Sponsored by:

A.B.S or DIE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:14 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,259 Likes on 3,629 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
In 3 1/2 months, I have put on over 4k miles on my bike. I ride fast, but carefully and try to anticipate "dumb driver" situations; I have yet to see my ABS activate and, as far as I know, the linking has not affected my ride (I brake as if they are not linked).

That said: some things (like a dear jumping into you path from the woods when you are doing more than 35) can't be anticipated. I am glad to know ABS and linking are there! I hope I never need them.

In cars, it is difficult to gauge whether seatbelts/airbags have saved more lives than ABS; ABS has definitely saved more fenders!

It's good to brake to the point where ABS engages occasionally.. The valves need cycling.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sticks24
It doesn't rain there?
Occasionally..

Old 09-28-2017, 09:35 AM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,227 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It's good to brake to the point where ABS engages occasionally.. The valves need cycling.
Should be easy to do with the back, I'm not so sure I want to try the front.

After building a tree house when I was 10, I learned a life lesson: Never test anything unless you are prepared for the test to fail.

Last edited by hairymoth; 09-28-2017 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Eccool (10-04-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

Sure ABS is advantageous, but there's something to be said for having complete control over your sled.

The following 2 users liked this post by Honey-Badger:
Eccool (10-04-2017), NSR (10-04-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 380 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Honey-Badger
Sure ABS is advantageous, but there's something to be said for having complete control over your sled.
You do realize the ABS helps you to have better control over your sled.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

Edit: Well, yes and no...

That's a negative Ghost Rider, I am known to fancy a drift and/or a controlled skid on occasion. LMAO, fancy. Sorry. Carry on.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:51 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

That is one opinion. Technically being able to lock your brakes at will is one aspect of complete control that ABS removes from the rider. And harley ABS tends to remove 50-100% of braking control from the rider "when" it fails... So there is that to consider as well....

The following 2 users liked this post by skid_pimp:
jgos929 (09-28-2017), NSR (10-04-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 09:56 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

I have ABS on my Road King. I am glad it's there from a safety standpoint but I don't look at it as a feature that means I am invincible. The only drawback to ABS in terms of safety standpoint is that it might give some people a false sense of security. Try grabbing a handful on sand, water, or ice, and you're still probably going down or off the side of the road when the bike doesn't stop in the required distance due to the ABS cycling. ABS isn't a license to not pay attention to road conditions. Still need to give yourself room and an out.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:13 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,172 Likes on 3,523 Posts

My ABS was put to use on two occasions this week. First one was rounding a bend @ 50 MPH to a Doe standing in the road. Hit 'em hard, nice controlled stop. Last night I was on the interstate @ around 70 MPH, and I could see brake lights coming on 1/4 mile ahead. I'm suddenly sprayed with a light mist of gasoline, and before the "WTF" moment showed itself, I rolled through a large pool of gasoline spilled from a can laying in the middle of the road. This would not have been a huge deal, but everybody hit the binders hard because a cop was on the shoulder assisting an unfortunate motorist that hit said can. Again, had to brake hard. ABS does its thing, but remember I have gas on my tires. I can guarantee that without ABS I would have taken a slide. It held straight and true. I'm a believer.

The "linked reflex" braking leaves a little to be desired. I don't care for that much, but the ABS is awesome.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hairymoth
Should be easy to do with the back, I'm not so sure I want to try the front.

After building a tree house when I was 10, I learned a life lesson: Never test anything unless you are prepared for the test to fail.
I take it you've never locked up the front wheel before.. With the bike upright and well balanced on good flat road, it's not hard to do safely for short periods say 1/2 second.. It's way better to test validate than use the actual situation where ABS is needed and have them fail..

FWIW it's good practice to develop panic stop braking skills and learn the limits of traction under controlled conditions. Knowing what the bike will do, is much better than relying on ABS.

Ricky Carmichael once stated in an interview that he could look at any dirt surface and know exactly how much traction was available to him for being the fastest on the track.. While this was primarily along the the lines of racing, the street riders should always be looking at surface conditions and understand the traction that is available simply for their safety.

Quick Reply: A.B.S or DIE!