Sponsored by:

The Fix Is In!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:02 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,777 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by rhagerbaumer
That would be great!! I hope it works. Then we could de-mod the bike if needed (like for a new transmission!)

I'm curious if there is more information on why this is happening. I've read the speculation that maybe the primary is drawing a vacuum and sucking the transmission lubricant in. Or maybe there is a pumping action that is pulling it in? Venturi effect? I sort of doubt it's a gravity drain - but liquids do seek the lowest spot they can get to so it's possible.

I agree with the comments that this is not normal. Not sure what moco is thinking saying that - although it sounds like different people are saying different things and some may be going off script.
Well it has been brought to my attention that not everyone is capable of drilling the hole through the actuator correctly. If this works I will be able to drill the hole in the seal before I send the kits out. It should also make the installation a little simpler. I am really curious how crewchief25 is doing on his testing of the ‘14 CVO pushrod. If that works or at least slows the transfer I have an idea that might make it a complete solution. The seal and nut absolutely works, but if there’s a simpler solution that is easier to install I’m all for it.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:13 PM
RCS
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Why was he lying?? Maybe he wanted them checked hot?
He said hot is how it is checked. My owner's manual and service manual says otherwise. So, I'll ask other forum member what is the right/correct way to check transmission oil levels...by the book(s) issued by Mother Harley or by my Service Mgr's word?

regards,

Old 06-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,451 Likes on 3,744 Posts

Originally Posted by RCS
He said hot is how it is checked. My owner's manual and service manual says otherwise. So, I'll ask other forum member what is the right/correct way to check transmission oil levels...by the book(s) issued by Mother Harley or by my Service Mgr's word?

regards,
Like I said, did he outright lie or is that how he wanted it checked? As far as SM/owners manual goes they both say to use Syn3 in the tranny.. SM says to torque 1/4-20 screws up to 144 inch-lbs.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:33 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,777 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by RCS
"My "IDIOT" service writer told me that it's "physically impossible to transfer oil from the trans to the primary".
I asked him; "then where is it going?" Gave me the 'ol deer in the headlights look "

My Service Mgr told me to do the transmission oil level checks when the oil was hot, like when returning from a ride. I looked at him like a deer caught in the headlights but did not say anything. I went home and read both my 2017 owners manual and my 2015 service manual for transmission oil level checks. One said check at "room temperature" and the other said "ambient temperature". This was the first time I actually caught him in a lie and I am disappointed. I thought he was a straight shooter based on previous discussions I've had with him over the years.
regards,
Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Why was he lying?? Maybe he wanted them checked hot?
It’s also possible that he just isn’t aware of the correct method of checking transmission oil or maybe he is confusing it with checking motor oil. I’ve had a service writer tell me to check the transmission with the bike upright and the owners manual and the shop manuals back to ‘09 say check it on the side stand. I think five speed transmissions had to be checked upright, but I’m not certain of that. Back then transmission oil was the one thing I didn’t check much. On the six speed it doesn’t make much difference, but the manuals do say side stand or actually jiffy stand. I don’t think that service writer lied to me, I just think he didn’t know what the recommended procedure was.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 10:47 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,127 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
It’s also possible that he just isn’t aware of the correct method of checking transmission oil or maybe he is confusing it with checking motor oil. I’ve had a service writer tell me to check the transmission with the bike upright and the owners manual and the shop manuals back to ‘09 say check it on the side stand. I think five speed transmissions had to be checked upright, but I’m not certain of that. Back then transmission oil was the one thing I didn’t check much. On the six speed it doesn’t make much difference, but the manuals do say side stand or actually jiffy stand. I don’t think that service writer lied to me, I just think he didn’t know what the recommended procedure was.
You are correct sir...... Tranny Fluid hot and bike upright.

Moco brings all this confusion on themselves by changing the rules.........

Old 06-10-2018, 07:03 AM
sporty1234
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope it works!!!

Old 06-10-2018, 08:23 PM
rhagerbaumer
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thought is the service guys probably never get a bike at ambient temperature. Maybe they have different rules for bikes in the shop level on the stand and still warm from being brought in? Just a thought. Adding to the post count. See how good I am? LOL.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 PM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,127 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by rhagerbaumer
Another thought is the service guys probably never get a bike at ambient temperature. Maybe they have different rules for bikes in the shop level on the stand and still warm from being brought in? Just a thought. Adding to the post count. See how good I am? LOL.
It's possa-bull.....it's possa-bull...........

(Bonus points for anyone who can remember the cartoon that saying came from, lol!)

Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 AM
sporty1234
Advanced

Musky muskrat on Deputy Dawg said its possa bull.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 AM
sporty1234
Advanced

Went back to my dealer Saturday about tranny leak was told MOCO has another fix coming out but no details about it. So who knows

Quick Reply: The Fix Is In!!!