Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Milwaukee Eight (M8)
Reload this Page >

Need help troubleshooting my bike regarding SE pro street tuner

Notices
Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion

Need help troubleshooting my bike regarding SE pro street tuner

 
  #1  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 AM
matte
matte is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,227
Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Need help troubleshooting my bike regarding SE pro street tuner

I have a 2017 RGS. I have V&H power duals with a performance machine Jet AC that I just installed. The night I installed the AC, I fired the bike up and make sure there was no overt problems. RPMs were super high and I presumed it was because of the high flow AC and the engine needed to be tuned. This was planned for last night.

I am using the SE pro street tuner for warranty purposes (not going with another so please don't bother with that). I went to autotune last night and found that my RPMs would sit around 3000. For a few seconds, the engine with no throttle would go up to the 4000s, than slowly go back down to 3ks. After attempting to autotune on a local street, I was finding that the RPMs were not allowing the map to really collect data accurately. The bike persistently would be pulling and I couldn't easily get the RPMs down without braking while in a higher gear. I switched to a default stage 1 map and it appeared to calm down the idle to around 12-1500 (which still felt too high for an idle).

This morning I fired the bike up and the idle stuck around as I had left it (12-1500). As soon as I got on to ride, the RPMs shot back up to 3000 and stuck there down my road. The bike was back to pulling no matter the gear and wanted to sit at that higher RPM area. Couldn't ride it in to work like that so brought it home into the garage to mess with it again tonight.

I will likely get it to a dealer, but they are typically backed up around here. Any thoughts on where my problem could be in this situation?
 
  #2  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Harttoo's Avatar
Harttoo
Harttoo is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,113
Received 107 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

I would remove the A/C and see if idle returns to normal.Should be 950 rpm.
 
The following users liked this post:
matte (06-07-2019)
  #3  
Old 06-07-2019, 08:10 AM
mjwebb's Avatar
mjwebb
mjwebb is online now
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: State of Confusion
Posts: 5,437
Received 1,843 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by matte View Post
I have a 2017 RGS. I have V&H power duals with a performance machine Jet AC that I just installed. The night I installed the AC, I fired the bike up and make sure there was no overt problems. RPMs were super high and I presumed it was because of the high flow AC and the engine needed to be tuned. This was planned for last night.

I am using the SE pro street tuner for warranty purposes (not going with another so please don't bother with that). I went to autotune last night and found that my RPMs would sit around 3000. For a few seconds, the engine with no throttle would go up to the 4000s, than slowly go back down to 3ks. After attempting to autotune on a local street, I was finding that the RPMs were not allowing the map to really collect data accurately. The bike persistently would be pulling and I couldn't easily get the RPMs down without braking while in a higher gear. I switched to a default stage 1 map and it appeared to calm down the idle to around 12-1500 (which still felt too high for an idle).

This morning I fired the bike up and the idle stuck around as I had left it (12-1500). As soon as I got on to ride, the RPMs shot back up to 3000 and stuck there down my road. The bike was back to pulling no matter the gear and wanted to sit at that higher RPM area. Couldn't ride it in to work like that so brought it home into the garage to mess with it again tonight.

I will likely get it to a dealer, but they are typically backed up around here. Any thoughts on where my problem could be in this situation?
wondering if there is an AC/intake leak..?? are the V&H power duals catless? I believe they are and if so why stick with with the SEPST for warranty purposes when you already kicked that to the curb with emissions defeating exhaust which is a warranty violation..I'd double check the AC and work with V&H on using their FP3 tuner unless their exhaust is emissions compliant, in which case the SEPST should be ok in theory anyway
 
  #4  
Old 06-07-2019, 08:20 AM
matte
matte is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,227
Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Harttoo View Post
I would remove the A/C and see if idle returns to normal.Should be 950 rpm.
That will be on my agenda tonight. So if it's an intake leak, then it could cause that. But no AC on at all wouldn't have that problem?
 
  #5  
Old 06-07-2019, 08:42 AM
sixguns's Avatar
sixguns
sixguns is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SW Washington State
Posts: 3,203
Received 620 Likes on 422 Posts
Default

Sounds like you upset the manifold seals when you did your air cleaner swap. what did the instructions say with regards to the TB support bracket between the oem backing plate and the heads? Typically that bracket gets discarded with air cleaner upgrades.
 

Last edited by sixguns; 06-07-2019 at 09:00 AM.
  #6  
Old 06-07-2019, 11:30 AM
matte
matte is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,227
Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sixguns View Post
Sounds like you upset the manifold seals when you did your air cleaner swap. what did the instructions say with regards to the TB support bracket between the oem backing plate and the heads? Typically that bracket gets discarded with air cleaner upgrades.
Looking back at the instructions, there's a part that says to discard the throttle body support spacer. Will look it over tonight to see if there was a part I forgot to toss.
 
  #7  
Old 06-07-2019, 08:45 PM
edmroadglide
edmroadglide is offline
New Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Posts: 74
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

ya you have an intake leak for sure somewhere causing it to run lien and raise the rpm.
 
  #8  
Old 06-07-2019, 10:50 PM
matte
matte is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,227
Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default

Fixed the problem I believe. There was one last bracket I failed to see when taking off the stock ac which caused a gap. Now it's idling between 1000 and 1500. I still think I need to further auto tune the bike. But for now it appears to be running much better.
 
  #9  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:40 AM
matte
matte is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,227
Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts
Default

Discovered a new problem. I finally flashed the bike airport and did some riding to allow the street tuner to better learn the new setup.

Riding home today, my bike had a p0505 code. I noticed while at idle at lights, my bike would idle down to around 800 rpms and blip to 1000 repeatedly. This is different than what others I've read experience where I see persistent higher rpms. I'm gonna get at the idle air control sensor this week and either clean it or test it/replace it necessary. Any other thoughts on this funny idle activity?
 
  #10  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:38 AM
skid_pimp's Avatar
skid_pimp
skid_pimp is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1,711
Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts
Default

I think the SE tuner is not going to be able to tune the aftermarket intake and exhaust combination you chose correctly. If you wanted to stay EPA/warranty compliant, you probably should have only done slipons with an intake of choice. I think those true duals need more adjustment than you are able to provide with the SE tuner. And this is likely where your issues are arising from.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: