Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out with speccing and buying a Street Glide....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Default Help me out with speccing and buying a Street Glide....

First a bit of background - so sorry for the long post.

I currently have two HDs - a 2014 Dyna Fat Bob and a 1980 Wide Glide (Shovelhead) that I am rebuilding and is near completion.

I love my Fat Bob - it has been a great bike for me and has taken me all over Europe including a 10 day tour of all the high mountain passes that I just got back from yesterday. Fitted out with a set of bags it carries me effortlessly wherever I want. It handles great and looks cool.

(Bags were left at the hotel in this pic)

But with the Shovel nearing completion, I will have two naked bikes, barhoppers, call them whatever.

Coming back from the Alps over the last couple of days I have been thinking that I actually want a proper Touring bike as I will be doing more of these long runs in the future and want the protection from the elements that a proper fairing offers. Riding 300+ mile days on the Bob in strong wind and heavy rain can get a bit hairy and the riding position is not really set up for ultimate comfort.

I had been thinking of trading the Fat Bob for a Road King Special, and test rode one with the M8 motor. I liked the bike a lot, but thought the engine was too quiet and didn't really like the clutch. Pipes should sort the motor sound and the clutch thing would be just getting used to it.

So I am sold on the M8 motor. In particular that it finally has 4 valves and should breathe a lot better than the Twin Cam.

On my Fat Bob, I have done Stage 1, cams, had the heads ported etc.... the bike has about 100 hp and over 100 tq. It hustles along well and gets there quickly. The M8 I rode didn't feel quite as quick as the Bob, but that may be because it's just a heavier bike and also feels smoother than the Bob.

Now to the real point....... I want a Street Glide. A friend on this trip had a 2017 CVO Street Glide and it's a wonderful bike - but a little too spendy for me and I don't really want all the chrome bits.

So if YOU were in the market today for a new Street Glide, how would you spec the bike? I want to know about Stage options, cam choices, big bore options etc... also any non-performance related options that you would recommend

Or you would you just buy a stock bike and ride it "as is". Bear in mind I love tinkering with bikes and am happy doing almost all work myself.

I'd like to say "money is no object". But that's not the case. A new Glide is a big purchase so what are the best bang for the buck upgrades to get the most enjoyment out of the bike.

I plan to wait until the 2018 model year bikes are announced in the next few weeks in case there are any major changes. If not, then I will probably have the option of a discounted 2017 bike or a new 2018 model.

Anyway - what would you do? Thanks in advance for all input.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:04 AM
Dennis Lett
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say ride them and see what you like best. Limiteds have water cooled heads, big plus. I'd ride it stock, but that's just me. If down the road you wanted more, cam it and see where you're at. Pipes and AC are always a good upgrade, but not as easy nowadays, with having to flash the ECM to maximize performance.

At the end of the day, it's your money. Buy and ride what you like.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:36 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

I'd recommend just getting the SE Stage 1 right off the bat..minimal expense to let it breathe, sound and perform better while keeping warranty intact..good luck and a pre-emptive congrats!

Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 AM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

I got a base model right off the floor and couldn't be happier. I don't need to be "special" like others.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:58 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by jgos929
I got a base model right off the floor and couldn't be happier. I don't need to be "special" like others.
in this day and age with more traffic, texting drivers, etc, don't know why anyone would forego the Reflex Linked ABS option, just saying'..being "special" like others to take safety serious is a smart thing

Old 07-31-2017, 07:22 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Lett
I would say ride them and see what you like best. Limiteds have water cooled heads, big plus. I'd ride it stock, but that's just me. If down the road you wanted more, cam it and see where you're at. Pipes and AC are always a good upgrade, but not as easy nowadays, with having to flash the ECM to maximize performance.

At the end of the day, it's your money. Buy and ride what you like.
;-) I will buy and ride for sure!

But it's always good to have a plan for upgrades. For example, if I was going to go Stage V, it might be better to have the dealer do this on day and keep the factory warranty. Don't know if I will do this though - and if I do it would be a decision to be made between HD and aftermarket, so I want to know the pros and cons of each.

As for Stage 1, I already have a PowerVision from Fuel Moto that I can hopefully relicense for a new bike. So a good tune from Jamie and an uprated AC and pipes might also make sense. So what are folks running - and are they happy with the results?

As for a cam, it looks easier to do an M8 cam than my Twin Cam was. And that was easy enough, so I want to know what cams people are running as well.

Part of the joy of a new bike is the fun of researching all the possibilities and as the M8 is new I want to learn as much as possible.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:43 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Definitely go for the Special instead of the base SG.

The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (08-01-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:52 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GTK
Definitely go for the Special instead of the base SG.
Yep - already decided on that. It doesn't appear you can even buy a non-Special model here in the UK....

Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I started out with the stage 1 at purchase. It was good, but something was missing. Went stage II (TQ cam) with FM catless header and rode for about a month with the Street Cannon's. Ultimately decided I did not like the Cannon's and went with 4.5 Rineharts with a PowerVision tune. And I can tell you with confidence - I could not be happier with the results.

There is a link in my sig if you want to hear idle with a couple of revs.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:10 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Guys, Will Harley void warranty in other countries, or just in the good ole USA? Maybe, he can do whatever he wants with the bike.

Quick Reply: Help me out with speccing and buying a Street Glide....