Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Slip on will void warranty (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1175497-slip-on-will-void-warranty.html)

Redrodyankneck 05-09-2017 05:24 PM

Really???

Gibler77 05-09-2017 05:24 PM

I bought my Road King off the floor with RC Component slip-one already installed. My dealer would have a hard time arguing a warranty issue.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 05:25 PM

That's my new plan. I love the rc and heard the street cannons have a bad sound.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 05:31 PM

Agreed but then why do they sell the rcx? Hypocritical to make money off a product and then void a warranty for using. If only Harley parts work then don't sell other manufacturers parts. I for one won't hire a lawyer but a good one would have a field day taking apart a dealer who sold a item that when you put it on voided a warranty.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 05:38 PM

Gibker: my dealer will cover the bike but traveling will be a problem. If another dealer places it in the computer the warranty is voided period. That comes straight from Harley and I was told by a different dealer that's exactly what they would do if I brought bike in. Once warranty voided even your dealer would have trouble with harley. When asked about why dealers sell if it voids warranty, I was told theyre independenly owned. BS but why risk a warranty on unproven motor.

Redrodyankneck 05-09-2017 05:50 PM

OK, Screaming eagle street cannons on stock bike, no tune, is warranty voided because HD says the ECM must be re tuned with a Pro street tuner.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by purpledeuce (Post 16221146)
The EPA decree states only the tuner will void the warranty. Slip Ons will not void the warranty. A harley customer service rep telling you to buy only harley products - a wild concept

Harley rep said they have decided that any powertrain add on has to be approved by their engineers or warranty is voided. I have this saved as a recording. I really believe they are serious about shutting down other manufacturers parts. As crazy as it sounds there will be 2017 owners who lose their warranty because they purchased a slip on muffler possibly from the dealer . That's a fact 2017 owners need to accept . Is it worth running slip ons and possibly having to pay thousands of dollars for as repair. Honestly, I'm not trying to scare people or be argumentative. I just want everyone to be informed of how serious a decision it is to make any changes thanks

thealien 05-09-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by sixguns (Post 16221193)
I for one agree with Harley. You purchase my product with a warranty and then you modify it with an others parts and expect me to warranty it? Screw off!

Do you have your Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealer install your exhaust when needed? No because it just needs to pass EPA guidelines.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 06:05 PM

RCX slip on

Originally Posted by Redrodyankneck (Post 16221369)
OK, Screaming eagle street cannons on stock bike, no tune, is warranty voided because HD says the ECM must be re tuned with a Pro street tuner.

I would talk directly with harley customer service and get a straight answer. I'm guessing that if they say to tune it they could use that to void your warranty. What the dealer says locally has no bearing at a national level if it was me id tune it.

mastergunnera8 05-09-2017 06:11 PM

If they start playing extreme hardball, then customers should start doing the same. I understand about the tuner deal, changing how an engine actually operates, but EPA compliant slip ons..really?

Have we heard of a dealer getting fined for selling M8s with mods or performing the mods as directed in the ruling? I haven't seen a report yet....maybe MoCo is playing hard with customers, but not their dealers?...

I can only see the "but they're independently owned" thing going so far..they have the HD on their doors and are representatives of the brand and company..

Oh, and the measly 13 million dollar fine? chumpchange...they spend more than that on paper and toner in a year...