Sponsored by:

"Whining" Noise on 2017 FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 12:12 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
It seems like the issues just keep coming out over this "Tested over a million miles" engine. smdh. Why is the MoCo letting this go instead of recalling these issues? I for one am started to believe this engine was a slap together and not in development for years as they claim. I also believe it will be a great engine but will probably take years just like every other HD engine has
I'm still not hearing many issues. One or two but nothing major. Not nearly as many as I thought I would and nowhere near recall status. It is winter though.

I literally still hear more of the same old issues with Twincams though and over half of those issues had to be fixed by the aftermarket. Lets hope HD has a better track record with the new platform. Does sound like they're stepping up whenever they see a problem.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:52 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Veteran
I bought a 2017 Street Glide in September. At about 300 miles I experience a high pitched whine that reminded me of a super charger. I called HD corporate and complained. I was instructed to take it to my dealer to inspect my cam. The dealer told me that the cam had to be removed and if it had a certain number that ended in 2 it needed to be replaced. It did have such a number. Since it was all apart I had the Screaminin Eagle cam, air box and mufflers installed and street tuner. All I had to do was pay for parts since all parts had to be removed to remove the cam. That was 1500 miles ago and no whining noise since. I asked about this noise since then and the dealer said they are aware of the problem, but unless the owner complains there is no recall and won't do anything about the problem. Not all 2017's have this problem, but it was obvious that corporate HD knew about because they gave the dealer explicit repair instruction.
Just for giggles I took a look at the stock cam out of my RGS that was built in Nov, The cam has three sets of numbers.
294A1
1628661132 01
It would be interesting to know what numbers were on your defective cam to see if the MoCo made a production change.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
How tight is your belt? Mine came from the factory over tightened. As to the counter balancer whining, it was a concern for me going in, but its hardly detectable.
Reminds me of the old panhead & slabside shovel cam case gear whine , I kinda like it myself.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:10 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Reminds me of the old panhead & slabside shovel cam case gear whine , I kinda like it myself.
I have a 69, the M8 is not quite there.

Have you picked up a back rest yet? I have two left overs off my Road King, one is adjustable and both are the standard height and both have no pads.
Ill pass one to you, Just cause I used to ride the Canyon and lived on Timponogas circle.

Last edited by sixguns; 01-01-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:11 AM
sprintrps
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 1K Service and switch to Synthetics, it seems to me that the "whine" is much less noticeable than the initial few hundred miles. Just IMHO.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 AM
marc gagnon
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprintrps
2017 FLHR...Took a test Ride...Traded my 2015 FLHR as this new one is a vast improvement in torque, suspension, etc. At approx 40 mph in 3rd or 4th gear there is a cyclical whining noise (seems to be from the rear) that I can't identify. Heading to Dealer for 1K service, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this odd sound.
was just wondering if you ever resolved the issue with whining in 3rd and 4th. Mine does the same thing but even worse in 5th. Thanks

Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 AM
marc gagnon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scarz
I am having the same issue. I'm subscribing to this thread so keep us informed of the dealers findings.
I'm having same issue, any answers yet on this? Thanks

Old 04-11-2017, 09:21 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree put this into the M8 Section! Also might be helpful you guys that have this whine, either when did you buy your bike or even better, when was it produced? Maybe there is a common theme here..........

Eagle Out

OH and the only Whine I have is me when I have to put my M8 away for the night.................

Old 04-11-2017, 12:52 PM
marc gagnon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scarz
I am having the same issue. I'm subscribing to this thread so keep us informed of the dealers findings.
was wondering if you had gained any info on the subject? See my posts...

Old 04-13-2017, 08:17 PM
marc gagnon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Veteran
I bought a 2017 Street Glide in September. At about 300 miles I experience a high pitched whine that reminded me of a super charger. I called HD corporate and complained. I was instructed to take it to my dealer to inspect my cam. The dealer told me that the cam had to be removed and if it had a certain number that ended in 2 it needed to be replaced. It did have such a number. Since it was all apart I had the Screaminin Eagle cam, air box and mufflers installed and street tuner. All I had to do was pay for parts since all parts had to be removed to remove the cam. That was 1500 miles ago and no whining noise since. I asked about this noise since then and the dealer said they are aware of the problem, but unless the owner complains there is no recall and won't do anything about the problem. Not all 2017's have this problem, but it was obvious that corporate HD knew about because they gave the dealer explicit repair instruction.
Hey Veteran was wondering how you made out with all the changes? I had the same problem right out of the gate. I rode it 100 mile and brought it in I was already full state one. They are going after the oil pump but I'm changing the cam while there in there. Like the changes? And did it solve your problem? Thanks

Quick Reply: "Whining" Noise on 2017 FLHR