn signals only....so it is a single filament bulb and has two wires running to them, black for ground and probably violet again for the turn signals.

i took my stock signals apart. when i hook the black and blue up to battery, the light is bright. when i hook up the purple and black or purple and blue...the light comes on but not as bright. does this make any sense??
I suggest if you are going to be working on your bike to purchase the factory service manual. It will have the wiring schematics in it which will describe the following:

black = ground
blue = running light
violet = turn signal