Sponsored by:

2019 Hydraulic Clutch Concern

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 AM
howard829
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2019 Hydraulic Clutch Concern

On my 2019 Street Glide Special, with 15,000 miles on it, I had an issue the other day that I'm curious if any other owners has experienced. After a few hours of riding then the bike sitting for about an hour I started it up and engaged the clutch for 1st gear. Immediately I experienced the bike wanting to take off with moderate relaxed pressure on the clutch lever. Usually I ease off the lever a little and the clutch engages then starts moving. I noticed there wasn't much resistance in the clutch lever after putting the bike back in neutral. I pumped the lever, shut the bike off and after a few minutes the lever felt reasonably better. I was able to continue the ride without issue. I notified my local HD dealer about this concern and to my pleasant surprise they notified the MOTO and it was decided I should bring the bike in for some testing, which I will do Monday 7-15-19. Has anyone experienced the condition I described? Maybe there was an air bubble or moisture in the clutch fluid?

Thanks...

Old 07-14-2019, 07:24 AM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 382 Likes on 233 Posts

Have the same bike and no problem, but then I'm also knocking on my wooden table as I state this.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:37 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by howard829
On my 2019 Street Glide Special, with 15,000 miles on it, I had an issue the other day that I'm curious if any other owners has experienced. After a few hours of riding then the bike sitting for about an hour I started it up and engaged the clutch for 1st gear. Immediately I experienced the bike wanting to take off with moderate relaxed pressure on the clutch lever. Usually I ease off the lever a little and the clutch engages then starts moving. I noticed there wasn't much resistance in the clutch lever after putting the bike back in neutral. I pumped the lever, shut the bike off and after a few minutes the lever felt reasonably better. I was able to continue the ride without issue. I notified my local HD dealer about this concern and to my pleasant surprise they notified the MOTO and it was decided I should bring the bike in for some testing, which I will do Monday 7-15-19. Has anyone experienced the condition I described? Maybe there was an air bubble or moisture in the clutch fluid?

Thanks...
haven't heard of this, but glad they are getting you in tomorrow as it could be a safety issue obviously..did your bike have the clutch recall performed?

Old 07-14-2019, 07:50 AM
howard829
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mjwebb
haven't heard of this, but glad they are getting you in tomorrow as it could be a safety issue obviously..did your bike have the clutch recall performed?
No recalls on the 2019 that I'm aware of.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:56 AM
howard829
Intermediate

Just an update on my 2019 SGS. Got the bike into the dealership today (total clutch failure while riding) and the problem turned out to be the "clutch actuator." They replaced this part that was from the 2017-2018 recall #0173. As of this time they have no knowledge that any 2019's are involved with this problem. Aren't I the lucky one.

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 PM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 523 Likes on 246 Posts

Just an update on my 2019 SGS. Got the bike into the dealership today (total clutch failure while riding) and the problem turned out to be the "clutch actuator." They replaced this part that was from the 2017-2018 recall #0173. As of this time they have no knowledge that any 2019's are involved with this problem. Aren't I the lucky one.
Except the ones they installed the Bad Actuators on.

The following 2 users liked this post by pgrchaplain:
Firenailer (07-15-2019), Maccam26 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:13 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Thanks...
NO air bubble at all. The Clutch Master Cylinder has to be replaced, or something in the clutch. I had it happen three times on my 2015 Ultra. I finally took it in and that was what was done to fix mine. This isn't a "one-off" problem. There have been several people here that have had this problem. And the MOCO DOES know about it!
I hate these hydraulic clutches. I can't think of a single thing that is good about them. You can't adjust the friction zone, and they are very prone to quit working out on the road, and leave you stranded. At least the sumping and transfer problems don't leave you sitting on the side of the road. Hydraulic clutches will!

I'm out of patience with Harley and it's persistent design issues. WE deserve a LOT better machines. And Harley's answer to that: "Oh, don't worry about problems. Just buy this $5000 extended warranty and we'll cover everything for you." Man, their arrogance is beyond comprehension. And what slays me is people fall for it! Goodnight! How stupid can we be?

The following 2 users liked this post by GOV5:
blap (03-29-2020), V-Dawg (01-02-2021)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
NO air bubble at all. The Clutch Master Cylinder has to be replaced, or something in the clutch. I had it happen three times on my 2015 Ultra. I finally took it in and that was what was done to fix mine. This isn't a "one-off" problem. There have been several people here that have had this problem. And the MOCO DOES know about it!
I hate these hydraulic clutches. I can't think of a single thing that is good about them. You can't adjust the friction zone, and they are very prone to quit working out on the road, and leave you stranded. At least the sumping and transfer problems don't leave you sitting on the side of the road. Hydraulic clutches will!

I'm out of patience with Harley and it's persistent design issues. WE deserve a LOT better machines. And Harley's answer to that: "Oh, don't worry about problems. Just buy this $5000 extended warranty and we'll cover everything for you." Man, their arrogance is beyond comprehension. And what slays me is people fall for it! Goodnight! How stupid can we be?
Pretty much like...um.....50 years now they have done the same thing....gotta do your homework if you thought u bought a high end bike....farm tractors from thev1900s....but most of us hot rod them so could give a flying flunk about pissant promblems. My new mercedes oil pump just took a chit....who cares.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 AM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,272 Likes on 708 Posts

A broken clutch cable will leave you stuck as well! Sooooo?

The following 2 users liked this post by jake24lt:
blap (03-29-2020), gunnar (03-29-2020)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Pretty much like...um.....50 years now they have done the same thing....gotta do your homework if you thought u bought a high end bike....farm tractors from thev1900s....but most of us hot rod them so could give a flying flunk about pissant promblems. My new mercedes oil pump just took a chit....who cares.
Oh, you have a Mercedes do you? VERY INTERESTING!

Quick Reply: 2019 Hydraulic Clutch Concern