Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electrical connections.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 AM
manuel_hero
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical connections.

Well took the bike out to Turkey, Texas this Sunday. After a two hour ride and a couple of stops to get there we stopped at the state park near Quitaque. Got off to ask for directions at the visitors center and got back to the bike, turned the key to on,lights came on like normal, hit the run button, still normal, then hit the start button and everything shut off. Maybe half a click and that's it, engine didn't turn and all electrical gone. Took cover off and was attempting to take out battery and electrical controls lit up again so I tried to start it again and on click and off again. Had a park ranger come jump start the bike with his truck and drove it into town 10 miles just fine. Parked at convenience store and left it on to reassess my situation. After a couple of minutes in idle it shut off and... it did the same as before. The electric, lights came on but once I hit the start everything died sand would not come on after that. So we waited a few hours till someone could come and trailer it home. Got to the shop and I was about to take battery out to go get a replacement but decided to try it again and it started up like nothing!!! WTF! I got so pissed I just left it alone and drank a beer. I haven't messed with it since then yet , only to go and see if it still starts. And 2 days later that SOB still fires up like it's got a new battery in it. And that battery is 5 years old! It is a 2007 Sportster. I can't t even look at her. ANY help would be appreciated as to what to check on it. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 AM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could have a short in your starter switch on the handle bar.
Take it apart and manually touch the wires together to see if the bike will start by just doing this. Does your bike have a neutral safety switch? If not, that wouldn't be something to check also. Getting back to the starter switch; if the bike starts with just wire to wire contact, you may need to replace the switch or in the process of taking the switch cover apart you may have discovered a bare wire.
Good luck with that.