Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Was it the Bell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Was it the Bell?

Bike is complete now (ceptain for front fender) and running **** (thank you Pinion for the breather advice). So I am out getting the breakin miles under it's belt. I was not going too far from home because I had the sucker completely apart and back together (never know what I forgot to tighten down). So I am stopped at a light and all of a sudden, nothing, no electrical. I have a 30a fuse running to the regulator so I check it. Yep, blowen fuse. I jiggle the fuse lead and decide it needs a little tightening. Put in a new fuse (only one I have in the tool bag) and turn on the key. FSSSSSSSSSS, blows that one. Okay, gots a short and it's 95 degrees out. I call the wifey to come pick my *** up in the truck (nice of her to come too). When I look down I notice fluid on my left boot??? There is a puddle under the front caliper. Reach up and squeeze the brake lever, nothing, out of fluid, no brake at all, nothing![:@]If the fuse had not blowen out I would have hit the brake and had nothing at about 50 (speed limit on that road). I can see sliding into an intersection with the rear wheel locked up. Was it the gremlin bell my wife gave methat saved my assor the fact I have had a relationship with this bike for 30 years? BTW the short was the aftermarket ignition switch grounding to the horn bracket (I found out what I forgot to tighten and it is longer than the stock switch) andI am trying to figure out the brake line problem. It was leaking out of the connection to the caliper. Not crossthreaded and tightened well. Hope this post was not too long for ya-all.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Was it the Bell?

Wow, I would bank on the 30 year relationship and buy some loto tickets. Glade it worked for ya.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Pilotguy1050
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was good karma (loyalty to the bike) *AND* the bell.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All things are going to work out a certain way. It sounds like you just had one of those times.

Situation seemed bad at first glance......later with some reflection, things seemed like it was not so bad afterall!

And oh yeah, glad you found the short and your wife was home when you called. That's how things work, and don't even try to figure out why...........pg

Old 04-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Racer_Rick
Cruiser

My wife & I feel everything happens for a reason. Seems to have been your day

Old 04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
daimmel
6th Gear

I have seen brake lines develop a small hair line crack to look at it ..it seems fine but sometimes when we tighten them up they will crack just enough to let is squirt....