Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

oil oil everywhere and not a drop to drink

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:36 PM
clever_21
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil oil everywhere and not a drop to drink

first off, I'm newish and sort of a bonehead when it comes to my newish bike.

I am getting tons of oil coming from the oil vent on the right upper side of my 76 XCLH. Its on the other side of the generator, and it has a hose running underneath the bike. This is the 1st time it has done this. Plus my bike will not start. I was kickin' and a kickin' but nothing happend. I kicked it again and I heard a "gurgle" sound. Thats when I saw the small puddle of oil coming from that hose. Thought maybe I put too much oil in it, but when I checked my oil it was a little low. What gives???

Old 07-08-2006, 06:54 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: oil oil everywhere and not a drop to drink

Don't know about the non-start with the info you've given, but the oil is draining from your oil tank past the check valve, and then into the crankcase, where it's being pushed out the vent when you crank it over. Fix the check valve and it'll probably quit wet-sumping.

No-start? Got power to coil? Got spark? Got points set and a good condenser? Timing good to go? Valves (pushrods) adjusted correctly? Got gas going into the engine? Details needed!

Old 07-14-2006, 08:24 PM
clever_21
Intermediate

check on checking on the check valve... CHECK! I assume that will be in my Haynes guide. Think the new start problem might be plugs, doesnt feel like I'm getting spark, there is no "kickback" when I am kicking it.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:47 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Like poco says...your check valve is leaking. On the front of the oil pump is the oil sender unit having the oil gage wire attached to it.
Remove the wire. (and sender unit if you desire)
Remove the oil pump nipple. This is the large nut item.
Behind this you will find the check valve spring and behind that is the ball.

Purchase a new ball if possible.
Clean the oil pump cavity that the ball came out of with a Q tip.
Insert the new ball and using a steel rod, insert the rod after the ball and tap the rod lightly one time with a small hammer. Again, LIGHTLY. What you are doing is seating the new ball into the cavity seat. Pull out the rod, insert the spring. nipple and sending unit if removed and reattach the wire.
You should be good to go. When a bike has not been run in a long time, oil can leak past this ball and fill the crankcase. To get the oil out of the crankcase, you will need to run the engine and let it puke out the breather tube.
Be sure to have enough oil inside the oil tank.

If you are still having starting problems, let's have a separate go at that problem after you get the check valve squared away, OK?

***Edit note*** I meant to tell you to replace the ball and the spring. So buy one of each and install.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:53 PM
clever_21
Intermediate

sorry it took so long to reply, moved back home where I have a shop and tools, should be able to knock this out. Got it running and started so thats over with. When it started some more oil spurted out then stopped. Didnt let it run for too long b/c fear of lack of oil. Checked oil, not full, but still some left.

was wondering if maybe b/c it sat a long time before this happen (2-3 months) I am just seeing oil that leaked past the ball and into the crankcase. I guess just put some oil in it, start it and see what happens. If it stops gurgling then the ball replacement can be put off or not be needed?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

clever.......That was your problem with the oil build up. After sitting so long without running the ball check simply leaked enough oil to come out the vent when you fired it up.
All you have to do is top off the oil tank to the correct level and run it once in awhile. Myself, I would not even worry about putting a new ball in the pump body. All you need to do is crank it ever so often.This is quite common when the engine has sat so long.
Thanks for checking back in with us to tell us the outcome.............pg

Old 08-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: clever_21

check on checking on the check valve... CHECK! I assume that will be in my Haynes guide. Think the new start problem might be plugs, doesnt feel like I'm getting spark, there is no "kickback" when I am kicking it.
Here's a bit of valuable advice.... use your Haynes manual to soak up the oil, then get yourself a REAL H-D factory service manual. The Haynes manuals are basically useless and full of missing and incorrect information. The proper manual only costs about 50 bucks.... and are the most important tool you can own. You can get it (and the parts catalog) at jpcycles.com.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 AM
clever_21
Intermediate

lol sorry floor-dry is cheaper

Old 09-22-2006, 03:55 AM
clever_21
Intermediate

By the way piniongear, i forgot to mention this earlier, I love the look of your bike!!

Old 09-22-2006, 06:26 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

72-76 models ( not sure for others) has drain plug in bottom of the crankcase, easy to drain oil out...
Be carefull those drain plug threats aren't meant for regular use... very easy to break them.