Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Looking at mine, the only way I can see to route a hose to to drill a hole in the backplate and use a rubber grommet that will fit tight around the hose so as not to allow unfiltered air in.

And i wouldny run the hose under the bike. You'll und up with oily residue all over the underside of your bike and possibly get it on the rear tire which would not be good.
I made an external breather on on my Road King, ran the hose under the bike and zip tied it to the frame rail. mostly what comes out of the hose is water [[condensation ], on a long haul 80+ loaded two up for 12hrs you could detect some oil residue on the frame, but not much at all. On occasion, That milky stuff would spew out but not very often. here is a pic of my setup with an S&S filter. I am not a fan of filters or cans that cause any sort of restriction.

I have no intention of running external breather on my M8, The only reason I did on my '14 was because the S&S design did a poor job of regurgitating and would drip once the filter was saturated. The Heavy Breather and design of the backing plate on my M8 should not be a dripper. If it becomes one then I will go external.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-20160521_134002.jpeg   Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?-20160522_112144.jpeg  

Last edited by sixguns; 01-04-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:57 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

It will drip.

Im just wondering if anyone has ever had an engine failure or other issues resulting from the breather puking oil into the intake???

Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,309 Likes on 3,660 Posts

I blew a base gasket caused the breather to spew oil (116ci).. Was routed out and down..

Old 01-04-2017, 08:11 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,613 Likes on 4,456 Posts

It will drip.

Im just wondering if anyone has ever had an engine failure or other issues resulting from the breather puking oil into the intake???
don't sweat it..they've been doing this a loooooonngg time..none of us like the idea, but if someone claims they had an engine failure because of it there's a million that didn't

Old 01-05-2017, 07:54 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
don't sweat it..they've been doing this a loooooonngg time..none of us like the idea, but if someone claims they had an engine failure because of it there's a million that didn't
I honestly don't mind the engine burning it as much as I do having to clean it up. That's just unacceptable to me.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Is there not a small weep hole in bottom of the OE plastic housing that surrounds the ac assy ? I just drilled mine out on the '16 and ran the vent tube down through it. I cannot imagine there not being one on the M8.

The following users liked this post:
sstan (01-12-2019)
Old 01-05-2017, 12:50 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I honestly don't mind the engine burning it as much as I do having to clean it up. That's just unacceptable to me.
agree, after my son outgrew diapers I thought I'd be done with doody duty, never figured I'd have to baby my Harleys

Old 01-05-2017, 02:09 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I don't run a breather but DK Customs (a sponsor here) has posted about them a bunch I'm pretty sure you could look up his threads on the subject. Here's a link to their FAQ web page on breathers. Even though it hasn't convinced me to go to a breather bypass yet, there's a LOT of good info here:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Over...DK-FAQ-EBS.htm

The following users liked this post:
binarym (05-23-2022)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjjj629
I don't run a breather but DK Customs (a sponsor here) has posted about them a bunch I'm pretty sure you could look up his threads on the subject. Here's a link to their FAQ web page on breathers. Even though it hasn't convinced me to go to a breather bypass yet, there's a LOT of good info here:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Over...DK-FAQ-EBS.htm
good stuff, but I'm not there yet either..never have done it and it's working as designed which isn't a fatal flaw, just open for improvement..this is the first Harley I've ever owned where I stuck with OEM air cleaner and it's not too bad..the SE stg 1's were always worse, especially when pushed hard in the Summer

Old 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Is there not a small weep hole in bottom of the OE plastic housing that surrounds the ac assy ? I just drilled mine out on the '16 and ran the vent tube down through it. I cannot imagine there not being one on the M8.
I have an upgraded AC. Solid backplate and a high flow filter. No place for a weep hole.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?