Sponsored by:

Re: American Iron series on sumping

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Re: American Iron series on sumping

Have read the American Iron series on sumping. At least the first 3 parts. Written by Donnie Peterson, who has often proven to be wrong. But he brought up something I had not heard before. In the beginning it was reported by various sources that the M8 vented into the transmission. That was proven to be wrong. But Peterson claims that the M8 vents through the cylinder heads as usual but also partially into a cavity in the transmission. First I have heard of this and curious if there is any truth in it.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:27 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,739 Likes on 4,521 Posts

there's a lot of 'venting' going on alright about these engines and transmissions!

Old 09-19-2018, 07:35 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,759 Likes on 1,567 Posts

It doesn't "vent", but does move air between them. The engine case and oil bag share air space through a passage running through the trans case. Been that way for a long time, Twin cams were the same way.

Last edited by lp; 09-19-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
It doesn't "vent", but does move air between them. The engine case and oil bag share air space through a passage running through the trans case. Been that way for a long time, Twin cams were the same way.
Thanks. Was not aware of that. I have had no reason to dig that deep into it.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Have to check on the M8

Last edited by harleytuner; 09-19-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: give this some thought
Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,763 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
The "oil bag" is bolted to the bottom of the transmission, but there is no passage into the transmission case cavity itself between either the oil reservoir or the engine case. The transmission does connect to the primary via the transmission main shaft tunnel that the clutch pushrod runs through. As long as the main seal in the engine is doing what it is suppose to do there should be no connection between the engine and the primary.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,759 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
The "oil bag" is bolted to the bottom of the transmission, but there is no passage into the transmission case cavity itself between either the oil reservoir or the engine case. The transmission does connect to the primary via the transmission main shaft tunnel that the clutch pushrod runs through. As long as the main seal in the engine is doing what it is suppose to do there should be no connection between the engine and the primary.
Not certain why you quoted me unless you were just adding on.

To clarify, the engine case is connected to the oil bag via an air port. This air port happens to run though the transmission case but it does not enter the actual transmission.
Like you said, the actual transmission cavity nor the primary cavity are connected via any air port to the engine case.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,622 Likes on 9,825 Posts

Not 100% on this "Sumping " Issue, but from what Ive read the engine oil is ending up in the Transmission, is that correct? I would think it is a design flaw or poor sealing between the two "compartments" if this is indeed the case

Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Not 100% on this "Sumping " Issue, but from what Ive read the engine oil is ending up in the Transmission, is that correct? I would think it is a design flaw or poor sealing between the two "compartments" if this is indeed the case
Transmission fluid is ending up in the primary on the bikes with the migration issue. Bikes that are sumping the engine oil is not being scavenged from the bottom of the crankcase. There have been issues with engine oil ending up in the primary but that's rare and totaly un-related. That issue is caused by a bad mainseal on the crankshaft.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,763 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Not certain why you quoted me unless you were just adding on.

To clarify, the engine case is connected to the oil bag via an air port. This air port happens to run though the transmission case but it does not enter the actual transmission.
Like you said, the actual transmission cavity nor the primary cavity are connected via any air port to the engine case.
I just don't usually call the oil tanks mounted below the transmissions oil bags, that term I have used for the tanks mounted under the seat. Nothing wrong with it, just not the terminology I usually use.

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Transmission fluid is ending up in the primary on the bikes with the migration issue. Bikes that are sumping the engine oil is not being scavenged from the bottom of the crankcase. There have been issues with engine oil ending up in the primary but that's rare and totaly un-related. That issue is caused by a bad mainseal on the crankshaft.
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Re: American Iron series on sumping