Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help: Power Loss after Wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
jscochrum
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Power Loss after Wash

Hello All,

I recently bought a 2010 Wide Glide and it ran absolutely wonderfully. It came from the dealership pre-owned, with stage 1 screamin' eagle air cleaner (the cone that sticks out toward the front), V&H big shots exhaust, and a power commander 5. Needless to say, this thing had a ton of power and would accelerate without hesitation and throw me backward.

I washed the bike for the first time about a week ago. When I finished up, I took it for a ride. As soon as I tried to accelerate, the bike began to choke and sputter and eventually died every time.

I originally thought I may have gotten too much water in the air filter, so I took the air cleaner apart and dried it all out. The problem persisted.

After doing a bit of research, I found that the connector between the Power Commander and ECM tends to get water in it if not sealed properly. So I found the connector and, sure enough, it was full of water.

I dried the connector out and applied dielectric grease. Fortunately, the sputtering/choking/dying has stopped, and everything seemed to run fine until I took it for a ride. I noticed shortly after I got on the road that the bike would hesitate when accelerating, and when sitting still it would idle rough.

I am currently at a loss for ideas. Does anyone have any insight they can shed onto this issue? Thanks!

(on a side note, I did purchase the Extended Service Plan from HD when I bought the bike. Does anyone know if this sort of thing would be covered if I decided to take it back to the dealership and have them sort it out?)