Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Electrical shock from handlebar

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Darren 45
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical shock from handlebar

Hi, this one may sound crazy. My bike is a 2010 Softail Custom FXSTC. I have started getting static shocks from my left handlebar/clutch handle on a random basis. It doesn't happen until I have been riding for about 20 minutes, after that it is pretty frequent. It is not a really hard zap, just a medium static shock, but it sometimes makes me flinch when I am driving or causes me to loosen my grip.

I've been over the wiring a bit to look for a loose or broken connection but everything seems sound. The bike continues to run fine when this occurs, no misfiring, no loss of power, everything else seems fine.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what this could be ? Has anyone seen this fault before ? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

What sort of clutch cable are you running ?

Check to make sure the clutch cable has not rubbed through the wires coming from the primary to the regulator. It is all in the same area and would be the only thing I can think of that would give you a jump as it is 50vac in that area and after that it is 12 volt.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,416 Likes on 8,447 Posts

Maybe you had a buddy who rigged the primary of your coil with a hidden wire to your handlebars........

Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren 45
Hi, this one may sound crazy. My bike is a 2010 Softail Custom FXSTC. I have started getting static shocks from my left handlebar/clutch handle on a random basis. It doesn't happen until I have been riding for about 20 minutes, after that it is pretty frequent. It is not a really hard zap, just a medium static shock, but it sometimes makes me flinch when I am driving or causes me to loosen my grip.

I've been over the wiring a bit to look for a loose or broken connection but everything seems sound. The bike continues to run fine when this occurs, no misfiring, no loss of power, everything else seems fine.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on what this could be ? Has anyone seen this fault before ? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Make sure the handlebars are grounded. Check for continuity to ground with a DVM. Not sure about the newer bikes, but older bikes grounded the handlebars with a large lug and ground strap where they attach to the forks.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Darren 45
Stage IV

Thanks, I'll check it out. New clutch cable installed last summer, diamond braid. Maybe something went amiss then.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Darren 45
Stage IV

No luck, nothing evident there. Need a little more spring time to take it out and try it some more.