Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brandon's 2017 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 10:31 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I need to figure out what’s next for my bike…

Exhaust? will probably just remove the cat from the stock header.

Cam? I’d have to do the oil pump and all that… not sure I’m going to get into it.

Lower speakers?

Not much else I can do.

Old 04-18-2024, 10:38 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Received 1,451 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith

Cam? I’d have to do the oil pump and all that… not sure I’m going to get into it.

Not much else I can do.
BS why do you have to do the oil pump to do cams? Do you not have the upgraded HD pump already in your cicle?

Old 04-18-2024, 03:32 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Cornpipe
BS why do you have to do the oil pump to do cams? Do you not have the upgraded HD pump already in your cicle?
No sir. Never had any sumping issues, so no current need to upgrade. 41k miles on the original circa 2016 oil pump. I have a 2017 built in 2016, so that's why I said circa 2016. The oil pump was first revised in 2019 and then again (and possibly again since then).

If I installed a new cam, I'd be obliged to install the latest model oil pump.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 04-18-2024 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mofo67 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 03:54 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Received 1,451 Likes on 846 Posts

No sir. Never had any sumping issues, so no current need to upgrade. 41k miles on the original circa 2016 oil pump. I have a 2017 built in 2016, so that's why I said circa 2016. The oil pump was first revised in 2019 and then again (and possibly again since then).

If I installed a new cam, I'd be obliged to install the latest model oil pump.
I gotcha and it makes sense to change it since you still have the 10 lobe pump. The revision to a 8 lobe pump was done mid year 2019 and is installed on my 20RKS. I kept it when I installed the SE torque cam and it's a great oil pump. I also kept the stock cam plate as it works fine. To my knowledge 2019 was the only revision to the pump that Harley did and they still run it today. Of course I'm not sure about the VVT CVO motors.

BrandonSmith (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 07:14 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,591 Likes on 4,448 Posts

I need to figure out what’s next for my bike…Not much else I can do.

BrandonSmith (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 07:17 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb;[url=tel:21651100
21651100[/url]]
I know… ride it!!

mjwebb (04-18-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 01:17 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

There were several revisions to the oil pumps, none of which solved the sumping issues until they went to the 8 lobe pump, but the oil pump was not the real cause, I've heard several explanations, most seem to think it was due to casting differences in the cases. If you haven't sumped before just adding a cam shouldn't change that, it's just extra security to spend a couple hundred bucks while you're in there to be sure. It's just like changing out the cam bearing is cheap insurance, since they changed from 3/4" to 1" cam bearings the failure rate is negligible, but the full complement bearing is better so why not do it.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:21 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

Lower speakers?

Not much else I can do.
You should probably make that last bit "Not much else I want to do". Seems there is always more that a guy can do.

I put a Fuel Moto Jackpot stainless 2-1-2 header on my 2019 EGS about 4 years ago. I put the stock header in the attic just in case I ever need it for some unforeseen reason. Those Jackpot stainless headers are only $500 which I don't think is bad at all and they are a nice piece. Run the stock heat shields. I have been running the stock mufflers and it has been a decent set up. 35K miles on it now. Not really much louder, but has a more pronounced deceleration rumble. It runs way cooler on the right leg.

I just bought a set of S&S 4” Grand National slip on mufflers on the for sale section here. I haven't put them on yet, but I expect they will sound good. It is going to Shamrock Cycles in Round Rock for a proper dyno tune after the mufflers are on.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:53 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
You should probably make that last bit "Not much else I want to do". Seems there is always more that a guy can do.

I put a Fuel Moto Jackpot stainless 2-1-2 header on my 2019 EGS about 4 years ago. I put the stock header in the attic just in case I ever need it for some unforeseen reason. Those Jackpot stainless headers are only $500 which I don't think is bad at all and they are a nice piece. Run the stock heat shields. I have been running the stock mufflers and it has been a decent set up. 35K miles on it now. Not really much louder, but has a more pronounced deceleration rumble. It runs way cooler on the right leg.

I just bought a set of S&S 4” Grand National slip on mufflers on the for sale section here. I haven't put them on yet, but I expect they will sound good. It is going to Shamrock Cycles in Round Rock for a proper dyno tune after the mufflers are on.
Yeah I’ve been toying with the idea of a header but not sure. I’d like to get rid of the heat on the right leg. Not looking for improved performance or sound, hence just gutting the stock header. If I spend money on a new header, I’d like to see improved performance, not sure there’s much performance gain that would come with a header on a stage 1.

I’d like to get away from the stock heat shields since two of mine are broken in half. I can’t seem to find any stock shields for sale.

The Jackpot is nice, though I’m surprised it doesn’t change the rear crossover pipe and it still uses a 90° connection to the crossover.

I really like the Cobra Neighbor Hater mufflers. They improved the sound quite a bit over the SE Street Cannons. I did have to retune going to the Cobras, and performance and fuel economy are improved.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:56 PM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

Yeah I’ve been toying with the idea of a header but not sure. I’d like to get rid of the heat on the right leg. Not looking for improved performance or sound, hence just gutting the stock header. If I spend money on a new header, I’d like to see improved performance, not sure there’s much performance gain that would come with a header on a stage 1.

I’d like to get away from the stock heat shields since two of mine are broken in half. I can’t seem to find any stock shields for sale.

The Jackpot is nice, though I’m surprised it doesn’t change the rear crossover pipe and it still uses a 90° connection to the crossover.

I really like the Cobra Neighbor Hater mufflers. They improved the sound quite a bit over the SE Street Cannons. I did have to retune going to the Cobras, and performance and fuel economy are improved.
You are probably right about not seeing any real gain from a header on a stage 1. Maybe some gain to be had over stock with a good dyno tune. I can't say if I would have noticed anything from just the header change over stock because I did an air cleaner and a Power Vision at the same time. Naturally, I did notice that the bike ran better. My thinking was I really wanted to get rid of the heat on the right side and decided I would save the stock pipe in case I ever needed to put it back on. Figured the added benefit of a good header was it would set me up for a cam install down the road. I haven't done a cam yet, I am pretty happy with the way the bike runs. 2 of my heat shields broke too. I ended up buying new ones because I didn't have any luck looking for used.

One thing I did do that I noticed improved performance from was I changed out the plastic intake with a Screaming Eagle 55mm intake. I didn't expect any performance gain, I just did it to get rid of the plastic and because I had some reward points piled up. But surprisingly I did notice some improved performance from it.

BrandonSmith (04-19-2024)

Quick Reply: Brandon's 2017 FLHX