Sponsored by:

Update about adding street tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts
Default Update about adding street tuner

A little background if you haven't followed this post, I had RC slip ons and over the weekend I installed the screamin eagle high flow kit. I did not add a tuner because I was told to ride it a few days without and see how it ran. It ran like a champ! I am so paranoid about the warranty I decided to add the street tuner. Well here is my update to adding the street tuner today. There was zero decel popping before I added the tuner, now I'm popping and gurgling every time I let off the throttle. When I snap the throttle sitting still or at a traffic light it now hesitates and stumbles, before the tuner It was very sharp and crisp. It is idling kind of rough and is staying around 1100 rpm. Long story short, it ran better without the street tuner and I want my $378 back! LoL. I guess I will be back at the dealer at the end of the week to flash back to stock. Oh well, I tried, that's all I can do. Thanks for everyone's time and comments (even the sarcastic ones) it's all good. Ride safe!

Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 PM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

That sucks Bro. I've seen quite a few other threads where the same thing happened to others. I have a M8 CVO SG, I upgraded to Fullsac 2.25" CVO power cores and am expecting a new AC this weekend. I'll ride it for a while and see how things go with the increased airflow from the mufflers and the AC before I pull the trigger on any tuner. I am seriously looking at the TTS Mastertuner tune regardless of warranty issue, although one of the HD dealers uses TTS and says they will cover any issues. I don't need any comments from the peanut gallery, I know the dealers don't provide the warranty, the MoCo does, but at this point I have less confidence in the Street Tuner then I do in any unforeseen warranty issues.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:44 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I have personally seen the SEPST not install completely and cause the bike to run poorly. Once successfully flashed the bike ran perfect.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
I have personally seen the SEPST not install completely and cause the bike to run poorly. Once successfully flashed the bike ran perfect.
The dealer installed it, how would I know if it didn't successfully install?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
The dealer installed it, how would I know if it didn't successfully install?
The way you describe how your bike runs is evidence that the install was not successful. The changes made by a stage one map would be minimal. there is no reason for a tune to be that far off to cause your issues as you state them.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

guess it's possible they installed the wrong calibration..the way you describe the change if they did put the Stage 1 in then obviously some aftermarket performance mufflers don't play nicely at all and can 'backfire' on you trying to match with SE performance parts/updates. My SE canons, high flow, pro street tuner stage 1 calibration runs purrrrfectly..EXACTLY the same smooth driveability as stock with more oomph everywhere. didn't they do a test ride after the update? they're supposed to and if they had, that's total bullshit that they returned it to you in that running condition and you riding off to find that out..I'd take it back and have them validate the correct calibration is in there...if it is then maybe they can dyno tune it, or you could put street canons on and it will be spot on..or just run it like before and pray it doesn't detonate this summer..good luck

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-14-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I too installed the Street tuner for my M8. My problem is that the VCI does not see the bike. I have triple checked to make sure everything is plugged in, and it is. The cables are all new, so a bad one is highly unlikely.

I turn the ignition switch to "ON" position and the VCI does not light up at all. The tuning software even says that there is NO communication.
Any ideas here?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
I too installed the Street tuner for my M8. My problem is that the VCI does not see the bike. I have triple checked to make sure everything is plugged in, and it is. The cables are all new, so a bad one is highly unlikely.

I turn the ignition switch to "ON" position and the VCI does not light up at all. The tuning software even says that there is NO communication.
Any ideas here?
did you make sure the engine Run/Stop switch is in the Run position along with the Ignition being on?

Last edited by mjwebb; 03-14-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 PM
the feff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at my dealer last week looking at Cobra & Reinhardt slip ons. I asked if I needed to tune them - they had an interesting answer. They are not tuning any slip ons that at not the SE because they are having terrible results getting a good tune other than with SE street cannons.
I asked what about the warranty issues of not tuning - its a catch 22 because they told not to waste my money if I am buying non Harley pipes.

Bought the Cobra NH, I will put them on as soon as it warms up the snow is gone and see how the bike runs.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop

Any ideas here?
The VCI won't light up until there is already a connection to the software and the VCI is placed in data collection mode. You should get the green dot instead of the red at the bottom left of the software near the MC symbol. If you don't try starting the software with the cable to the laptop unplugged and motorcycle ignition switch / run-stop switches on, then reconnect USB cable to the laptop.. At that point, the laptop should give an "alert" sound just like when you plug in a USB drive and the dot near the MC symbol should turn from read to green. If it doesn't try another usb port.

Also make sure all the plugs in the cables are firmly seated in their respective connectors.

Quick Reply: Update about adding street tuner