Sponsored by:

Fan assisted oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Nismogsxr
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fan assisted oil cooler question

I purchased one of the oil cooler fan kits this week from Boardtracker HD for riding in the summer heat here in NC. Quick question for those who have done theirs themselves. This might be a really stupid question too so don't laugh too hard lol. I am going to remove the clamps at the at the OEM cooler and reuse the oem lines since they are exactly the same as the new ones on the cooling fan. After I put the hose/clamp one the bottom side of the cooler, do I need to fill the cooler up with oil before puting the top line onto the cooler? Or just let the oil pump fill it up when I start the bike? Also anyone have any tips/tricks or know of anything special you need to do while installing the fan?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:35 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

Just let the oil pump fill it next time you crank up the bike. It’s more of a mess than it’s worth to try to fill the cooler before putting the top hose on. Your oil level may drop very slightly but not enough to hurt anything at all. Just go for a ride and check the level when you get back. Top off if needed.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Psycho Dave
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you get your computer flashed to run the fan? I wouldn't bother filling it with oil, it will take care of itself.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:43 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Hoses take set over time, often prone to leaks when removed and reinstalled. You will need to have your dealer turn the fan function on. No need to fill the cooler. The fan is a nice addition.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Nismogsxr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Psycho Dave
Did you get your computer flashed to run the fan? I wouldn't bother filling it with oil, it will take care of itself.
I am hoping it comes in before Friday morning when I go to get my 5K service done. If it does, I am going to put in on before the service and get them to flash the ECM while its there.
I don't know/don't think they will flash it without the fan being on there in case it comes in after the service.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:07 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You could have just bought the fan/shroud assembly. That way you wouldn't need to mess with the oil lines at all. I actually just did this earlier today, granted I still need to have the ECM flashed.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:18 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcraig
You could have just bought the fan/shroud assembly. That way you wouldn't need to mess with the oil lines at all. I actually just did this earlier today, granted I still need to have the ECM flashed.
what would that part number be?

Old 06-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Nismogsxr
Advanced

I am pretty sure he is referring to #26800095. Only reason I didn't go that route is because I heard of someone having to cut tabs off oem cooler with a dremel. Also part number for oem cooler and the one one in the kit are 2 different numbers so to me that means they are different

Old 06-09-2018, 09:24 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Installed mine when I did the 15K service. No need to fill the cooler. I also reused the right side oem hose but changed the left side. I aiiached it to the cooler before I mounted it. Made it a little easier.

When I picked up the part I asked the service writer to flash the ecm. He said it couldn't be done until the new cooler was installed.. Said the ecm needs to "see it". I call bs the connector is only power and ground. Since they did it for free I didn't argue with him.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:43 PM
bigcraig
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismogsxr
I am pretty sure he is referring to #26800095. Only reason I didn't go that route is because I heard of someone having to cut tabs off oem cooler with a dremel. Also part number for oem cooler and the one one in the kit are 2 different numbers so to me that means they are different
Nothing to cut, literally remove the old "fan shroud that has no fan on it" and put the new "fan shroud that actually has a fan on it" and plug it in. Then go have the bike flashed.

Quick Reply: Fan assisted oil cooler question