Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:24 PM
250starbuck
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

For a vent line, would it not look better to just use the same rubber tube they have on the transmission. It would come out of the primary case go down and back. You would never see it.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,257 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
You sure about that? That pic is for reference, scroll down. That's $tonecold's recent post from the "Fix is In" thread.
It's in the thread but look at the message below my last post here. That is an M8 cover. Stonecold was showing the mod for his twincam.

The following users liked this post:
Mattbastard (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It's in the thread but look at the message below my last post here. That is an M8 cover. Stonecold was showing the mod for his twincam.
Oh, I see, my mistake. I've never actually seen the cover on an M8 so I assumed that was the mod. Thanks for clarifying.

At least it looks like we have a 100% reliable fix, no?

Old 03-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,257 Likes on 3,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Oh, I see, my mistake. I've never actually seen the cover on an M8 so I assumed that was the mod. Thanks for clarifying.

At least it looks like we have a 100% reliable fix, no?
I would say 95%

Old 03-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

Did you drill & tap that primary to put that fitting on there?

Old 03-23-2019, 10:34 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertoid
Would a vent even be necessary if you're keeping the oil drained away from the shaft end?
Any pics of the 7 o'clock slot?
This is a valid question, it would have been nice to see if just machining the drain in the clutch cover would have eliminated the problem, drod would it be possible to plug the vent for a ride or two to see if the transfer was stopped with only modifying the clutch cover. Glad you got your transfer fixed, but would be nice to know if you need to do both procedures to accomplish it.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:24 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary1
Did you drill & tap that primary to put that fitting on there?
yes drilled and tapped...If you take the primary cover off there is a cavity in the top of the primary that shields that spot from slinging oil. it completely stopped the oil transfer. I need to make up a vent now that is hidden as much as possible. I am so thankful the oil stopped transferring I am not too worried about seeing it.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 PM
drod
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
This is a valid question, it would have been nice to see if just machining the drain in the clutch cover would have eliminated the problem, drod would it be possible to plug the vent for a ride or two to see if the transfer was stopped with only modifying the clutch cover. Glad you got your transfer fixed, but would be nice to know if you need to do both procedures to accomplish it.
I have redline shockproof in the trans and amsoil 20w50 in the primary...if I plugged the vent and it did transfer again...I would have to change the primary oil again to get the redline out...the clutch disc don't like gear oil...

Old 03-23-2019, 08:35 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

The "CURRENT" Factory fix is a primary vent but it is placed more toward the rear, again in a cavity that prevents oil from directly exiting. The outer primary and clutch pack was removed and the inner was drilled and tapped, then everything reinstalled. The fitting was not painted black but I will do so when I get the bike back. It is not very noticeable at all. Factory Tech assured me that the transfer will stop. The hose is run up and behind the frame tube behind the side cover and the hose is looped back downward (like the top of a cane) to prevent water from entering. This was done recently on my bike by a FACTORY tech. I can't post a pic since my bike won't be delivered back home till April...….

Some early ones were done like the one shown here towards the front of the primary. In my opinion, the vent hose is not routed down in the event any oil mist or residue gets into the hose, it will not get onto the back tire or road surface.

Eagle Out

Last edited by 103Eagle; 03-23-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:38 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I run RL shockproof in trans & Formula + in primary, I've had a 3-4 oz transfer a couple of times & no problems with the clutch, but don't blame you for not trying it, just would have been nice to know which fixed the problem. I think allowing the trans fluid away from the clutch rod is the answer, we'll see, glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: Transfer Issue