Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to have an intelligent discussion about the M8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:13 PM
HDAngell
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FP3 not any chance

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
If Worth HD said that using an FP3 won't void your warranty, then Worth HD is an incompetent dealership. It is absolutely 100% guaranteed that using an FP3 to tune your bike will absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt, result in immediate voiding of your bike's powertrain warranty. That WILL happen. The dealership doesn't get a say in it, and Harley doesn't get a say either, they're bound by federal courts to immediately void warranty on any bike that they have any knowledge has been tuned by a non-EPA-compliant tuner.

Psyshack said the same thing -- ask him how he knows. If I'm not mistaken, he had his powertrain warranty voided by Harley for using an FP3.

If you care about your warranty, do not use any aftermarket tuner at all, every one of them on the market will result in immediate powertrain voiding.

Understand that even if they put a line in the paperwork saying that it won't void the warranty, that's meaningless. Harley dealers have zero influence over what does and doesn't void the warranty. Read the warranty, it says so right in it -- dealers cannot modify it. And Harley has no say either -- the EPA Consent Decree binds them to being forced to void the warranty for use by any aftermarket tuner (since no aftermarket tuner provides EPA-compliant tunes on Milwaukee-8 engines). If they say they'll put something in the paperwork to protect you, it would have to be something along the lines of "Worth HD guarantees that customer will receive the full benefit of the manufacturer's 2-year warranty, even if it means Worth HD has to pay for all repairs that would have been covered by warranty." And then get the General Manager to sign it. I think when you try that, you'll find they change their tune very much, and ditch the FP3 and recommend the Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner, which is the only tuner you can use that won't void your warranty.
NO FP3 then for me. The last thing I need with my cruiser riding all over the country is an issue with my warranty. As I gather more info this is just one thing more to add to the pile of knowledge I am accumulating. Thank you for the feedback...

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:19 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by HDAngell
NO FP3 then for me. The last thing I need with my cruiser riding all over the country is an issue with my warranty. As I gather more info this is just one thing more to add to the pile of knowledge I am accumulating. Thank you for the feedback...
that's where I'm at, been at, risk / reward ain't there for me..these engines just don't run so bad that they need mucking with like that anymore imo

Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Each to their own. I just feel warm and fuzzy getting rid of the cat, having a high flow filter, decent slip ons and a tuner that goes beyond EPA. Many many vehicles in my time and I’ve never needed a warranty repair. Not mad at anyone that feels keeping their warranty alive is important lol.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:29 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

I noticed that just the small change of a Stage 1 that the motor was way happier, less throttle gets more response so yea it's all good all the time.