Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:24 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,750 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Unfortunately, mine has been back at the dealers for weeks waiting for them to work some sort of new magic trick on it........ again. Might not ever get that bike back or ride it again. This game is coming to a quick end here REAL soon man!
As well it should! You haven’t really been able to enjoy that ride since you bought it!

Old 01-19-2018, 10:27 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,089 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
As well it should! You haven’t really been able to enjoy that ride since you bought it!
Owned it 10 months and it's been in the shop for 4 of them. Got over 12,000 miles on it, but only 7 of those were worry free......... I tired of this.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:15 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,310 Likes on 3,660 Posts

That definitely looks like it will work.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,745 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Looks really good. Will the primary still be able to vent?

Guess you could simply poke a tiny hole through the seal at the top or something.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:22 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by lp
Looks really good. Will the primary still be able to vent?

Guess you could simply poke a tiny hole through the seal at the top or something.
Yes, I’m going to drill a small hole through the top of the actuator, this will vent the primary. I want to have this installed before I go to Steve Cole’s shop to test the cams. I don’t want to have to worry about transfer when we’re busy with the tests.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:59 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 499 Posts

Yes, I’m going to drill a small hole through the top of the actuator, this will vent the primary. I want to have this installed before I go to Steve Cole’s shop to test the cams. I don’t want to have to worry about transfer when we’re busy with the tests.
I really hope this works. The time, effort, and money that you and Steve have put into trying to solve this is beyond commendable.

On the other hand, it will be bittersweet. Over a year of this problem and the MOCO with all their money and resources is still getting their butts kicked. Unflippan believable.

The following users liked this post:
Dynamick (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Roadie13
I really hope this works. The time, effort, and money that you and Steve have put into trying to solve this is beyond commendable.

On the other hand, it will be bittersweet. Over a year of this problem and the MOCO with all their money and resources is still getting their butts kicked. Unflippan believable.
The further I get with this solution, the more confidence I have in it. I could offer it to other owners with this problem, but I am not a machinist. Therefore I am paying a machine shop $100 an hour to do this work. That would mean I would have to charge somewhere around $250-300 for this with exchange parts. Also, if I were machining the parts, especially the nut, I would have done a better polish job on it. Now I'm going to have to go back and polish it myself which is a pain.

The best thing that could happen is for the MOCO to pick this up and offer it. They could make sure the seal material is correct (I'm using Nitrile, it was all that was offered in the proper size, but is appears to meet the criteria) and I would hope do a better job on the nut. I have been told that they won't do this because they will have to clear EPA and CARB again because of the different primary vent. That may be true, but if so they ought to just bite the bullet and do it. I would think that they have spent at least that much on this already, but it is possible that this is not a big priority for them. That could change if they get hit with some law suits.
I have already put the seal I'm using on this thread, so anyone wanting copy this is welcome to it. I will have it installed and preliminarily tested it in a couple months, so before the summer riding season.

Stay tuned. I will document it when I install it in my bike. That will probably be at least a couple weeks.

The following 9 users liked this post by $tonecold:
103Eagle (01-22-2018), bzb123 (01-20-2018), FatBob2018 (01-23-2018), FM500 (01-20-2018), mjwebb (01-20-2018), MotoJockey (01-20-2018), Northernproducer (01-20-2018), sixguns (01-20-2018), Steve Helton (01-23-2018) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:28 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,615 Likes on 4,458 Posts

The further I get with this solution, the more confidence I have in it. I could offer it to other owners with this problem, but I am not a machinist. Therefore I am paying a machine shop $100 an hour to do this work. That would mean I would have to charge somewhere around $250-300 for this with exchange parts. Also, if I were machining the parts, especially the nut, I would have done a better polish job on it. Now I'm going to have to go back and polish it myself which is a pain.

The best thing that could happen is for the MOCO to pick this up and offer it. They could make sure the seal material is correct (I'm using Nitrile, it was all that was offered in the proper size, but is appears to meet the criteria) and I would hope do a better job on the nut. I have been told that they won't do this because they will have to clear EPA and CARB again because of the different primary vent. That may be true, but if so they ought to just bite the bullet and do it. I would think that they have spent at least that much on this already, but it is possible that this is not a big priority for them. That could change if they get hit with some law suits.
I have already put the seal I'm using on this thread, so anyone wanting copy this is welcome to it. I will have it installed and preliminarily tested it in a couple months, so before the summer riding season.

Stay tuned. I will document it when I install it in my bike. That will probably be at least a couple weeks.

this could be such a huge win, great work..question: don't recall the severity, consistency, etc. of your transfer condition..will validation be pretty obvious fairly quick under repeatable conditions, circumstances, etc.? thanks

Old 01-20-2018, 03:03 PM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjwebb
this could be such a huge win, great work..question: don't recall the severity, consistency, etc. of your transfer condition..will validation be pretty obvious fairly quick under repeatable conditions, circumstances, etc.? thanks
What I verified was 6 oz. in 1300 miles. I don’t know if I will get to ride it much before I go to do the cam testing at Steve’s, but the dyno runs should accelerate the transfer, so this should be well confirmed by the end of the testing.

mjwebb (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 04:00 PM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Trans fluid

My 7 month old 17 SGS with 2,300 miles on it was picked up by the dealer on Friday 1/19. Stopped by service today and was told the will be calling Harley on Tuesday regarding the issue. Promised to make it right or replace the bike. We shall see.

04ctd (01-21-2018)

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?