Sponsored by:

M8 burned oil and loss of power what does harley do in 2019

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:31 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
While a stock M8 107 has a lower probability of sumping based on reported examples, there have still been numerous examples of stock 107s that have sumped. In fact, there have been a fair number of posts reporting stock Trikes that have sumped. Perhaps the additional drivetrain load and weight contributes to potential sumping conditions.

Where did you get the “1%” figure from. Is that just your personal “SWAG” or a sourced data point?
Absolutely a SWAG. I hear what you are saying, and won’t be stunned if the OP is experiencing both phenomena simultaneously on a stock engine within the first month of ownership after operating it at 60mph.

BUT, it seems to me, that the odds of his dealership failing to set his bike up properly before delivery (as an example of what can go wrong) would seem greater than what he posted. I don’t know him, I have no reason to doubt him....but this just seems ....well......odd.

ill be anxious to follow his saga.

Last edited by cmhdwg09; 06-02-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:37 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,647 Likes on 6,928 Posts

OP stated 2019 Tri Glide, has a 114 CU M8 with updated oil pump I expect. Could be sumping, following thread as it is of interest. My 2019 Tri Glide is scheduled for the HD Primary vent kit fix as it has transferred about 5oz from the tranny to the primary in 4,000 miles.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
Absolutely a SWAG. I hear what you are saying, and won’t be stunned if the OP is experiencing both phenomena simultaneously on a stock engine within the first month of ownership after operating it at 60mph.

BUT, it seems to me, that the odds of his dealership failing to set his bike up properly before delivery (as an example of what can go wrong) would seem greater than what he posted. I don’t know him, I have no reason to doubt him....but this just seems ....well......odd.

ill be anxious to follow his saga.
I can’t imagine anything a dealer could do in “prep” that would make a bike more susceptible to sumping. My guess is that its an early 2019 with the 2018 “non-seal” oil pump. The question will be if he caused any damage to the bearings when it overheated.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:43 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Poster here had a brand new 2017 sump before it ever left the dealer lot back when the M8 came out. So far so good with my 18.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:54 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I'm glad to see HD is getting a handle on the M8 engine/power train problems. I guess there are still some "minor issues" that need to get ironed out. But hey, wouldn't a guy expect engine problems with a machine he only paid 36K plus fees & taxes for?

Old 06-03-2019, 07:30 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

OP, I have read somewhere there were s few early 19’s that came through without the o ring for the new style pumps. It may be as simple as that. Get the build date if you can. Also make sure they do a leak down test on the engine before and after they pull it apart. HD (factory) is noted for not replacing cylinders/pistons/rings unless there is a 10% leak down. Mine had a 5% leak down on the rear cylinder, with some light scoring on the cylinder and piston and wouldn’t replace them. How many miles on the bike?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:27 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

I can’t imagine anything a dealer could do in “prep” that would make a bike more susceptible to sumping. My guess is that its an early 2019 with the 2018 “non-seal” oil pump. The question will be if he caused any damage to the bearings when it overheated.
Ahh....see....you misunderstood. I wasn’t trying to infer that a dealer had done anything to create sumping, just that general mistakes can be made in set up that could cause issues. Difference here is I’m not assuming it is sumping while at the same time keeping an open mind that it could well be. My only attempt here was to say that in my untrained view of the issue, the odds of setup shortcomings or mechanical anamolies at delivery are at least as good as sumping/transfer within the first month of ownership. We’ll just have to wait and see what the outcome ultimately is.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
Ahh....see....you misunderstood. I wasn’t trying to infer that a dealer had done anything to create sumping, just that general mistakes can be made in set up that could cause issues. Difference here is I’m not assuming it is sumping while at the same time keeping an open mind that it could well be. My only attempt here was to say that in my untrained view of the issue, the odds of setup shortcomings or mechanical anamolies at delivery are at least as good as sumping/transfer within the first month of ownership. We’ll just have to wait and see what the outcome ultimately is.
I honestly don't believe I misunderstood you at all. Given his description of the symptoms, there is no other conclusion I can reach other than the engine sumped rather severely. And there is nothing in a dealer's prep & setup process on a newly delivered bike that could inadvertently induce an engine to display the symptoms described.

Can you share a "general mistake in setup" that you believe could cause the symptoms the OP described?

Last edited by Heatwave; 06-03-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

I honestly don't believe I misunderstood you at all. Given his description of the symptoms, there is no other conclusion I can reach other than the engine sumped rather severely. And there is nothing in a dealer's prep & setup process on a newly delivered bike that could inadvertently induce an engine to display the symptoms described.

Can you share a "general mistake in setup" that you believe could cause the symptoms the OP described?
No need.....I have no issue with you being absolutely sure that his bike is sumping and transferring oil within the first 1000 miles of delivery. I’ll be curious to see how this goes. Let’s just hope he satisfactorily gets the issue resolved.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:22 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,173 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Another low-count poster with both of HD's "widespread" <sarcasm> problems. Sigh. 'Tis the season.

Quick Reply: M8 burned oil and loss of power what does harley do in 2019