Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who's been having to add transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,528 Likes on 4,074 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
I wonder how close Harley is to a fix. I assume they have their engineering team working on this.
Sadly the Harley engineers get a bad rap.... it may well be they hire the cheapest, least experienced engineers available...

OR....

I suspect there are some engineers among the Harley family that routinely go home with their head in their hands....

I believe that most of these issues are caused by the bean counters. The bean counters hold the power in a publicly traded company whose CEO & Board are beholding to share holders (Profit).

I have no doubt there are many tests, designs, & innovations that engineers come up with only to hear... well, we have to skip that, or dumb down that, or change that, and of course the ever popular, "Whoa, that costs too much, find a way to do it cheaper"...... all in the name of profit...

Having said that, HD must realize the financial importance of fixing this problem.... but then again, the bean counters want to make sure that any fix won't cost too much....

The battle continues.....

Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,350 Likes on 3,683 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Sadly the Harley engineers get a bad rap.... it may well be they hire the cheapest, least experienced engineers available...

OR....

I suspect there are some engineers among the Harley family that routinely go home with their head in their hands....

I believe that most of these issues are caused by the bean counters. The bean counters hold the power in a publicly traded company whose CEO & Board are beholding to share holders (Profit).

I have no doubt there are many tests, designs, & innovations that engineers come up with only to hear... well, we have to skip that, or dumb down that, or change that, and of course the ever popular, "Whoa, that costs too much, find a way to do it cheaper"...... all in the name of profit...

Having said that, HD must realize the financial importance of fixing this problem.... but then again, the bean counters want to make sure that any fix won't cost too much....

The battle continues.....

Being a retired engineer, I think the bean counters get a bad rap.. If you want to blame anyone, blame management..

Old 08-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Being a retired engineer, I think the bean counters get a bad rap.. If you want to blame anyone, blame management..
Don't forget the board. Often times the board puts management in an untenable position because of their lack of direction. Either way, there is always plenty of blame to go around.
On the subject of resident engineers, I am not sure that the MOCO has a lot of engineers on the payroll full time. I think they tend to farm out a lot of things in order to keep costs down. Just a guess though.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Don't forget the board.
And don't forget the vendors. It's not like any manufacturer makes every single piece of stuff on a vehicle. They design specs and tolerances and go to vendors for bearings, seals, forks, shocks, electrics, castings, gears etc. You can have the best design in the world, but if you get a crap part from a vendor, that awesome design is useless.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:36 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 944 Posts

You're right. Blaming the accountant in this case is similar to blaming the doctor when you get sick.

The finance team monitors performance and makes suggestions to meet the OWNERS targets. If one wants to lower the performance expectations of the company, simply buy the company and accept a lower return.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like most company's they probably take lowest bid, you get what you pay for except the end user...we just get IT in the end

Old 08-14-2017, 12:52 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

In a few weeks when a new owner lays the whip to one of the 2018's we'll know if they've corrected the transfer problem. If so here's hoping they can backfill earlier production.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

one dealer is promising me a DEAL on a 2017, once the 2018's hit his floor.

just wondering if I can get him to stipulate "free tranny refills for life"

Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
one dealer is promising me a DEAL on a 2017, once the 2018's hit his floor.

just wondering if I can get him to stipulate "free tranny refills for life"

havent refilled my tranny yet. Most of us have not had this particular issue. I feel terrible for those who have. So, no tranny refill for me. I bought the bike, you know the only mistake I have made so far? I took it for a ride.......

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 02:22 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Being a CURRENT engineer, I'll second that!

Quick Reply: who's been having to add transmission fluid?