Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They Found This in My Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

[QUOTE=stixvrad;16379036]Yep.. its happening all over. Because we cant find capable people to set up and run CNC machines at my place we started having more and more components made in China. QUOTE]

Your company likely cannot find those folks because they want them to work for $9.50/hour with no benefits......In the industry that I retired from, Autobody Repair, the techs were, in 2000, making $16.50 per flat rate hour. In 2015, when I retired, and after the big corporations started buying up all of the body shops, techs were making $16.50 per flat rate hour. These same techs had to supply their own tools, well north of $20,000 of their own money......And the skill level that the techs had to have was increasing every year.........

YMMV

Lon

The following 3 users liked this post by Teufelhunden:
prowler58 (07-23-2017), Sparky357 (06-28-2017), Volkspanzer (09-24-2023)
Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 AM
FM500
Road Master
Received 3,559 Likes on 626 Posts

Since they (MoCo) talk so often about quality, they lost the quality.

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
(Henry Ford)

Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You may not be able to get another engine due to the fact you had the engine opened up for aftermarket performance products. That's most likely going to void any warranty on the replacement engine you now have. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I worked at four different new dealer motorcycle shops and there is no way we would have replaced an engine through the manufacturer's warranty once the customer hired a non-authorized shop to install aftermarket performance parts.

It's always a good idea to keep a bike stock, or install only factory authorized performance parts if you want to maintain the warranty status during the warranty period.
Maybe he wasn't getting aftermarket performance parts but instead he heard a funny noise in his timing chain area and wanted someone to look into it.....never had aftermarket parts installed?

you guys have me kind of worried now about a possible engine killer in my cam chest. i wish i had done some research on M8's before i bought mine. My 2010 Ultra Classic ran like a dream. Now I will always be thinking about that oil pump every time I ride my new bike. If I do have a bad oil pump/issue with the oil pump, will it show up early in the life of my bike? Has there been any failure with oil pumps when the bikes start piling up miles? All of these are valid questions. Knowing my luck, the warranty runs out and boom, i loose my oil pump. I guess from now on I will be sure to do everything maintenance related at the dealership so I have good records of complying with all of the MOCO maintenance intervals. Which we should be doing anyway....but i like to do my own oil changes. Not even sure I can use Mobil One in my engine.....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-17-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,822 Likes on 4,563 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
you guys have me kind of worried now about a possible engine killer in my cam chest. i wish i had done some research on M8's before i bought mine. My 2010 Ultra Classic ran like a dream. Now I will always be thinking about that oil pump every time I ride my new bike. If I do have a bad oil pump/issue with the oil pump, will it show up early in the life of my bike? Has there been any failure with oil pumps when the bikes start piling up miles? All of these are valid questions. Knowing my luck, the warranty runs out and boom, i loose my oil pump. I guess from now on I will be sure to do everything maintenance related at the dealership so I have good records of complying with all of the MOCO maintenance intervals. Which we should be doing anyway....but i like to do my own oil changes. Not even sure I can use Mobil One in my engine.....
"you guys have me kind of worried now about a possible engine killer in my cam chest. "
"Now I will always be thinking about that oil pump every time I ride my new bike."
"Knowing my luck, the warranty runs out and boom, i loose my oil pump."
"Not even sure I can use Mobil One in my engine"

man don't be such a worry wart...these are the exception not the rule..enjoy your bike and cross those bridges if and when they ever materialize..maintain your bike, buy the ESP if it'll help you sleep better and go have some fun on it!!!!!

Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
you guys have me kind of worried now about a possible engine killer in my cam chest.

Knowing my luck, the warranty runs out and boom, i loose my oil pump. I guess from now on I will be sure to do everything maintenance related at the dealership so I have good records of complying with all of the MOCO maintenance intervals. Which we should be doing anyway....but i like to do my own oil changes. Not even sure I can use Mobil One in my engine.....
You are worrying too much! Do the sched maint, but you don't have to have a dealer do it, just keep up the log book in your owners manual when you do the maint and your warranty will not be effected. By law you do not have to have the dealer do the maint. People forget, we come to a forum, we all read about the people who have an issue. Some isolated, some seem to be more symptomatic like the oil pump, but for every one that reports a issue, how many don't have an issue? How many guys don't even post on forums? There are literally 10's of thousands of M8's out there in the US and other countries and I would bet the majority of people are riding a trouble free bike, I am one of them.

I have a Victory as well and they are now defunct, but I still ride it and figure if I have an issue I will deal with it then. I had a 2007 FORD F-150 FX2 that gave me 80,000 trouble free miles. 2 months after the factory warranty ran out, I had a major drive shaft failure. I had to pay for it. Sucked but it happens. Just ride your bike and enjoy it.

All I have done is stage 1 and am happy with my M8. If I ever have a engine issue, I'll take it to the dealer and see what happens, but until then, as long as it starts and runs, I will ride it. Atleast I know when I am on the road, I have a dealer network I can reach out to. I can't say that for my other bike.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

The OP rode the bike to Fuel Moto to replace the cam. It sounded like Fuel Moto found it by accident.
I would have thought that engine would have been hammering like a trip hammer before he shut it off.
Bizarre story to say the least. New bike and on it's 3rd engine. What are the odds for that happening?
It will be interesting to see how the MOCO responds to this latest problem. At the very least I would think that they send a factory rep out to take a look at that engine before the mechanic disassembles it. Maybe they just tell the dealer to ship it back for disassembly rather than tear it apart in the field. Never had that happen to me before. Whatever happens, the OP is stuck away from home with a blown bike. Not a good place to be for sure.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Peak Seaker
Road Master
Received 928 Likes on 387 Posts

Stevie, That sucks! Similar thing (kinda) happened to me recently while I was 700 miles from home. In a nut shell my bike lost about 50% power, luckily I was only 10 miles from a dealer. They figured out my bike was sumping (cases had about 2 quarts of oil in them) Got on the phone with HD tech and they immediately told them to tear off complete top end and check the torque on the spray jet screws, which I have figured out by now is a known issue to HD in the earlier built motors. Sure enough they were loose! Harley has a new torque spec on them now. If you have an earlier build M8 I would be asking questions about this issue. After repair it was still sumping just not as much. Now HD had them tear into the cam chest to check oil pump, which was fine. In the two weeks it was stuck at dealer, HD figured out another problem they are having with the big inch kits (mine has the 114 kit in it) . The stock oil pump orifice tube hole diameter is too large and will not evacuate the cases fast enough when you are pounding on the bike pretty hard, which I was when this occurred (racing two Indians).
HD has a fix for this now and they replaced my oil pump with a smaller orifice tube to increase the velocity at which the oil is evacuated out of the cases. Rode it home 700 miles and it ran fine. Clearly HD is working some ***** out and we are the guinea pigs. Hope they take care of you!

PS - I smoked the two Indians!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 AM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Maintenance is not the same as opening an engine to do performance mods when it comes to warranty work. Like I said, I worked as a mechanic and Service Manager at four different new motorcycle shops, if we had a bike brought into us as the OP describes, it would have to go through the factory rep for warranty because it had been worked on by a non-authorized entity. A lot will depend on how it's presented to the factory rep, it can go either way, however I certainly wouldn't tell them new cams were being installed.

Trying to threaten legal action against them is silly as well. They have better lawyers and more money to litigate than most their customers. It costs $ 10K to mount the first round of a civil lawsuit alone. That's not the way to proceed.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Firebolter
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Peak Seaker

PS - I smoked the two Indians!
That's not saying much!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Peak Seaker
Road Master
Received 928 Likes on 387 Posts
Default Firebolter