Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crewchief25
I showed the same pix and was told mine is white in color and different than the black slinger

Who did your repair? I talked to my dealer Saturday and they said noting has been proven to help. It would be nice to get this fixed.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Cool........ Good luck my friend. Hope it works out for you. Please report back after about 1000 miles.
I’ll report back after numerous dyno pulls. I’ll have it in when I go to test cams with Steve. If it doesn’t transfer then it probably isn’t going to on the road.

The following 2 users liked this post by $tonecold:
103Eagle (02-12-2018), MotoJockey (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:45 AM
crewchief25
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts
Default slinger

Originally Posted by $tonecold
If that is their fix then I’ll move ahead with the seal. I don’t think that is going to fix the severe transfer problems some are having. If the cap has a seal or O-ring in it then it would, but would the primary vent?
I would have liked to have it in my hand to look at it closely, but that wasn't the case. The tech at my dealer that work with the HD tech told me later that it needed to be tapped in with a dead blow & driver of some sort and in his opinion there was no reason why it should not fix the issue. He said its in the main shaft pretty tight. The HD tech said he has done several bikes with different mileage. One bike has over 5000 miles and is good...

Old 02-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,458 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by crewchief25
I would have liked to have it in my hand to look at it closely, but that wasn't the case. The tech at my dealer that work with the HD tech told me later that it needed to be tapped in with a dead blow & driver of some sort and in his opinion there was no reason why it should not fix the issue. He said its in the main shaft pretty tight. The HD tech said he has done several bikes with different mileage. One bike has over 5000 miles and is good...

Well I can assure you many of us have had that fix and it has NOT fixed the bikes. It would have been nice if it did. My personal bike was ridden for 18 - 20 miles after the fix only to have the fluid level drop off the dipstick completely. When returned to dealership again they only wanted to add fluid and then have me return every 500 miles to have it topped up as needed, sorry but that no fix i n my book!

The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:41 PM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 1,268 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I’ll report back after numerous dyno pulls. I’ll have it in when I go to test cams with Steve. If it doesn’t transfer then it probably isn’t going to on the road.
I was referring to crewchief25's post, but yeah Mark, you need to report back as well buddy! And soon I hope!

Old 02-12-2018, 03:05 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,683 Likes on 4,486 Posts

mine is still about where it was when I posted this thread, dropping from Full to Add, add a couple ounces, rinse and repeat a couple times between 5k Primary drain..interesting thing is Primary level passes the eyeball test for level consistency, but might be hard to notice 4-6 ounces spread out..don't know, don't pay close enough attention to it since it's been manageable and hasn't caused a problem yet...still in hurry up and wait mode

Old 02-12-2018, 03:14 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

When this thread started, I was on a cross country ride. at sometime during this coast to coast and back trip my level went from 1/2 way full to the add line. I got home and read this thread and gained my sanity back, I had not underfilled the transmission. That bike never transferred any more than that in over 15k Miles. Fast forward to my 2018 and its dropped 4 oz in 4411 miles. will be glad to see this issue come to an end, meanwhile I just keep on keeping on, and Im headed back across in May. Good Times.

Last edited by sixguns; 02-12-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

We are hearing very little about this "latest fix" from the people on this and other M/C forums. It could be because of the cold weather or maybe riders that have had it done don't follow any forums. I still hold that the majority of M8 riders aren't even aware of the migration problem. Most take their bikes into the dealer to have fluids changed. The service man drops the 3 plugs and dumps the fluids without checking levels. No problems noted. Most of the guys I ride with don't even have the tools to change fluids nor the inclination to do so if they did. Since it does not appear to be a safety issue I doubt the Feds will get involved. So, it is up to the MOCO to voluntarily order a recall should they somehow declare they have a "fix". They may know what the fix is but unless they admit to it they won't order any kind of a recall on their own. I think that for those of use who are plagued by the fluid migration..we are SOL.

The following users liked this post:
103Eagle (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:45 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,683 Likes on 4,486 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
We are hearing very little about this "latest fix" from the people on this and other M/C forums. It could be because of the cold weather or maybe riders that have had it done don't follow any forums. I still hold that the majority of M8 riders aren't even aware of the migration problem. Most take their bikes into the dealer to have fluids changed. The service man drops the 3 plugs and dumps the fluids without checking levels. No problems noted. Most of the guys I ride with don't even have the tools to change fluids nor the inclination to do so if they did. Since it does not appear to be a safety issue I doubt the Feds will get involved. So, it is up to the MOCO to voluntarily order a recall should they somehow declare they have a "fix". They may know what the fix is but unless they admit to it they won't order any kind of a recall on their own. I think that for those of use who are plagued by the fluid migration..we are SOL.
this is all so true..we have several friends with M8's we ride regularly with..I never even brought this up to them because they fall into the drop the bike off for service intervals category and some wouldn't even know where the damn transmission dipstick is..nontheless, they have all racked up 10-20K miles without any reported problems and I would venture a guess that at least one of them may have low levels if they ever bothered to check..or maybe not..

Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Ohio here, a bit cold and snowy to ride. My dealer said that 4 bikes that they are aware have the transfer issue, mine included. So far none have had success with the seal/spacer fix. Only 1 so far has the wiper/slinger installed and he has not been able to ride and test results due to the weather. I agree its been quiet. Service manager thought the wiper/slinger was white in color not the black shown in the forums previously. Anyone else that has the slinger, was yours black or a different color? Curious if they may have used a different material or just an updated slinger. .....

Eagle Out

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?