Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:15 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteF
Just a thought, but why doesn't someone with an M8 simply send a sample of primary fluid to Blackstone Labs and ask them to test for the presence of gear oil if thats what you use in your transmission. They test a lot of stuff for all different types of vehicles and aircraft, so it shoud be a simple enough test for them. If primary fluid comes back positive for whatever your using in your transmssion then that would be prima facia evidence to present to the dealer and MoCo that there's a problem. It might be worth the $30 or so dollars for the test.
Sending a sample to Blackstone Labs to get a report is not the solution. It is fairly common knowledge among builders and riders that the problem does exist.
It CAN be duplicated. The problem is getting the manufacturer (MOCO) to own up to the problem...and fix it on their nickle. My guess is that they knew of the problem far enough in advance to make the change in design on the soon to be released 2018 models. We will have to see whether or not they step up to the plate and assume ownership of the problem with the 2017 bikes. Admitting to having a problem and committing to fix it are two entirely different things.
The MOCO has a long history of not fixing some of their design problems during the initial 24 month factory warranty period. We will have to see how they handle this latest problem of fluid transferring from the transmission to the primary case.
Stay tuned.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:41 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,302 Likes on 3,658 Posts

Originally Posted by fwj
Mine started whining after approx 4T km when shifting from 5th into 4th and 4th into 3rd. Checked the oil level and the dipstick wasn't touching oil anymore. So I drained the gear box and found the remaining oil unusally dirty/dark. Overall amount was 0,5l, so 0,3l less to what it should be.
I filled the gearbox with Castrol 75/140 and the whining was gone. At this time I still thought that the dealer just didn't fill in the corect amount at the first inspection. A thousand kilometers later I could again hear whining, so I checked the oil level again. It needed almost 0,3l to bring it back to the required level. Furthermore I started having clutch issues when cold. The reason will be highly likely the 75/140 in the primary. I very rarely drive above 3.500rpm, so this must also happen at lower rpm's.
The whining noise of the gear box when running on low oil also shows that this problem is anything but harmless, as whining simply means wear of the edges of the toothed gears (hope my english is good enough for everybody to understand).
Personally I find it absolutely inacceptable for Harley to deliver something like this. In the 21st Century there are no secrets about designing proper gear boxes anymore and it is hard to believe, that a company, that had 18years to develop and test a successor engine is making such a basic and fundamental mistake in engine design that any 2nd semester machine design student wouldn't do. I'm dissapointed, really.
Actually I can see where oil movement from tranny to gear box was missed. For instance, during testing they may have dropped all oils to check wear at short intervals.. While everyone seems upset, I'm not.. There will be some sort of easy fix down the road. It's like the rear cam bearings on the early TCs tho hopefully the fix will do a better job of giving confidence to the consumer.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:03 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by fwj
Sorry if my first post is a bit harsh, but I find this issue frustrating. One thing I forgot to mention: if you fill up the gear box with exactly the amount stated in the manual, it will not show any oil on the dipstick when the bike is on the sidestand. So either the amount or the measuring method described in the manual is wrong....

** Die Kapazität ist annähernd. Beim Wechseln des Schmiermittels fügen Sie zunächst 28 Fl oz (0,83 L) hinzu. Nach Bedarf prüfen und füllen.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,449 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobjv
Steve Cole
Are you confident about the 3500 to 4000 rpm range being when the transfer takes place? The reason I ask is that i rarely see those rpms but still managed to lose 12 ounces in 1600 miles.
It is my belief that it will occur at any time. The 3500 number comes from lots of dyno testing to show anything above that and the transfer happens in minutes not hours of riding. When we develop a new engine combination we must run the engine at steady state operation to tune in all the possible running points in the calibration. We know that we can Check/Set fluids and tune from idle to 3500 RPM at all points and have very little transfer. Sometime a little more sometime a little less but not really all that much. As soon as we go to 4000 and above we have a 5 minute limit of run time before we have to stop and check fluids now. Typically, we will find about 14 - 18 oz. transferred at that point. When I go out with the boys on a spirited canyon run with the fluids checked and set when I get back its typically transfer ~ 10 oz. When I do an open highway ride of typically 250 miles I will find ~ 2 oz transferred. So you all can see that while it is an issue how you ride plays a big roll in how much and how soon.

As for a fix, I have my ideas but currently not doing to much as work has to get done first. I have modified one of my bikes and we will see how id does.

The following 9 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
103Eagle (06-06-2017), Gamma742 (06-23-2017), hattitude (06-06-2017), Max Headflow (06-05-2017), mjwebb (06-05-2017), PA1195 (06-05-2017), rockymtman (01-05-2018), Settertude (06-05-2017), StevieRay59 (06-05-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-05-2017, 11:56 AM
fwj
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks BrandonSmith, that explains why 0,83l isn't necessarily enough. The table in the German manual doesn't say "approximate".....

Old 06-05-2017, 01:39 PM
wildeano
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just checked mine, and i will have to add some. A little redline tranny oil showing on end if the stick. 4700 miles

Old 06-05-2017, 02:32 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Originally Posted by fwj
Thanks BrandonSmith, that explains why 0,83l isn't necessarily enough. The table in the German manual doesn't say "approximate".....
Everything is so straightforward and black-and-white in German culture, I didn't even know the word "annähernd" existed!

Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Abrecadabra

Originally Posted by CVO SG
How can you loose tranny fluid unless it's leaking out?
I guess the quick answer would be to buy a new M8 and ride it for ten minutes at 4000-4500 rpms. Then check your fluids.
Actually to say that you "lose it" is incorrect. If you were to look in your primary case you would find it has just been magically transferred over there. Not lost, just moved, so to speak. Kind of like "hocus-pokus-now you see it, now you don't".

Last edited by texaswiz; 06-05-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Well yes, now I understand the loosing fluid part is incorrect. Shoulda said transfering. My question was asked before I, and many others, were aware of this phenomenon

Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 AM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Some discussion on the Tech Forum about a possible source and fix being tested.

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?