Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Mainshaft Transmission Oil Deflector (P/N 36300026)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 07:28 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,765 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
You don't need to remove the exhaust, just need to remove the mufflers and the crossover clamp, and loosen the clamp that's near the cam chest, then loosen the header nuts. The only reason you have to do this is to remove the outer trans cover. I'd suggest trimming the lower part of the outer trans cover ~1/8" so you can remove it in the future without messing with the exhaust.
You don't even need to remove the mufflers, just remove the rear mount bolts from the left side muffler, the crossover mount bolt, and loosen the nuts on the studs at the exhaust ports on the heads. That will let the system move enough to get to the transmission cover bolts. We did six cam changes without removing the exhaust system, just pulled it out of the way. It may be necessary to use something like a piece of 2x4 to hold it out while you work, it doesn't want to stay out of the way on its own.

The following users liked this post:
TexasMotorcycleRider (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:41 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 445 Posts

I'd suggest trimming the lower part of the outer trans cover ~1/8" so you can remove it in the future without messing with the exhaust.
That would be a hard no. It's not something that I will be doing (if ever) that often. I am going to watch my fluid and make the determination whether it's worth the effort or not. So far I have about 150 miles and the level has not changed so hopeful that this works without having to dig into my trans.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:42 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
You don't even need to remove the mufflers, just remove the rear mount bolts from the left side muffler, the crossover mount bolt, and loosen the nuts on the studs at the exhaust ports on the heads. That will let the system move enough to get to the transmission cover bolts. We did six cam changes without removing the exhaust system, just pulled it out of the way. It may be necessary to use something like a piece of 2x4 to hold it out while you work, it doesn't want to stay out of the way on its own.
The exhaust gaskets don't get booger'd up? If not I may poke around there and remove it just for ***** and giggles. I assume after you remove the outer cover the rest is pretty easy. Loosening a few bolts on the exhaust is no problem.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 10-15-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:11 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,765 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
The exhaust gaskets don't get booger'd up? If not I may poke around there and remove it just for ***** and giggles. I assume after you remove the outer cover the rest is pretty easy. Loosening a few bolts on the exhaust is no problem.
I still have the same exhaust gaskets in the motor that I had before we started testing cams. So I loosened and moved the exhaust six times. I think you will be fine.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:19 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I still have the same exhaust gaskets in the motor that I had before we started testing cams. So I loosened and moved the exhaust six times. I think you will be fine.
Good to know/.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:36 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
That would be a hard no. It's not something that I will be doing (if ever) that often. I am going to watch my fluid and make the determination whether it's worth the effort or not. So far I have about 150 miles and the level has not changed so hopeful that this works without having to dig into my trans.
When you change clutch hydraulic fluid, it’s worth trimming the cover. The clutch fluid bleeder is behind that cover and the DOT4 fluid needs changed at least every two years.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:05 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

When you change clutch hydraulic fluid, it’s worth trimming the cover. The clutch fluid bleeder is behind that cover and the DOT4 fluid needs changed at least every two years.

Understood but would rather loosen the exhaust than grind on my cover.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:55 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

The outer cover and inner cover of the tranny have to be removed in order to remove the plastic deflector button. The inner cover secures it into place in the main shaft.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:59 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Anyone go through the process on a 2019 and find that the deflector wasn't there? If so, what is the build date?

Old 10-21-2019, 07:43 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Well, 500 miles since I installed the vent and the trans level has not moved one bit. I guess the deflector is staying in until I get so curious about it I crack it open just for sharts and giggles.

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasMotorcycleRider:
BrandonSmith (10-21-2019), Goose_NC (12-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Removing the Mainshaft Transmission Oil Deflector (P/N 36300026)