Sponsored by:

Air filter question I cannot get answered

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 06:40 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Air filter question I cannot get answered

Just curious about this. Have asked before with no reply. I get the normal few drops of oil on the air filter media from the breather vents. Will those pleats with oil on them still flow air or not? Or is it the same as those pleats being stopped up?

Old 07-01-2018, 07:08 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
Just curious about this. Have asked before with no reply. I get the normal few drops of oil on the air filter media from the breather vents. Will those pleats with oil on them still flow air or not? Or is it the same as those pleats being stopped up?
common sense tells me the oil saturated portion of the AF will prohibit air flow...with their design history and understanding of this I'm sure they take this into account and design the total AC to allow enough air to the TB to operate effectively...and oil ends up on the bottom of the AF much more so than the forward facing or top portion where the air is force fed in and swirls around the AC cover into the TB...bottom line (imo) is if it's not getting enough air one would notice a change in running condition/behavior...we've used about every type of Harley AC they make over many bikes and years and every one of them is stained from oil on the bottom and never noticed a change in how they ran..I'm OCD on AF maintenance though from my years of racing mx and cleaned our filters constantly, so never let ours get too filthy before swapping in a spare fresh clean one as PM instead of waiting to notice the change in running

Old 07-01-2018, 07:15 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

I know its a different filter and special oil but I've just finished oiling the heavy breather filter on my FXSB so I'm gonna guess you're OK.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:05 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

No they will not flow air if they are completely soaked and saturated. Air will take the path of least resistance.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:13 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Few drops is nothing to even think about....since the breathers were mandated to recycle into intake by the wonderful jerkoffs at EPA. But I think it's a good idea to service air filter ever oil change. OR... I vent my personal ones to a small tube in my exhaust ....not something I have ever shared before lmao. But it has worked for me in many application in racing and street performance. I'll probably put a one way valve on it eventually like I do with race motors

Old 07-01-2018, 10:25 AM
AIR_RAM
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

From my experience with cars and reusable oiled air filters. Typically a freshly cleaned and oiled filter will cause a loss in performance, we actually did a test at the track to verify and saw 2 tenths loss on the 1320 after using a freshly cleaned and lightly oiled filter. And an intentionally over oiled filter lost 3-4 tenths...(That's almost a half second ) After about a week of driving after the cleaning the performance returned. Needless to say, I always cleaned and oiled my filter a week before track day.

The trick is NOT to attempt to return the filter to the same color it was when new. You just want to clean it good flowing water from the inside out and use a toothbrush if needed to lightly scrub. Rinse the cleaner from the filter real good and let the filter dry completely before reapplying the filter oil. And again, you just need a little bit... it will soak and fill in the areas you don't hit completely...

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 07-01-2018 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Does not affect it a bit. The air will flow right around it as it bounces it's way thru the medium. In fact, it will filter better.
Honda OEM car air filters come damp with oil to filter better.

Pull the filter housing and with a light, look in the throttle body at the butterfly opening. It's pretty small and now look at all that filter medium. The only time it can affect it is it gets so stopped up, it can no longer flow to fill a cylinder as atmospheric enters to fill the vacuum created by the piston going down.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:57 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Couple of times, I over-oiled a K&N filter. Bike would barely run. Took the filter off, cleaned it again, oiled it again (more lightly) and problem solved. So, yes, I think you CAN over-oil these filters to the extent the bike will not run well.