Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Kick start ratchet plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Iron Man73
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kick start ratchet plate

Looking for some advice please!

I have a clutch basket that I want to put on my ironhead(kick only) but it does not have the ratchet plate on the back of the clutch basket. Looking at another clutch basket I have I see the plate has been drilled with 12 holes and rivoted. Looks kinda straight forward....

My question: Is this something that will work or should I hold out and find a clutch basket with the ratchet plate on the back and use it instead of drilling a basket that does not have the plate on it? In looking at the old basket I have with the plate on it it appears that a new kicker gear does not mesh to it properly therefore in my view would be that the plate would have to replaced with a new one anyway to properly mesh with a new gear. I would like to use the newer basket and drill and rivot a new plate if this is something that can be done and works properly.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Iron Man73; 03-21-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 91 Posts

I have no experience with this myself. My understanding is that it is a precision operation. You should hear from someone with direct experience before attempting it. Someone should be along here soon.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't fully understand what you are trying to do. It sounds like you have a kicker that isn't working properly for you and you want to replace the entire clutch shell rather than fix the problem.

In my opinion it would be better to just fix yours (unless your shell is broken, warped, cracked or otherwise damaged).

To change baskets you will run into clearance issues with moving parts that will cause bigger headaches. Different years fit differently and require different set-ups.

To directly answer your question, yes it can be done and with relative ease. However, you have to make sure you get the plate centered. By this, I mean you need a tool/piece of equipt that can secure the plate exactly centered relative to the clutch bearings and shell while you drill the holes. I had a friend turn some steel rod on a lathe to fit the bearing, clutch shell, and plate. This rod had 3 steps to fit the 3 different parts to ensure proper fitting.

If you don't take care to ensure it is centered then your kicker will slip and you will get hurt.

a very useful link:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1172767

Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Iron Man73
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Scott! I really appreciate this information. It is just what I am looking for!

Randy