Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Breather Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Breather Tube?

I am still having some oil leakage that I cannot find that is getting on my rear tire. I am getting ready to replace the primary gasket as I know I'm losing some from there, but I don't think that is my main problem.

I keep thinking that I read somewhere on here about a breather tube somewhere near the starter that can blow oil. I'm not talking about the tube up front. When I put my battery back in I remember finding a clear tube about 1/8 to 3/16 that was not connected to anything and was about 10 inches long. I couldn't find anyplace to put it so I just set it aside. But come to think of it, that is about the time I started getting oil onto my rear tire. I don't know if I just can't see or what, but I cannot find where this is supposed to go. Any ideas? Any pictures?

Thanks,
Barry

Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 640 Likes on 228 Posts
Default RE: Breather Tube?

Could be the transmission vent tube. I don't know if your bike is the same, but mine's connected sort of behind the sprocket cover, under the starter. Sorry, no pics. Mine even blew trans fluid out of the hose until I routed it up higher under the seat area.

One other possibility - it wasn't just an old battery vent hose you discovered, was it?

Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM
bdavis
Road Master

One other possibility - it wasn't just an old battery vent hose you discovered, was it?
It's a possibility. I will have to take a look and see.

My bike is a 72 XLH.

Thanks,
Barry

Old 10-10-2007, 05:56 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am almost certain that the 1972 XL had no vent on the transmission. This came later around 1976-1977. Do you have a leak around the countershaft? Thats the main sprocket, righthand side. There is a seal behind the sprocket and that could be leaking. It would leave an oil trail though if it were leaking..........pg

Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM
bdavis
Road Master

I am almost certain that the 1972 XL had no vent on the transmission. This came later around 1976-1977. Do you have a leak around the countershaft? Thats the main sprocket, righthand side. There is a seal behind the sprocket and that could be leaking. It would leave an oil trail though if it were leaking..........pg
You're probably right. I cannot find anything and I think I've done a fairly thorough job of looking.. I will try to get a look at that seal tomorrow. The frustrating thing is that my rear tire keeps getting pretty soaked and I can't really ride it that way for any distance.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Is the oil on both sides of the tire, or only on one side? If one, which side. If the right, then I suspect the countershaft seal.
If the left,there is not a whole lot of places a leak can occur.
1) There is a seal around the kick start shaft (if you have k/s) where it enters the primary.
2) If you have an electric starter there is one gasket around the plunger.
I have posted a pic of that countershaft seal. You will need #5 and #6, the seal with housing and the gasket respectfully.
You may also want to pick up a washer for the countershaft nut to make sure you have an ear to bend over as a lock..........pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/E57B582F447240C7AC451A9E4E412D22.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM
bdavis
Road Master

It is on the right side. I have both electric and kickstart.

Barry

Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 PM
67xlch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did The 72 year model have a chain oiler that feeds from the oil tank?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Then check the shaft seal. Also, as 67XLCH mentioned, see if you have a chain oiler. This will sit atop the sprocket cover. There is a screw sticking out of the oiler body to regulate the drip of oil onto the chain. Simply screw this all the way in to shut off the flow.........pg

Old 10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
bdavis
Road Master

There is a screw sticking out of the oiler body to regulate the drip of oil onto the chain. Simply screw this all the way in to shut off the flow
I found a bolt sticking out withwhat looked like a rubber washer under it about an inch or so in from the sprocket cover. From my Clymer manual (I have a HD one, but can't find it at the moment) it looks like that is the oiler screw. I've tightened it all the way, but won't have a chance to check to see if that is the problem until tomorrow. I had to remove the exhaust pipe to get to it. Does that sound like what you are describing?

Quick Reply: Breather Tube?