Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Slip on will void warranty (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1175497-slip-on-will-void-warranty.html)

mkely5094 05-09-2017 06:26 PM

geeze, HD has really turned us all into a bunch of pussies hasn't it? Ever heard of a class action lawsuit? Guaranteed the first warranty HD voids due to an EPA approved add on will launch a huge class action lawsuit, something Harley certainly doesn't want from their customers but I'm sure there are lawyers lurking these forums just waiting to pounce. And I have yet to hear of a single instance where HD has actually voided a single warranty yet since the M8s came out. Arent we all just a little tired of their ghestoppo tactics yet?

Soon2Be1 05-09-2017 07:20 PM

So here is the interesting part about that statement form the HD customer service, under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, they CANNOT void the warranty for the power train based on the slip ons, its in violation of the Fair Trade Commission. I understand the head pipe with a cat and the tuner (which was the ONLY agreement they made with the EPA) but slip ons, nope.

Redrodyankneck 05-09-2017 07:31 PM

Mkely,
There is a forum member that had his warranty voided after his oil pump failed. This was a problem with some of earlier M8's. His warranty claim was denied because of a FP3, hardly related to the oil pump failure by any stretch of the imagination but the FeulPack 3 is a non EPA compliant tuner.

todd-67 05-09-2017 09:01 PM

Do you expect corporate to tell you anything different? They are under a decree. Violating it would mean more fines, possible jail time for the officers and other possible actions. At least that is the line we were told under our CD. I doubt any dealer wants that lable as being the one turning people in. As long as the digital upload shows no aftermarket tuner your chances of a waranty denial are slim. Harley is telling you what they have to. For all they know you could be the EPA calling testing the waters to see if they are holding true to the agreement.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 09:10 PM

RCX slip on

Originally Posted by todd-67 (Post 16222123)
Do you expect corporate to tell you anything different? They are under a decree. Violating it would mean more fines, possible jail time for the officers and other possible actions. At least that is the line we were told under our CD. I doubt any dealer wants that lable as being the one turning people in. As long as the digital upload shows no aftermarket tuner your chances of a waranty denial are slim. Harley is telling you what they have to. For all they know you could be the EPA calling testing the waters to see if they are holding true to the agreement.

Hi don't think that's true cause it's not an EPA issue. Pipes are 50 state compliant so they would have no cause to worry. I have a 50 state certification. No this is a definite warranty issue. I was told it don't matter if pipes are EPA compliant but Harley has to approve that any mod won't harm their motor. He said they used to ignore but are strict with the 2017. I also had a dealer I was looking to buy an air filter from tell me not to bring the bike in with the pipes or they would turn me in . No, this is not EPA it's harley

Soon2Be1 05-09-2017 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zoom1077 (Post 16222152)
.... I also had a dealer I was looking to buy an air filter from tell me not to bring the bike in with the pipes or they would turn me in . No, this is not EPA it's harley

Calling BS on this one!!!

Specifically, what dealer told you they will void the warranty with slip ons?

Even more absurd, EPA compliant slip ons!!!

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Soon2Be1 (Post 16222192)
Calling BS on this one!!!

Specifically, what dealer told you they will void the warranty with slip ons?

Even more absurd, EPA compliant slip ons!!!

I don't really care if you believe this or not. My primary purpose for doing this email was to warn others. Today I had to remove a pair of 600 dollar pipes that I loved due to a very lengthy and recorded conversation with harley. The dealer that told me this is twin city Harley in Blaine Minnesota. They conversation I had was with a person named Matt responding to a very specific letter I wrote. He represents Harley and is very knowledgeable. If you need any additional info you can pm me. Don't be so quick to judge someone's who's trying to help. People can believe the forum or do as I did and actually do research . Your choice thanks

Timberwolf2017 05-09-2017 09:38 PM

Good grief, there is so much disinformation out there regarding the 2017 warranty, makes me want to just get rid of it. Mine has stage 1 with the Pro Street tuner, my dealer says warranty is good because that tuner is EPA compliant, but another dealer may void my warranty? Sounds like either the dealers or HD are making this up as they go along. Cars/trucks are getting like this also. I have a 2015 Ram with the Cummins diesel, if you delete the EPA crap, diesel particulate filter, diesel exhaust fluid, SCR catalytic converter, EGR valve(these are what causes most of the issues) you will void your warranty and I am hearing now the EPA can fine you. There is no way around this, once you tune the Cummins, it is stored in the ECU and the next time you are in for service it will be uploaded and warranty voided. Severe overreach by the EPA.

Zoom1077 05-09-2017 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Timberwolf2017 (Post 16222285)
Good grief, there is so much disinformation out there regarding the 2017 warranty, makes me want to just get rid of it. Mine has stage 1 with the Pro Street tuner, my dealer says warranty is good because that tuner is EPA compliant, but another dealer may void my warranty? Sounds like either the dealers or HD are making this up as they go along. Cars/trucks are getting like this also. I have a 2015 Ram with the Cummins diesel, if you delete the EPA crap, diesel particulate filter, diesel exhaust fluid, SCR catalytic converter, EGR valve(these are what causes most of the issues) you will void your warranty and I am hearing now the EPA can fine you. There is no way around this, once you tune the Cummins, it is stored in the ECU and the next time you are in for service it will be uploaded and warranty voided. Severe overreach by the EPA.

If you use the Harley street cannons and tuner your warranty is good. Only non Harley items break the warranty even if epa compliant. What I was told is only Harley parts and tuner. Don't get hung up on epa it's only Harley approved that keep warranty.

Timberwolf2017 05-09-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zoom1077 (Post 16222314)
If you use the Harley street cannons and tuner your warranty is good. Only non Harley items break the warranty even if epa compliant. What I was told is only Harley parts and tuner. Don't get hung up on epa it's only Harley approved that keep warranty.

I have V&H head pipes and muffs, SE breather and Pro Street tuner, so anybody's guess if I have a warranty anymore