Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,148 Likes on 3,353 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
HAHA?

OK. I'm glad you see some kind of amusement in this situation. Me? Not so much. Out of three dozen bikes, this is the most expensive motorcycle I've ever owned. A 21st century Harley that has serious fluid transfer? Reminds me of the 70's. Other than being younger and stronger, I see no reason to revisit the 70's.

I'd be fine with treating a classic Norton Commando or Triumph Bonneville this way, but I'd like my modern bikes to be held to a higher standard.

Yeah I can say "2016 model year". But I'd never buy "it" again.

I've been riding since I was 9. That was 1971. Other than dirt bikes, actually lots of dirt bikes (motocross, observed trials, enduros, Et Al) I haven't owned anything other than Harley's since the mid 80's. For years (decades) I've been asking myself every time I got a new Harley, "why I don't I just buy a Goldwing?". After one ride on the M8 last autumn I thought, "I'll never think about a Goldwing again". The M8 is smooth, torquey, has a tight frame and suspension. Heck why look elsewhere? This was a major step up from any Twin Cam bike Ive ridden. Not to mention Evos and Shovelheads. Please... Been there, done that....

After 30 years with Harley I'm done with the whole paint shaker thing. If you're OK with it - keep riding twin cams, but I'm not about to spend another nickel on Twin Cams or earlier. For me it's either my M8 (fixed, no more fluid issues!) or a Goldwing. I'm just getting ready to slide into the retirement years. I'm looking forward to some trouble free motorcycle touring.

$hit, I remember being 9 or 10 years old at the Honda shop sitting on SL70's and SL100's, I'd see these grey haired guys ride up on their CB750's, and a bit later, Goldwings. They would be all decked out with Vetter fairings and mostly Vetter saddlebags. I'd think, "when I'm old, that will be me". Part of me couldn't wait. Well, now I'm at that age.

Sidebar:
If Vetter luggage/fairings don't ring a bell with you, do a Google search. I.E.:http://craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_...ings-main.html
There are MANY more internet posts. It is motorcycle history...

Yeah, those 70's Hondas would take a severe beating and keep going. In fact, every bike I've had from then on would keep up with me. I didn't need to baby any of them. Including my Harleys. Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, BMWs, Triumphs. You NAME IT. Now with my brand new 21st century Harley I'm supposed to check and level fluids every few weeks?

Screw that!

There's a reason I stayed away from Harley during the 70's and early 80's. Wrenching on a bike is fun, even therapeutic for me. Same with Hot Rods. But only when you are wrenchin' for more performance or better aesthetics. Wrenching on a bike or car to just get it where you're going is stupid. Period!

Well again, if this is your thing, ride on my brother. But the Indians are about the ugliest looking bike I've ever seen. This year in Sturgis while my wife and I had time to kill, we spent some time at the Indian store looking them over. They had huge banners proclaiming they were the "Highest Volume Indian Dealership" nationwide. After a quick look past the new Indians we spent more time looking at the used bikes for sale. Some of the 10 and 15 year old bikes for sale made my dick harder than any of the new Indians.

I personally think Polaris made a huge mistake killing the Victory brand and keeping the Indian brand. The Indian brand, or Logo, has boatloads of history, and I like history, but I'd never buy one now. History and marketing can only get you so far down the road. I could see myself maybe buying a Victory someday never an Indian unless they change drastically.

Pity.

I love the Indian history. I've even liked a few Indian models over the last couple decades when they were trying to revive the brand under several different owners/management teams. This was mostly true for me when they had the round cylinder S&S motor. Again, if this doesn't make sense, do a Google search...

But DAMN the Indian bikes they're building right now are ugly. If you like 'em, buy 'em. Not me...

Peace out.
I could NOT have said it better. This is my first Harley. Same background as you, I was born in 1960's and remember well the sewing machine reliable Honda's and others. Had a Super Rat that I could not kill no matter how hard I tried,LOL. HD better get their sh*t together quick because the very people they are trying to get on board ( people coming from other brands like me) will walk away just as quick if we have to put up with being sensitive to the bikes "needs" and quirks.

The following users liked this post:
SLOWRACER (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
I could NOT have said it better. This is my first Harley. Same background as you, I was born in 1960's and remember well the sewing machine reliable Honda's and others. Had a Super Rat that I could not kill no matter how hard I tried,LOL. HD better get their sh*t together quick because the very people they are trying to get on board ( people coming from other brands like me) will walk away just as quick if we have to put up with being sensitive to the bikes "needs" and quirks.
Do you have transfer stix? It's raining cats and dogs here in Michigan, or I'd check mine. Rainy cold shitty weather here, terrible vacation.......

Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,148 Likes on 3,353 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Do you have transfer stix? It's raining cats and dogs here in Michigan, or I'd check mine. Rainy cold shitty weather here, terrible vacation.......
I have been hesitant to say,LOL. Don't want to curse myself.
That being said, the only fluid I have had to address is adding 20 oz of engine oil after in the 1,800 miles since my 1,000 mile service.

Trying to be vague to avoid the dreaded "He hasn't missed a field goal this year and this ones for the game".. "Cant believe he missed that field goal! syndrome

TomcatCV62 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 11:26 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by 103Eagle
In case you have not paid attention.......those of us that have the issue have been to the dealer, called the MOCO and got reference numbers, filed complaints with the authorities........and are trying to get it resolved thru our warranties.

As for talking about it, those of us that have this issue have ENLIGHTENED many of those that never check their trans fluid and we have helped each other with communication due to lack of it from the MOCO and or dealers........

Can you tell we are frustrated??? So do you think your comment has helped or enlightened any of us already? Thanks to Steve Cole for working tireless on a fix and to all that have shared information here.

Glad you are happy with your 14, maybe you should move along and read another forum if you are so tired of us talking here.

Eagle Out

I do agree with you. I'm not tired of reading about this at all, this is the thread I look at the most. I'm glad most of you are doing it right. I hope all the new ones seeing this problem will do the same as you and others. Like I said I was thinking of a 18, but with this going, on I'm keeping my 14 King until I see a real fix.
I wish all of you the best of luck and I feel bad for anyone with this, and what looks like no big deal to some,,, I think it is a big deal.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:12 PM
1890jd
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Went and took a look at the vent hose on the new M8. Looks kind of small to me. I know the one on my evo is 2-3 times larger. Don't know if the problem is that simple or not. Obviously these transmissions are building pressure otherwise the fluid would not migrate. Interested in these bikes but kind of leary with this problem and Harley has no answer that they want to admit to.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 PM
1890jd
Cruiser
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

On a side note of sort, I did quiz the parts guy when I picked up some windshield docking washers. Yep, never heard of it. Although he did mention the problem with the loose oil spray nozzles in the motor.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Quick question for Steve Cole or anyone else that feels qualified to chime in. Is there anything at all in the M8 application in the new Softail line up to say it can't happen to them, as well? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,353 Likes on 3,685 Posts

Originally Posted by TedMan
Quick question for Steve Cole or anyone else that feels qualified to chime in. Is there anything at all in the M8 application in the new Softail line up to say it can't happen to them, as well? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

They don't have hydraulic clutches.. The clutch actuating mechanism is mechanical and way different on the right side of the bike where the tranny oil can get to the clutch pushrod in the mainshaft. Bet its not an issue with the softails..

Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I do agree with you. I'm not tired of reading about this at all, this is the thread I look at the most. I'm glad most of you are doing it right. I hope all the new ones seeing this problem will do the same as you and others. Like I said I was thinking of a 18, but with this going, on I'm keeping my 14 King until I see a real fix.
I wish all of you the best of luck and I feel bad for anyone with this, and what looks like no big deal to some,,, I think it is a big deal.
I've been reading this thread a lot as well... Can I ask one favor of everyone keeping tabs on this tread... When the MoCo finally does provide a fix and we know the bikes coming out of their manufacturing plant no longer have this issue, can someone start a new thread "Fluid Migration Fixed" ...?? Please Please... I don't always get to this thread and I don't want to miss it 4 pages back because I didn't look at the right time... LOL... I'm kind of being sarcastic, but kind of not...

GPHDXLC (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 01:52 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TedMan
Originally Posted by Max Headflow
They don't have hydraulic clutches.. The clutch actuating mechanism is mechanical and way different on the right side of the bike where the tranny oil can get to the clutch pushrod in the mainshaft. Bet its not an issue with the softails..
Do not say that! This is the only thread of logical reasoning that I have been using to justify not trading in my Slim S...

hell, I just order slip-ons for it and changed the rear tire...

All joking aside... I thought it impacted all M8 bikes. Would be great if some of the new Softail owners could chime in after putting a few thousand miles on theirs...

I decided to wait more before I get the Fat Boy...

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?