Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:10 PM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I have an upgraded AC. Solid backplate and a high flow filter. No place for a weep hole.
Drill One!!!

Actually working on a Breather System for the CVO Ventilator.
The '17 Ventilator is more restrictive than previous models so I am working on using the older filter element with the newer back plate and a custom cover.. I will post pic's when complete. Stay tuned!

Old 01-05-2017, 11:11 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm going to make my catch can out of this. It has a center divider in it that will have to be perforated, will make a good baffle. Fittings fitted to the caps, a bit of open cell foam stuffed in it. Will have to see how the S&S Naked works. I should be able to bring a line to say the right cap. Catch the snot in the can man and bring a line out of the left cap and let the light vapor vent back into the throttle bore.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,683 Likes on 4,486 Posts

Originally Posted by GlidingJoe
Drill One!!!

Actually working on a Breather System for the CVO Ventilator.
The '17 Ventilator is more restrictive than previous models
keep hearing this about the SE Ventilators and Heavy breathers, meanwhile starting with the Rushmores to now, the OEM intakes have improved..closed the gap on what a slightly modified engine needs anyway, and makes spending $400 less necessary than it used to..keeping the OEM has worked out for me anyway..got spare air filters and breather tubes, throw a fresh set on every oil change, clean the dirty ones, rinse and repeat next service

Last edited by mjwebb; 01-05-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I just pulled the SE air filter on my 2017 RGS with STAGE III kit,
can verify small pool of oil on throttle body opening, I need to look into installing an atmosphere ventilator, prefer not to have oil sucked into the combustion chamber.

FYI

Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
keep hearing this about the SE Ventilators and Heavy breathers, meanwhile starting with the Rushmores to now, the OEM intakes have improved..closed the gap on what a slightly modified engine needs anyway, and makes spending $400 less necessary than it used to..keeping the OEM has worked out for me anyway..got spare air filters and breather tubes, throw a fresh set on every oil change, clean the dirty ones, rinse and repeat next service
Do you think it's the increased flow from the K&N style filter that's causing the issue?

Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Do you think it's the increased flow from the K&N style filter that's causing the issue?
Jamie at FM stated earlier in this thread that the new shorter K&N HB also slides over the neck so far that it blocks airway passage and when he put on the larger element it provided the proper amount of airflow..either way, for mild builds like a stage 1 I believe the OEM intake is underrated and folks rush out immediately and spend hundreds of $ for little difference

Old 01-06-2017, 11:46 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

I can only speak of the SE Ventilator, but if you look at the surface area of the previous model years vs the one that it now on the M8, the New M8 Breather has drastically reduced the surface area. It has a lower profile than the older unit and is tapered in to the outer leading edge.

K&N is not, at this time, making M8 filter elements

Old 01-06-2017, 12:21 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I have faith in the engineers at HD. They put together the stage kits, no worries here.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:29 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I think I misunderstood, you meant about the goopy discharge..they all do that to some degree, working as designed..my experience is the hotter the ambient temps and the harder you get on it the worse it gets and I've had all the SE stage 1 air cleaner kits over the years with different covers, housings, you name it..even the OEM's puke

Old 01-06-2017, 06:36 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Its deferential air pressure in the engine caused by pumping loss. IE blow by. The air filter has nothing to do with it at all. It's the internals of the engine breathing. No matter how tight you build or as some builders say. How tight you put up the engine you will get blow by. One can build a engine so tight that blow by is limited. But the draw back is you end up with a semi sealed engine below your piston rings. Thus resulting in poor performance and damage to the engine.

You think it's bad in our Harleys? You should see how bad it is in my super charged Harley truck. All stock,,, a OEM OG. Ford screwed that up so bad the engineers should be killed. All the snot goes back into the super charger gets compressed and then gets blown into the liquid to air intercooler. Then it plugs up the drain hole for the turkey pan and builds up like tar. Have to remove the super charger and inercooler to clean it all up then pay way more for a catch can than there worth because there is not one on the market that does it's job right.

Last edited by psyshack; 01-06-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?