'19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:18 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
how about the elephant in the room?

you don't have an iphone. You have an android.
The elephant eats outside. ***** outside. The elephant stays outside. Dogs and cats are welcome inside though 😃

Old 04-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Uberjason
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I wish someone that would just plug into the headset port and trick the system to CarPlay, I don't want to have to beg the dealership or some back alley Digital Technician II noise as I don't know about upgrades, etc. So in the mean time I just bought a magnetic tank iPod holder and crammed my enclosed headset into it. Plug in when I'm riding for CarPlay and Nav, I don't need to chat with anyone, I'm riding a harley.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:01 PM
Chameleon_Shark
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Braidy
Went into dealer after talking to a sales rep from Soundz, they do audio upgrades to Harley’s, and told them to hook up the digital technician and check off box for whim. I don’t have a whim installed, nor do I have the hard wire 7 pin for a headset. By telling the bike, either ecm or bcm (don’t know what the digitech actually communicates with), that a whim is installed it allows the CarPlay to work. Even if you bought a whim from dealer and brought it home to install, you’d have to go back to dealer and have them flash the radio for it to work. By just flashing the radio and “lying” to it about supposedly having a whim unit is all you need to do. Can’t take calls, can’t hear or respond to texts, but can use apple nav and anyother CarPlay comparable apps you have on your phone. I also feel like the sound quality is better as opposed to Bluetooth or even wired non-CarPlay of the music on my phone. I don’t want to talk on phone and don’t really care about texts while riding; I just wanted to use my wazes app for traffic and whatnot with the nav.
I literally made an account to post that this 100% works. I went to the dealer today and it works flawless. Thank you for the tip!

The following 2 users liked this post by Chameleon_Shark:
load97 (04-25-2019), RiderX (05-15-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 03:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i've noticed that there is some cross channeling of information going on here. here is my experience. i have a 2019 road glide special. i do not have a whim installed. i had the dealer flash the radio for the whim and i do have apple car play. anything that requires a mic does not work, ie. text, talk, etc. but the other CarPlay apps work fine. i have pandora, google maps, apple maps, and waze installed and they all work fine. i do have my phone plugged into the usb port of the bike. as far as 'wireless CarPlay' i don't have that, but i'm okay with plugging the phone in. keeps it charged. hope this helps someone.

The following 2 users liked this post by skratch:
load97 (05-03-2019), Zonktified (03-04-2020)
Old 04-26-2019, 06:18 AM
jroosh
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carplay and WHIM

Originally Posted by skratch
i've noticed that there is some cross channeling of information going on here. here is my experience. i have a 2019 road glide special. i do not have a whim installed. i had the dealer flash the radio for the whim and i do have apple car play. anything that requires a mic does not work, ie. text, talk, etc. but the other CarPlay apps work fine. i have pandora, google maps, apple maps, and waze installed and they all work fine. i do have my phone plugged into the usb port of the bike. as far as 'wireless CarPlay' i don't have that, but i'm okay with plugging the phone in. keeps it charged. hope this helps someone.
I just picked up my 2019 Ultra with the Boom! Box GTS from service last night after having the WHIM installed and the radio flashed. CarPlay on my bike only works when I turn on my Sena 30K and it connects to the bike. It seems to work exactly like the wired headsets only now it’s wireless.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:59 AM
林晉毅
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can be used without a microphone

Use DT II settings to disable wireless and wired headphones and disable Siri to use CarPlay directly

Last edited by 林晉毅; 05-04-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Mac daddy 103
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

I just got my radio flashed with the Techno research and now my car play works without a WHIM module

Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 PM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

I had the tech show me how he enables Carplay.

This only works if you do NOT have a WHIM installed,
if you do have a WHIM installed you must have a BT headset connected for AppleCarPlay to work.

The trick is pretty simple, in digital tech you need to disable the microphone option --> then bam apple carplay shows up on screen when i plugged my iphone.

Obviously I do not have any voice command functionality since I don't have a mic connected, but everything else from carplay works.

Also,
If you do get a WHIM later make sure to tell the tech to also enable the microphone when they enable your WHIM.
That will save you some serious headache.

The following 2 users liked this post by 14IronCross:
RiderX (05-15-2019), Zonktified (03-04-2020)
Old 05-09-2019, 01:22 AM
RgrMike
Stage IV

New to the forum - I found this by accident.

After some research, I decided to buy the Whim (which just broke - longer story). I installed it and the final step is to take it to the dealer so they can update the bikes Boom GTS head unit. They use the harley tech software and enable the setting for wireless headset.

For my day job I am a Computer Engineer - They are enabling the headset option that also turns on car play. This is just a simple software setting on the head unit.

The other day I was riding and heard a click - Whim died. Headset stopped working with the bike (HD 20K). It did, however, work to hit the headset siri button at which point the phone routed all calls and music through the Senna headset. The phone was still plugged into the Boom system - it just started routing audio to the headset. Note: I have not fully explored if this is a function of Apple AirPlay 2 or it is just a quirk of carplay.

The net is that you don't actually need a headset to get car play. You just need the Boom system set to have the headset profile enabled. This is nothing more than a checkbox on their tech laptop. Harley "Officially," says that you need a headset to enable car play. The only way to get a headset is with an Ultra or a CVO (which ship with the Wim and 2 headsets). Each option is $300 + mounting hardware + cable. The reality is that Car Play is installed at the factory and is turned on in the device firmware. The only way to turn it on is with the Harley Tech 2 laptop. Cheezy.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:23 AM
usmaleky
Novice

Yes, RgrMike is correct. The dealer can access the ECM and Boom GTS. Have the dealer find car play mic option and disable it. It's that simple.

Quick Reply: '19 M8 Boom GTS CarPlay Hack?