Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by psyshack
Its deferential air pressure in the engine caused by pumping loss. IE blow by. The air filter has nothing to do with it at all. It's the internals of the engine breathing. No matter how tight you build or as some builders say. How tight you put up the engine you will get blow by. One can build a engine so tight that blow by is limited. But the draw back is you end up with a semi sealed engine below your piston rings. Thus resulting in poor performance and damage to the engine.

You think it's bad in our Harleys? You should see how bad it is in my super charged Harley truck. All stock,,, a OEM OG. Ford screwed that up so bad the engineers should be killed. All the snot goes back into the super charger gets compressed and then gets blown into the liquid to air intercooler. Then it plugs up the drain hole for the turkey pan and builds up like tar. Have to remove the super charger and inercooler to clean it all up then pay way more for a catch can than there worth because there is not one on the market that does it's job right.
I had an 03 Lightning (same engine as the HD Ford) and I know exactly what you mean. But the Eaton supercharger is not a compressor, but more of an air mover. I was able to find a catch can that worked pretty well plumbed inline with the breather tube. And then eventually went to just putting breather filters on the cam covers. They get pretty nasty but putting a couple black wristbands on them helped and didn't look too bad either.

I later upgraded to a Kenne Bell twin screw supercharger (true compressor) and went further when Whipple released their 3.4L twin screw compressor. That was a big badass blower!

Old 01-06-2017, 09:52 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I had an 03 Lightning (same engine as the HD Ford) and I know exactly what you mean. But the Eaton supercharger is not a compressor, but more of an air mover. I was able to find a catch can that worked pretty well plumbed inline with the breather tube. And then eventually went to just putting breather filters on the cam covers. They get pretty nasty but putting a couple black wristbands on them helped and didn't look too bad either.

I later upgraded to a Kenne Bell twin screw supercharger (true compressor) and went further when Whipple released their 3.4L twin screw compressor. That was a big badass blower!
The stock block Eaton in Harley Trim is a compressor, 6psi, Stock SVT F-150 8 psi.. To bad they bolted it on a for **** 5.4L mill and did not use there ram head design to its full extent.. The 5.4L is junk. Talk about a bastard engine. lololololololol. A should of could of been mill.And to think idiots paid 36 to 38k for the truck I own and the last of the sale run went for under 30k or less.

I used the HD ford abortion as a example. You think you got a snot blowing HD motorcycle? And yes I think it needs to be addressed. But you have not seen anything until you have seen a truck like you know something about. :/ or a Hemi car. lmao

Mine is OEM with only 89k miles on it and needs a complete go thru and heavy setup. I hope Harley bulit my M8 just a tad better than Ford built my truck. :/

This is a OEM snot maker a biblical levels.

Last edited by psyshack; 01-06-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:32 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by psyshack
The stock block Eaton in Harley Trim is a compressor, 6psi, Stock SVT F-150 8 psi.. To bad they bolted it on a for **** 5.4L mill and did not use there ram head design to its full extent.. The 5.4L is junk. Talk about a bastard engine. lololololololol. A should of could of been mill.And to think idiots paid 36 to 38k for the truck I own and the last of the sale run went for under 30k or less.

I used the HD ford abortion as a example. You think you got a snot blowing HD motorcycle? And yes I think it needs to be addressed. But you have not seen anything until you have seen a truck like you know something about. :/ or a Hemi car. lmao

Mine is OEM with only 89k miles on it and needs a complete go thru and heavy setup. I hope Harley bulit my M8 just a tad better than Ford built my truck. :/

This is a OEM snot maker a biblical levels.

The stock 5.4L is dog **** but the overall blueprint of that engine isn't bad. My built 5.4L was putting out 800/1000 at the rear wheel and could run 9s in the 1/4. Very easy to work on too. 90% of the mods to that truck were done my me and I had very little mechanical experience before I bought it.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:56 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,748 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Big question is why. Oh some aftermarket said you need it I get it.
Don't over fill the oil you be just fine.

The following users liked this post:
rjjj629 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:15 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Mine dumps as much oil into the breather filter and inside the backing plate as any twin cam that I have had. I put 6,400 miles on it and it needs it's third cleaning.

I plan a bypass of my own design this winter that will run the blowby out the back side of the backing plate and into a breather of it's own. Except for the filter that I got from DK it uses the stock rubber tubes from the hollow bolt.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:08 AM
kllrvet
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I have heard that Harley is aware of the oil passing into the airbox, and that they have a fix. Can anyone confirm?

Old 01-09-2017, 08:13 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,758 Likes on 4,532 Posts

Originally Posted by kllrvet
I have heard that Harley is aware of the oil passing into the airbox, and that they have a fix. Can anyone confirm?
of course they are aware of it, they designed it to do that forever ago

Old 01-09-2017, 01:50 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by kllrvet
Theyre most definitely aware of it. Their engine have been doing it forever. But I haven't heard of any kind of HD fix.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,748 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Fix is simple don't over fill it.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,758 Likes on 4,532 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Fix is simple don't over fill it.
while that is true, and no advantage to keeping it Full Hot instead of midway..running hard in hot weather will still result in saturating the air cleaner..at least my experience on the many bikes and trying about every SE A/C kit

Quick Reply: Anyone doing the breather bypass on your M8?