Sponsored by:

They Found This in My Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:28 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,136 Likes on 3,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
sad.. if it weren't for their lack of QC these bikes would be bullet proof themselves! have you noticed that mostly all of the problems reported to date were the result of poor QC and not by design?
Yep.. its happening all over. Because we cant find capable people to set up and run CNC machines at my place we started having more and more components made in China. The quality is incredibly good. From sticking to tolerances , good anodizing, consistency across thousands of pieces. Its really sad.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
And some say I'm nut's to think Yamaha's newest touring bike could take a few sales from Harley. History has shown they have bullit proof motors, on and on.
Except for when they released the new R1, and had to issue a stop sale/stop ride recall because second gear could shatter, causing the rear wheel to lock up at speed without warning. And then people had to wait months for the parts to be shipped to the dealers, and the dealers were cracking into brand new bikes to replace the transmissions (or maybe just the gear, can't recall for sure).

But yeah, "bulletproof"

Old 06-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,970 Likes on 18,638 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Yep.. its happening all over. Because we cant find capable people to set up and run CNC machines at my place we started having more and more components made in China. The quality is incredibly good. From sticking to tolerances , good anodizing, consistency across thousands of pieces. Its really sad.
Did this just take a Left Turn ?

Old 06-27-2017, 11:46 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,339 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
There is a lot of crap that comes out of china but if you can define the product quality you want from them, they can be every bit as good as the US stuff.. People like to say what they build is crap but it's the importer / contract defines the quality.. Who do you think is making the money, the Chinese factory or the importer of the crappy stuff?

Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Did this just take a Left Turn ?
If talking about QC and how its effecting things is making a left after talking about QC.Then yes?

The following users liked this post:
sectime (07-11-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

I had a HD in the 80's that ate every battery that went into it. After the 6th battery and a bunch of lame excuses from the dealer about a 'bad batch of batteries" I got tired of f-ing around and took the bike back to the dealer, 'requested' an even trade for a working bike, and rode out an hour later on an Electra Glide. That was a good decision...ain't got time to F around with stuff that doesn't work.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
There is a lot of crap that comes out of china but if you can define the product quality you want from them, they can be every bit as good as the US stuff.. People like to say what they build is crap but it's the importer / contract defines the quality.. Who do you think is making the money, the Chinese factory or the importer of the crappy stuff?
I'm not answering that for fear of making a right turn now

Uncle Larry (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 12:45 PM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Drodrigueznyc
sad.. if it weren't for their lack of QC these bikes would be bullet proof themselves! have you noticed that mostly all of the problems reported to date were the result of poor QC and not by design?
YES it is.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Damn StevieRay that sucks.

Do you know for sure if that was a screw from the cam positioner?

Looking at it you're kinda lucky you got to fuel moto! I've seen oil pumps seize up from FOD that was smaller than that.

Was there any scoring on the inside of the pump?

stixvrad (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 02:51 PM
StevieRay59
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rjjj629
Damn StevieRay that sucks.

Do you know for sure if that was a screw from the cam positioner?

Looking at it you're kinda lucky you got to fuel moto! I've seen oil pumps seize up from FOD that was smaller than that.

Was there any scoring on the inside of the pump?
It's the oil jet retaining screw one of 4 in our M8's. Found these metal shavings in my oil filter magnet. DK reusable oil filter
works good.

Attached Thumbnails They Found This in My Oil Pump-img_0547.jpg   They Found This in My Oil Pump-img_0548.jpg  

Last edited by StevieRay59; 07-01-2017 at 02:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by StevieRay59:
rjjj629 (06-27-2017), Steve Helton (06-28-2017), stixvrad (06-27-2017)

Quick Reply: They Found This in My Oil Pump