Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:08 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I course at my age the RADIUSX auto clutch may be in my future to extend my ability to ride, but at this time I have no problem pulling in the clutch.
Have you heard of EMF auto clutch? I've used these in the passed on builds for people with disabilities. http://efmautoclutch.com/

Old 10-31-2018, 02:08 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

So, installing heavier clutch springs will reduce the harmonic vibrations and pulses that may be causing fluid migration? Just thinking out loud again... bad habit...

Old 10-31-2018, 02:17 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,237 Likes on 3,541 Posts

Originally Posted by RK14SGS
So, installing heavier clutch springs will reduce the harmonic vibrations and pulses that may be causing fluid migration? Just thinking out loud again... bad habit...
I seriously doubt it. As I pointed out in a post further up, my transfer increased with the installation of the AIM VP SDR clutch in which the performance version (which I have) comes with heavier springs. Not by much, as it transferred very little in the first place.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:12 PM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Truly an amazing thread after almost 3000 posts and 3 model years of bikes. And Harley Davidson still can't quite understand why their sales are declining?? Really?? Why would anyone want to knowingly buy a product that costs tens of thousands of $s only to have to use home brew solutions to correct a significant drivetrain problem that should be the responsibility of the manufacturer to correct. Simply amazing that this ridiculous issue continues after 3 model years of selling their defective products.
Possibly because the issue is not quantifiable, only HD nerve centre would be aware of how many have been brought in.
If it was a 60/40 probability (or likely to cause danger to life) I imagine a recall would be on the cards. social media what it is these days everything becomes amplified so we can only guess.
Any one know how many Hyd Clutch tourers have been manufactured since 2017 (M8s)?
Not that Im saying it want an issue on the later Rushmore’s as I had a low trans which I only noticed whilst servicing my 103” once - at that stage though I just accepted it without any reasoning as I wasnt aware there “could” be an issue.
fingers crossed my M8 is ok ....so far....
All the best

Old 11-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by royston

Possibly because the issue is not quantifiable, only HD nerve centre would be aware of how many have been brought in.
If it was a 60/40 probability (or likely to cause danger to life) I imagine a recall would be on the cards. social media what it is these days everything becomes amplified so we can only guess.
Any one know how many Hyd Clutch tourers have been manufactured since 2017 (M8s)?
Not that Im saying it want an issue on the later Rushmore’s as I had a low trans which I only noticed whilst servicing my 103” once - at that stage though I just accepted it without any reasoning as I wasnt aware there “could” be an issue.
All the best
Based on the quarterly earnings report, HD sells about 9000 Touring bikes per month worldwide. That’s roughly 234,000 Touring bikes with hydraulic clutches sold worldwide since 9/16 when the 2017 M8s were launched.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:19 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Truly an amazing thread after almost 3000 posts and 3 model years of bikes. And Harley Davidson still can't quite understand why their sales are declining?? Really?? Why would anyone want to knowingly buy a product that costs tens of thousands of $s only to have to use home brew solutions to correct a significant drivetrain problem that should be the responsibility of the manufacturer to correct. Simply amazing that this ridiculous issue continues after 3 model years of selling their defective products.
Well that pretty much says it all, doesn't it boys and girls? Nothing left to say!

Old 11-01-2018, 09:40 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,683 Likes on 4,486 Posts

Originally Posted by royston

All the best
well they recalled 238,000 recently for the hydraulic clutch so there's a baseline to start with anyway

Last edited by mjwebb; 11-01-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:15 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 941 Posts
Default 3 Piece Pushrod and Modified Inner Cover

I had the 2015 RGS with the DD7 dyno tuned yesterday. The last time it was dynoed it transferred enough fluid it didn’t register on the stick. Since then I have installed the 2014 three piece hydraulic pushrod and the inner side cover that I modified. The tuning took longer than expected yesterday, but at the end the transmission level was still at the top mark. I am confident this combination is going to work, but I will continue to monitor the level and report back if anything changes. This is how the inner side cover was modified.

Thanks to Steve at Fullsac Performance for staying with it to give me the best tune possible!

Old 11-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Gamma742
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold

Thanks to Steve at Fullsac Performance for staying with it to give me the best tune possible!

What type of Tuner did you use?

Old 11-03-2018, 01:18 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 941 Posts

L
Originally Posted by Gamma742
What type of Tuner did you use?
It was a TTS. The cam has a lot of overlap and it was messing with the tuning at low rpm. He did get it to a level of torque at a low enough rpm that I can live with it. If I could do it all over again I would drop the compression to 10.5:1 and use the TTS 150 cams. He showed me a graph on a 107 TC he tuned with the TTS 150 cams that was making 100 ft/lb of torque at 1800 rpm and made 120 ft/lb with a flat torque line to about 3500-4000 rpm. Mine makes 132 ft/lb of torque but it doesn’t cross the 100 ft/lb mark until 2200 rpm. Still night and day from where it was.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?