Sponsored by:

The Fix Is In!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 03:27 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Screaming Eagle Drip Drain system..IV Bag to auto fill trans and Overflow Valve into separate reservoir for Primary..at this point that's probably as good a permanent solution as they have in mind

I heard the fix is to replace the dip stick with a candle wick, then it will pull the fluid up and always show full.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 06:12 PM
sporty1234
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Better idea than Harley had come up with!😂

Old 06-09-2018, 01:34 PM
rhagerbaumer
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I better start posting like so I can get up to 25 posts! I'm in the adjust levels and ride 1000 mile stall phase of this process.

Tech Services Open Ref #...
Transmission was low at 24 oz
Primary was high at 40 oz
Adjusted to 30 oz in both the tranny and the primary. Come back in 1,000 miles and check levels again.

Also replaced the Switch Pack, hand control - bike would not start in gear.

Talked to my sales guy yesterday - he had never ever heard of such a thing as an oil transfer problem. LOL.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:23 PM
RFC1962
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So what oils did you use to fix the level feel? Does it fix the issue with twin cams also?
I run Royal Purple gear lube in the tranny. Amsoil primary oil and 20w50 in the crankcase.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:43 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by rhagerbaumer
I guess I better start posting like so I can get up to 25 posts! I'm in the adjust levels and ride 1000 mile stall phase of this process.

Tech Services Open Ref #...
Transmission was low at 24 oz
Primary was high at 40 oz
Adjusted to 30 oz in both the tranny and the primary. Come back in 1,000 miles and check levels again.

Also replaced the Switch Pack, hand control - bike would not start in gear.

Talked to my sales guy yesterday - he had never ever heard of such a thing as an oil transfer problem. LOL.
THIS^^^^

My "IDIOT" service writer told me that it's "physically impossible to transfer oil from the trans to the primary".
I asked him; "then where is it going?"

Gave me the 'ol deer in the headlights look........................

Last edited by not a sock; 06-09-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:07 PM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"My "IDIOT" service writer told me that it's "physically impossible to transfer oil from the trans to the primary".
I asked him; "then where is it going?" Gave me the 'ol deer in the headlights look "

My Service Mgr told me to do the transmission oil level checks when the oil was hot, like when returning from a ride. I looked at him like a deer caught in the headlights but did not say anything. I went home and read both my 2017 owners manual and my 2015 service manual for transmission oil level checks. One said check at "room temperature" and the other said "ambient temperature". This was the first time I actually caught him in a lie and I am disappointed. I thought he was a straight shooter based on previous discussions I've had with him over the years.
regards,

Old 06-09-2018, 04:21 PM
rhagerbaumer
Intermediate
Default Current plan.

My current plan is to have them monitor it and get the oil deflector installed. Then install $toneColds kit and pretend the deflector works. If they come up with a different solution or I need Warranty work done can put it back except for the drilled hole in the actuator. Doable?

Old 06-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,339 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Originally Posted by RCS
"My "IDIOT" service writer told me that it's "physically impossible to transfer oil from the trans to the primary".
I asked him; "then where is it going?" Gave me the 'ol deer in the headlights look "

My Service Mgr told me to do the transmission oil level checks when the oil was hot, like when returning from a ride. I looked at him like a deer caught in the headlights but did not say anything. I went home and read both my 2017 owners manual and my 2015 service manual for transmission oil level checks. One said check at "room temperature" and the other said "ambient temperature". This was the first time I actually caught him in a lie and I am disappointed. I thought he was a straight shooter based on previous discussions I've had with him over the years.
regards,
Why was he lying?? Maybe he wanted them checked hot?

Old 06-09-2018, 05:46 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by rhagerbaumer
My current plan is to have them monitor it and get the oil deflector installed. Then install $toneColds kit and pretend the deflector works. If they come up with a different solution or I need Warranty work done can put it back except for the drilled hole in the actuator. Doable?
I’m getting ready to test a small hole drilled in the metal part of the seal for venting. If it works that will be how we vent going forward. That way should the seal be compromised there won’t be any leakage.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:32 PM
rhagerbaumer
Intermediate
Default bumping post count! :)

Originally Posted by $tonecold

I’m getting ready to test a small hole drilled in the metal part of the seal for venting. If it works that will be how we vent going forward. That way should the seal be compromised there won’t be any leakage.
That would be great!! I hope it works. Then we could de-mod the bike if needed (like for a new transmission!)

I'm curious if there is more information on why this is happening. I've read the speculation that maybe the primary is drawing a vacuum and sucking the transmission lubricant in. Or maybe there is a pumping action that is pulling it in? Venturi effect? I sort of doubt it's a gravity drain - but liquids do seek the lowest spot they can get to so it's possible.

I agree with the comments that this is not normal. Not sure what moco is thinking saying that - although it sounds like different people are saying different things and some may be going off script.

Quick Reply: The Fix Is In!!!