Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ignition/starting ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:01 AM
brokenbarrel1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition/starting ?

I have a 1997 softail custom with acv carb. I was looking to upgrade my ingnition to a single fire ingnition.(crane hi 4) Ive been told this would help make starting easier but would not do much for overall performance.Also would a2.0 Kw. starter spin my motor fasterto help starting. IfIve been riding every day it will start easy the first time of the day, but if I park for an hour or two and go to start itwill usually start but if it doesnt it will take a coupleof attempts and usually fouls a plug. If I havent riden in a couple of weeks and its cold out (40 degrees) it will be hard to start even the first time of the day.I have a new battery in it andIdont give it any gas when starting. The bikehas a vacuum petcock, isthis necessary with the cv carb. This is my first harley and I love it to death. I know its a little older than most of the otherposts but its all I can afford for now.I would appreciate any advice.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:17 AM
dynodude
Intermediate
Default RE: ignition/starting ?

I would say you do have a problem, but before you go throwing ignitions and starters at it, which may or may not fix the problem, find yourself a solid, reputable tech and have this issue professionaly diagnosed. You will save yourself a lot of aggravation and disappointment in the long run. Throwing parts at a problem until you find the right one can get pretty expensive. to answer your questions, though:
1. Single-fire ignitions enhance the performance by giving you adjustability of your ignition advance curve, and by elimination of the "wasted spark" at the begining of the intake stroke. If you have other performance mods like a cam and carb it will benifit you. If your bike is mostly stock, not very much. Have your resistance checked at your coil, and also Kv voltage at the plug.
2. Unless you have a big bore and /or hi-comp pistons there is no benifit from a hi torque starter. Have a current draw test done on your bike.
3. Sounds like you have carb problem. Have slow jet and idle enrichment checked.
4. No, you do not have to use a vacum petcock with a cv carb. In fact, they are problematic and the only thing on your list I would recomend you do replace right away. A Pingle is not necessary, there are plenty of good, cheap ones that will work on your bike.
5. The best part you could by for your bike is a factory service manual.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:20 PM
brokenbarrel1
6th Gear
Default RE: ignition/starting ?

Thanks, I appreciate it.